Nor Cal members I need some feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nor Cal members I need some feedback

Hi guys. I am looking for some feedback on the kind of response a MMA oriented gym would get in Yolo/Solano/Sac county area. Mainly centerd in Davis, CA since its pretty much where those counties all meet.

I am currently aiding an experienced muay thai trainer in seeing if it would be feesable in establishing a large gym based on the idea of producing MMA athletes aswell as train the casual person. We have the contacts to bring in BJJ/JUDO instructors into the mix. So they gym would be based on the usual Muay Thai BJJ MMA formula at its core and bring in instruction ideally from other fields IE wrestling, sambo, etc.

So could you Nor Cal Bulshidokas go for something like that or know of people who would? Do you locals think it could pull people out of what seems to be a mcdojo saturated environment in the area? Just trying to do some market research and any tips/info/or feedback from the locals or people who runs gyms would be great.

btw, If any of you are wondering I am not teaching just dealing with the business side of things.
    A.K.A. rocks your socks.

In the Berkeley/SF areas, the main gyms are all the Gracie Academies (esp Ralph's) and the Fairtex gym. You'll have trouble convincing any serious fighters to leave either of these and travel an hour to your gym. Don't know anything about your immediate area, though.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Comment

The target audiance is people out in the area since there really doesnt seem to be any schools dealing MMA in the Vacaville, Fairfield, Davis, Woodland, and to a lesser extent Sac Area. I know getting a fighter to leave would be next to impossible but the goal is to produce some serious fighters over time from the schools induction.
      A.K.A. rocks your socks.

Comment

http://www.bjj.org/academies/terry.html

I think Dave Terry (a Black belt under Rickson), or one of his purple belts runs the BJJ club at UCD. Also, I think he's got a few pro-MMA fighters that train in his Sacto gym. Keep in mind, this is what I've heard, I've never trained with Dave. But if I still lived in Dayvus, that's where I'd train...

I think if you move closer to Vacaville or Fairfield, you might have better luck. I recall a kajukenbo place in Fairfield and a Tracy kenpo place in both Fairfield and Vacaville. With all the airdales there, you might have some luck.
        Last edited by Ka-Bar; 4/28/2004 2:05am, .

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Comment

Ah ok, that is where the muay thai guy trains his BJJ right now. Ill have to dig deeper into who trains there.
          A.K.A. rocks your socks.

Comment

xero, read the edit of my previous post.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Comment

Mother fucker.

If this happens I'll hate all involved.

8 years in Davis, 8 years!

Comment

Yeah, Davis is too small and too into "holistic" arts more than they are into martial ones. I would suggest bringing either to sacramento or a big city where you have immediate clientel. Make sense? Commute to Davis would be taxing if I had to go two three times a week to train. Ideally I'd go every weeknight like I do with Shou Shu. So the dedication of the athletes is a factor, that's my second point. Location location location.

Comment

If you are going to do this you're going to have to treat it like a business. You need to find out how many students, paying how much a month, you need to keep your doors open.

I really don't think there are that many people in this area that want that hardcore of training. You're mostly going to get casual people or 18 year olds that have seen UFC and think it might be fun or they might be good at it.

I can count on one hand people at my dojo that would be interested in something like this. I'd go to learn some ground skills and to integrate them into the rest of my game, but I have no aspriations of being a fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Dochter
                    8 years in Davis, 8 years!
                    Bwahaha! Good thing you got some fancy paper to go with that, or I might have said you wasted 8 years.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Comment

Yeah, we currently are looking outside of Davis because as it has been said its small and out of the way ontop of being an business unfriendly environment. So two new possible locals are Sac or Vacaville but id prefer Sac.

I totally understand that it is a business. We have a tenative pricing structure and hours of operation worked out. My goal is to model it after my primary gym American Kickboxing Academy. They train hardcore fighters yet also offer the classes to the casual practicioner and it seems to work rather well. It will probably be a one to one copy scaled down some to accomadate the cost of operating differences in the bay vs the valley. All the input and advice you guys are giving me is great and will keep it all in mind when I go to write the business plan out.
                      A.K.A. rocks your socks.

Comment

costs in vacaville are much higher being closer to the bay area.Sac would be your best bet.You just have to compete with the thousands of TKD schools.stear clear of roseville,they already have a good kickboxing school established there'marionobles kickboxing and bok fu'.the bok fu is a little flashy but the kickboxing is good.
                        JOHN DOE
                        Hmmm. I'll kill him. I'll kill him dead. Like with, with a, rock or something. Like a, like a stone.
                        evil master betty

Comment

Originally posted by Guerilla Fists
                          Yeah, Davis is too small and too into "holistic" arts more than they are into martial ones.
                          Davis has 3 decent sized McDojoesque schools within 1 mile of the center of downtown. Plus a ton of smaller schools and club teams.

As of a year ago I could name 10+ bouncers that would love such a school. Plus the disenchanted tmaers of the area and the continual influx of new students means that almost any school can do well.

Hell advertise at some frats and you'll get some rich kids to support such a school.

Comment

Thats a good point you bring up. I totally failed to consider the constant influx of students.
                            A.K.A. rocks your socks.

Comment

The 24hr Fitness in Davis is the shithole of the franchise, it also gets new members ever school year and is a major cash cow.

Gyms seem like they can do pretty well in college towns. You'd be competing against a score of tkd/karate point fighters but that would be the case anywhere...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X