Guns and Health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guns and Health

Perhaps somewhat OT for this forum, but in a related vein. I was wondering if any gun-nuts here could tell me about the effects of gun-usage and lead exposure for the user (as opposed to the poor schmuck on the receiving end, of course). How much lead will a person be exposed to from firing guns in a range? Outdoors vs. indoors? Will it cover your body, or more your hands? How does wind factor into it?

Indoor ranges have been getting a lot of flak lately for this very reason, though i don't know how valid anyone's claims are.
    Brendayan
    Fury's Edge
    Morell-Thule

Comment

Just buy jacketed rounds and quit yer cryin'
      “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

It depends. Are we on an outdoor range or indoor?

Some of the indoor ranges, especially old militree or police ranges, have horrific ventilation problems.

Assuming an outdoor range, your exposure is minimal. Remember, the exposure risk is in the primer, not the bullet. Thus, ammo makers started producing lead free primer ammo, e.g. "WinClen" ammo.

On an indoor range, exposure is dependent upon ventilation. The solution to pollution is dilution.

There are also health concerns when cleaning, dependent upon the type of cleaner. Ensure proper ventilation and watch what stuff you use.

Always wash your hands after shooting with cold water and lots of soap. As well, wash your hands after picking up your brass. Do not put your brass in your hat when collecting it.

Shower when you get home and wash your clothing after a trip to the range. Do not suck on empty brass!:D
        Kung fu is translated as "stand around and talk."

Comment

The ventilation is the main problem; tiny lead particles buildup in the air and if it's not ventilated, you end up breathing the stuff.

I seriously doubt it's going to kill you, or even make you sick, but just the same, don't go to a gun range that is stuffy and badly ventilated.

Comment

Indoor ranges often get shut down nowadays because of the high lead levels.

When I load a bunch of magazines with lead rounds my fingers get absolutely blackened. After practicing at the range for an hour or two my hands would also smell very strongly of gunpowder, lube, and cleaning solvent.

I have only ever practiced at an outdoor range, but if like 7 people are firing for 2 hours you do get a fairly strong gunpowder smell. It's probably pretty overpowering indoors.

So, yeah, I think you probably do get exposed to lead, fumes, and other unhealthy substances.

That's why it's fun to eat cheese doodles off the bench at the range. Stops you from licking the orange off your fingers...
            Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

It's not the lead, it's the cordite.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X