Once a week enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once a week enough?

OK. I live at school monday through friday, so I can only train on the weekends. Just quit TKD, found a BJJ school, checked them out and everyone there seems like good people and they train pretty hard. They even have a class on Sundays (so I can go on the weekend).

PROBLEM: It's mostly just open mat on Sundays. I don't want to keep anyone from having fun and rolling just because I'm a n00b and need to learn basic stuff before I can partake. Should I wait until I can go more times in the week, or should I just go for it and learn what I can?
    sudo make me a sandwich!

I say just take every opportunity. On the Saturdays, even if you're a pain in the ass to the veterans, it's the schools job to teach you, and it'll be good experience for you to roll with more experienced players. btw, do you have any MA clubs at your school that you could perhaps go to on weekdays?

Comment

Go as much as possible, using what you learn to roll with only help with the entire learning process, think of learning technique as getting the pieces to a puzzle and rolling as putting those pieces together to get the entire picture.

Comment

I personally like to get it once a day, but I'm not in res anymore and I dropped that wench....

I'm all yours now Stooge
        Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Go to the open mat, Izzy. Any BJJschool worth their salt would be happy to help you learn. Plus that's another way for you to learn, the more experienced guys will be able to find and point out the holes in your game.
          Last edited by Psycho Dad; 5/27/2004 10:37pm, .
          Originally posted by Newb1

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Comment

I would think that bjj would be especially difficult to learn once a week.

Especially starting from zilch.

Comment

Difficult's fine with me, I'd love a challenge.

meowrsx: lol yeah we have a shorin-ryu karate club, but all they do is kata. Nothing else. I don't think they'd be willing to roll.

Thanks for the advice :-)
              sudo make me a sandwich!

Comment

You can learn a ton that way. I had one ground class in 3 months, the rest was rolling once a week with anyone who would let me and at the point I could hold my own against anyone with a similar amount of time who went to more classes. You can definitely learn good grappling skills from rolling, but to land submissions regularly you'll have to drill them.

Comment

There's no teacher like experience.

Show up anyway - even if it's just to watch. If you get a chance to roll with the more experienced guys, then do it.
                  "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Comment

I'd say once a week isn't "enough", but it's certainly better than nothing!
                    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
                    "Fag."
                    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Comment

Antagony is teh correct
                      Seriously, most likely grabbing somebodies crotch like that is only going to make your situation much, much worse. Unless the person doing the gullotine has no pants on, then it's okay as long as they bought you dinner first. - Kidnemo

I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings - Max Payne

Comment

Go whenever you can. And when you go even if you're not on the mat, watch whoever is and study, study, study. I attend a university and I'm always short on time so when I can go to class/practice, I just have to make the quality make up for the quantity.

Comment

Working...
                        X