X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benjamin
    replied
    Australian spelling
    no seriously we spell it that way, change you computers language to english Australian and have a go, or if you that bored gunstaple your nut sac to a ruler and set said ruler on fire... it much of a muchness

Leave a comment:

• meowrsx
    replied
    Originally posted by tkdan28
    yeah... and they can't even spell defense right!!!
    Or they mean defence as in taking down fences or antifencing techniques.

Leave a comment:

• tkdan28
    replied
    yeah... and they can't even spell defense right!!!

I work for a company whose global HQ is in France and I have a sub in Montreal. I try to slam non-American spelling every chance I get ;) And it is color, damn it.

Leave a comment:

• EternalRage
    replied
    I hate v-necks... more like construction worker t-shirts. I really like Karate uniforms though. Feels like pajamas so i always sleepy in class.

Leave a comment:

• Colin
    replied
    FUCKING NOBODY in Australia charges for introductory classes. Hell - the Judo school I'm at let me come for nearly a month before they'd let me start giving them any money.

Leave a comment:

• Colin
    replied
    About four or five years ago when I was Gym busting, I visited a 'National Taekwondo' school in Harrington street, Hobart CBD. I went with a friend one night, keen to spar against some of their students, but (as this was a 'seniors' session) the instructor told us to come back the next night.

The next night..
    Chester and I rock up with our Gi's in our bags, ready to rock their world. When we went into the class, we were asked to pay $10 for the evening.

TEN fucking dollars for an introductory lesson. I smelled bullshit straight away, (incidentally didn't even have $10 in my pocket) and asked if we could sit there and watch their training. He said no. I walked out in disgust, and never went back.

Leave a comment:

• Xodus
    replied
    Dude - I know national tae kwon do and they are indeed a weird bunch (I lived in australia and trained tae kwon do in the 80s)

They are actually a fragment of the Rhee Tae Kwon Do bunch who are equally dodgey. Mr Allen Burne was a 5th degree blackbelt in Rhee tae Kwon do and their head instructor in Canberra. He obviously figured 'why should someone else get all the money' and started his own chain of dodgey Tae Kwon Do dojos. He has probably promoted himself to 9th dan master or something by now.

Is it any good? For fitness, yes, and its good enough to give them an edge over the average guy on the streets unless they try something stupid like a jump spinning heel kick.

Lots of emphasis on Kata, 'free sparring' is the thing that is probably the most destructive part of it. People are encouraged to fully extend their techniques without hitting your opponent (yes absolutely no contact at all) which just means their sense of distancing is completely wrong. There is absolutely no grappling at all.

I met Mr head honcho when he was younger (some 20+ years ago) and he was obviously thuggish enough to hold his own in a real fight although I doubt he could have beat someone as physically gifted as himself who did something more practical like Mauy thai. And any student from there would get pounded by anyone who knows anything about ground fighting or grappling. They don't even teach takedown defense of any sort.

(but they can break boards with their bare knuckles.)

Leave a comment:

• poet
    replied
    That's just mean :)

Leave a comment:

• WhiteShark
    replied
    What do you think this guy's Kiai sounds like? hehehe

http://www.nationaltaekwondo.com.au/...s/Jonathon.htm

Leave a comment:

• Hannibal
    replied
    Thanks mate.

We have our fairshare of bullshit here in Sydney too.

Leave a comment:

• Phrost
    replied
    I'd suggest sitting in on an advanced class or two and seeing how they 'spar'. If there's no contact whatsoever, heh....

Leave a comment:

• MaverickZ
    replied
    all the schools i've ever trained at were non ITF or WTF, and I thank them for that.

Leave a comment:

• m4949
    replied
    Originally posted by armbarcrashtest
    After taking a better look at the newbie rules - Here's why I'm dissing National TKD.

- They will teach you exactly 178 leg techniques. (Testimonials and footage).
    - You will learn to 'Free Spar' (no contact) when you are 'proficient and experienced'. (Testimonials and footage)
    - They deride 'Sport TKD as games' with no defensive value (FAQ). I think 'pretending' to hit each other - 'Free Sparring' is a bit like a 'game'.
    - And cause the videos are to funny for words.
    - Not WTF or ITF (the sure sign of BS in my TKD book).

Joe.
    All I can do is Judge the site, not the students.
    I really see nothing wrong with not teaching sparring until basic techniques are learned. In fact, I find that quite common and prudent.
    I agree with the comments about sport TKD. While it is contact, the point system does cause some bad habits in fighters (IE no face punching). I don't think I would totally write off sport TKD fighting. But in my area, schools that train in this do only this, and students never learn practical applications. I find nothing wrong with no contact point fighting either, as long as it is not taught as "self defense".
    The videos are ok, I'd like to see a larger frame size. The kids are a lot better that most TKD kids I see in my area.
    Finally, not being part of the WTF or ITF is a plus to me. I find most Korean schools that belong to some "international organization" have far worse students and teachers than schools that seaparated them.

Now, If I could actually go there, I may change my opinions. They could all suck really bad. But just based off the site, it does't look all that bad for a TKD school.

Leave a comment:

• armbarcrashtest
    replied
    After taking a better look at the newbie rules - Here's why I'm dissing National TKD.

- They will teach you exactly 178 leg techniques. (Testimonials and footage).
    - You will learn to 'Free Spar' (no contact) when you are 'proficient and experienced'. (Testimonials and footage)
    - They deride 'Sport TKD as games' with no defensive value (FAQ). I think 'pretending' to hit each other - 'Free Sparring' is a bit like a 'game'.
    - And cause the videos are to funny for words.
    - Not WTF or ITF (the sure sign of BS in my TKD book).

Joe.

Leave a comment:

• armbarcrashtest
    started a topic First Post - McDojo nomination

First Post - McDojo nomination

G'day all. Long time listener, first time caller. Just thought I'd join the spirit and post my nomination for a McDojo award. It's a Canberra, Australia based TKD that is really dodgy. I've seen these guys train - it's scarily bad. Got to love the music on the front page though.

www.nationaltaekwondo.com.au

Cheers,

Joe.

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X