manga bullshido

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

manga bullshido

I don't know if anyone here has read the manga "Blade of the immortal" but it has a great quote that totally belongs on Bullshido.
    "...We live in a peaceful age, yet the number of sword school continues to grow. But this has nothing to do with a flowering of the way of the sword. Far from it! Their schools exist only to pad their pockets. They teach the daimyo and their hanshi old, sterile kata with bamboo swords and collect their money. Praise and pay- That's all they're for!" -Kagehisa Anotsu

Too bad this guy is kinda the bad guy but even the hero of the story doesn't believe the traditional ways of fighting.

Ah..the japanese have a way of giving me such a big rubbery one.
    "did Phrost just call me a 'bitch'?"-Omega

"The collective IQ of bullshido was reduced with the departure of Wastrel. It further dropped due to the retention of (Serious Harm)."
    - The all knowing Dochter

"but like, it's possible to develop such a level of reflex that you can literally detect someones movements through sensitivity, and block without even thinking"-Apostol

That's the amazing thing about Ninjas, for sneeky cocksuckers, they are all over the place, like dog shit on your shoe.-Ronin69

Comment

They have pills for that, you know^
      ~Whatever Happens, Happens.~

~From this moment on, I shall be known as "He Who Smokes Bitches"~

Comment

Manji (the main character) also makes fun of kata in that book. Im sure people here will love that.

Anostu (the bad guy) is the grandson of a former samurai who was kicked out of his school for not following form, despite being a great fighter. That's why his family hates tradition so much.

Comment

Makie Ono-Tachibana kicks ass

:)

Comment

Originally posted by riceavenger
            Anostu (the bad guy) is the grandson of a former samurai who was kicked out of his school for not following form, despite being a great fighter. That's why his family hates tradition so much.
            Lol when I read that I thought at first it was merely an excuse. He killed more opponents than his bretheren, but was cast out for using two katana instead of the traditional one.

Then again, maybe they were just looking for an excuse to get rid of his psychotic butt. After all, his son went after the grandson of said master and cut his arms off iirc. :(

Comment

"...We live in a peaceful age, yet the number of sword school continues to grow. But this has nothing to do with a flowering of the way of the sword. Far from it! Their schools exist only to pad their pockets. They teach the daimyo and their hanshi old, sterile kata with bamboo swords and collect their money. Praise and pay- That's all they're for!"

I had read a book about the armed techniques of the japanese martial art,and the quote above prettu sums up the development of swordsmanship during Tokugawa Era.......In fact what i believe is that this virus is also predominant in Chinese Martial Art~~~
              "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
              - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Comment

Originally posted by riceavenger
                Manji (the main character) also makes fun of kata in that book. Im sure people here will love that.

I will sure love that book for it~~~
                Middle-finger kata!!!:p
                "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
                - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Comment

That Manga sounds pretty badass - I'll look for it. (BIG manga fan)
                  video game reviews

Comment

"Anostu (the bad guy) is the grandson of a former samurai who was kicked out of his school for not following form, despite being a great fighter. That's why his family hates tradition so much"

From what I remember the grandmaster was with two senior students when they were attacked. (Rin's father and Anotsu's father). Rin's father was unable to keep the attackers away, Anotsu's Father fought them off, he used a Japanese sword in one hand and a Chinese sword in the other. He was disgraced for using a foreign weapon.

Which was when the 'Fuck tradition' thing started. It's also the reason that Anotsu uses that big ass axe of his. Haven't read the series for a while, though.

Comment

I was just watching an early Jackie Chan flick on the Action Channel last night, titled, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (circa 1978), and one of the premises is that Jackie is a servant at a martial arts school where he's used as a human punching bag and not allowed to fight back. Says the mcdojo teacher to him, "You'd better not resist", as the crap teacher is trying to get the prefect (and richest man in town)'s son to join the school.

Very cool movie, though.

Comment

I got the first five volumes in the series for "Blade of the Immortal". It is bad-ass and I highly recommend it. The views on bullshido sword arts are pretty relevant to even today. Funny thing is the author doesn't do an MA.
                        Punches in bunches and kicks kicks kicks!

Comment

Originally posted by KungFuColin
                          That Manga sounds pretty badass - I'll look for it. (BIG manga fan)
                          Colin, PM me if you're into scanslations. I'm sure I've seen them somewhere. I'll have a dig around

I'm not sure if the series has been licensed though, so beware. If they have been... be prepared to be separated from many wads of cash if you're keen on the manga. ;)

Comment

Just ordered the latest volume over Amazon. Blade of the Immortal is licensed by Dark Horse comics. They do a great job with the translation as well as the re-arranging of panels to suit left to right reading.
                            Punches in bunches and kicks kicks kicks!

Comment

Zeddy: Sent a PM.
                              IronBuddha.. dude.. do I know you from GameFAQs? I used to post about two years ago on the MA forum there. My name was/is Djinn Kazama (yeah, I know.. a really bad name)
                              video game reviews

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X