Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need advice

Hey all,

Have a bout coming up in about a month. I know the dude hates my guts and would love to pound the ever living shit out of me ( something about his ex ).

I've been practising ju jitsu for about 18 years, and started arnis and tong long about 2 years ago.

He has been doing BJJ and wing chun for about 5 years.

I am 5'8", 150 pounds.

He's about 5'10", 176 pounds. Mostly flab but he definately has the strength advantage.

Any tips? Hoping to use his emotions to my advantage if I can.

Tips? Call the fight off, dude.
    If you have ground experince - great. If not, well.. ??????

put it this way: Strength advantage + Ground advatage = BIG advantage.
    video game reviews

Comment

Work a lot on takedowns, getting top posistion, and striking from it.

Don't be suprised if he catches you in a sub.

Good luck.

PS. He's thrown you a lifeline by doing WC.
      "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
      YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Comment

The ju jitsu allows me to hold my own on the ground, but I prefer not to go there if I can help it. Prefer fast hand techniques. The tong long vs wing chun should be interesting though.

Comment

have you grappled a BJJ guy before ?

Are you exceptional at takedown defense ?
          "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Comment

Is this a bout like in a tournament, or a "bout" like you huys are going out back and throwing down? Cause either way, I and, likely, everyone would love to see some video.

As for tips? Uh, well, I guess, try not to go to the ground. Hope that helps.
            Seriously, most likely grabbing somebodies crotch like that is only going to make your situation much, much worse. Unless the person doing the gullotine has no pants on, then it's okay as long as they bought you dinner first. - Kidnemo

I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings - Max Payne

Comment

I don't really know anything about Tong Long (praying mantis style??). Wing Chun, however - You can pretty much rely on the fact that he will be a headhunter. Perhaps use boxing-type punches, to try and keep him at the end of your reach. In REALLY close - your Ju-jitsu should help you just fine - but just outside of grappling range, just inside of maximum punching range, Wing Chun can be a bitch. His punches will likely be fast, but WC punches are a bit shorter range than boxing-style punches. Try to take advantage of that.

He'll likely be protecting his centreline well, so perhaps go for the side of his body?
              video game reviews

Comment

We regularly get BJJ guys coming in to roll at our club, and so far I've never had a problem submitting them ( I've had my fair share though ). Love takedown defense.

Comment

Well you sound like your all set then.

What do you usually catch the BJJers with ? Just out of interest ?

Comment

To be honest? The basics - RNC, ude gatame, ude garame, scissor chokes. Guess it's because they're the first ones I ever learned and now they're totally imprinted on my brain during the scuffle.

Comment

Yer, the basics always work well under pressure.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks man. Usually at tourneys I like to observe my opponents in the lead up fights before I compete against them, but unfortunately I don't have that luxury this time.

Comment

Any link to tournament info? I'm curious about the ruleset and stuff.

Comment

A bout as in a legit, on the mat deal. Yes, tong long as in praying mantis. Will remember the range issues, thanks KFC - I'll definately be trying to stay in a range to suit my needs. Tong long has definately taught me to utilise my knees, plams and elbows to a good degree - that's what I think I'll be doing when he goes wing chun all over me. Hope it works dammit.

Comment

Not as far as I know WS, but I'll definately be looking into it. Ruleset? Australian NAS but with kness, elbows and grappling allowed.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X