Self Defense and Fighting: differance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Defense and Fighting: differance?

Ok, today I had a really tough sparring session and rolled around with some buddies, and while I was sitting on the couch resting I began to wonder something. Is self defense applicable to MMA style fighting, and is MMA style fighting applicable to self defense? let me explain:

I have seen, been shown, and been told about so many self defense techniques. Some I could just look at and say "crap" while others I would think to myself "wow, that would really be effective!" but after today I started wondering. If all that self defense stuff is so effective, how come you can't seem to use it in sparring? When it comes to stand up, everyones techniques look pretty much the same (usually the only variation being that they are adapted to their body type) and so why would these techniques work if you can't use them in sparring or MMA?

Maybe I'm just being stupid. I mean, there ARE rules to sparring and such, so maybe thats what stops it... also you're going up against a usually trained opponent so that means run of the mill self defense doesn't work. I dunno. What are your thoughts on the subject?

I think you have stumbled on what most people that spar full contact find...that those little tricks won't work on anyone remotely compotent.
    On an untrained moron, well you are rolling the dice.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

Re: Self Defense and Fighting: differance?

Originally posted by JKing
      If all that self defense stuff is so effective, how come you can't seem to use it in sparring?
      Answer: Because you can't practice it very well in an "alive" mannor. For example, the deadly nature of neck breaking techniques prevent you from doing them against a fully resisting opponent thus you never know if you can use it against a fully resisting attacker (aka real attacker). That's why most Self-Defense training is crap. That and the defensive/reflexive/anti mindset.

Comment

i break it down into 3 area's when i train.sparring becouse i love fighting.kata's for stance transition and it helps practice different strikes and blocks,and self defense techniques are for quick attacks from apponents who think you dont see it coming like a jerk at the bar.since working in a prison i have discovered why there are self defense techniques.not everyone says hey lets fight and gets into a stance.most untrained people fight dirty to get a upper hand and thats where the reflex and self defense training comes in.
        JOHN DOE
        Hmmm. I'll kill him. I'll kill him dead. Like with, with a, rock or something. Like a, like a stone.
        evil master betty

Comment

oh yeah if you end up using sparring techniques in a fight its becouse your self defense technique went wrong or failed you.
          JOHN DOE
          Hmmm. I'll kill him. I'll kill him dead. Like with, with a, rock or something. Like a, like a stone.
          evil master betty

Comment

Jking needs to do more kata.

Comment

It also comes down to proficiency. How many times can you practice a double-leg takedown or a left jab or a triangle choke? Thousands, if you train regularly. How many times can you practice groin shots, eye-gouges, biting, breaking fingers, etc. . . And 'pretending' doesn't count ie. eye-gouging a dummy or using a quarter-power knee to someone's groin while their wearing a cup. I don't 'pretend' to hit a guy with a MT leg kick, I actually do it, sometimes at 100% power on a fully resisting opponent. If you practice a move over and over and over until you are really good at it, even against a trained guy resisting as hard as he can, chances are it will be a 'deadlier' move than some dirty trick that you've never executed on a live human being and actually have no idea how to apply in a chaotic 'real-world' situation.

This is why combat 'athletes' (boxers, wrestlers, MT fighters, judoka, BJJ grapplers, hell even rugby players) tend to be so formidable in a real fight against the much-hyped 'street-fighter'. They have the training and muscle memory, not to mention the mental toughness and conditioning, to actually do some serious damage in an unarmed melee.

Go to www.straightblastgym.com and read the articles. Thorton does a much better job than me explaining the whole concept.
              "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
              "Shadow Box"

Comment

yeah, I know all about straight blast gym. when I saw his stuff on aliveness i was like "dude... you're a genious!!!" because it validated my thoughts on the subject. Maybe I should have added this question to the top: "How would a person make self defense usable?" seeing as how you dont want to cripple your training partner

Comment

don't forget that sparring gets you used to getting beat up and beating up other people. that self-defense crap won't be worth a damn unless you have the balls to use it on someone.

Comment

Comment

Wait. Disregard that. My Dad was pretty weird, must have been all that acid at Woodstock.

Comment

Self defense I should think is more geared to running away safely than "besting" your opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN DOE
                          oh yeah if you end up using sparring techniques in a fight its becouse your self defense technique went wrong or failed you.
                          I'd like to know what school you go to that has people spar without punching, kicking, throwing, choking or joint locking.
                          Originally posted by The Wastrel
                          I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

Quote: I'd like to know what school you go to that has people spar without punching, kicking, throwing, choking or joint locking.

Right Here: http://www.trsdirect.com/product.php?sku=LW-77

Comment

Originally posted by JKing
                              yeah, I know all about straight blast gym. when I saw his stuff on aliveness i was like "dude... you're a genious!!!" because it validated my thoughts on the subject. Maybe I should have added this question to the top: "How would a person make self defense usable?" seeing as how you dont want to cripple your training partner

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X