Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I joined a judo school, would I get just as good of instruction as bjj for cheaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pandinha
    replied
    Re: Re: If I joined a judo school, would I get just as good of instruction as bjj for cheaper

Originally posted by Kungfoolss
    Depends on your goal I suppose. The rules for each system differs, especially when it comes to tournaments. Bjj doesn't work if you attempt to apply it to a judo bout. As for defense, it varies, again, knowing what you desire ultimately from such endeavors would aid in answering your own query.
    Okay, who hacked the site and stole Kungfoolls login and password?

Leave a comment:

• Kungfoolss
    replied
    Re: If I joined a judo school, would I get just as good of instruction as bjj for cheaper

Originally posted by FormLess
    Is Bjj really worth all the money that they charge for it or would it be better to join a good judo club?
    Depends on your goal I suppose. The rules for each system differs, especially when it comes to tournaments. Bjj doesn't work if you attempt to apply it to a judo bout. As for defense, it varies, again, knowing what you desire ultimately from such endeavors would aid in answering your own query.

Leave a comment:

• Meex
    replied
    Just look at you. . .you're a natural.
    Now, go kick somebody's butt!

`~\

Leave a comment:

• Pandinha
    replied
    Originally posted by Meex
    Both would serve you well in nhb. However, if you've already got some jj training, go with the judo. If you're fairly confident in your striking/stand up game and wanna fast-track? bjj.

Like any physical activity, your body adjusts to the training. judoka are realtively bigger, broader, and stronger overall due to the movements, throws, and the intensity and constant resistance during training.

Bjj? Their overall conditioning is more for agility, wiryness, and they go with the flow a lot, and conserve energy when possible, working toward a position where they have an advantage, leading to leaner physiques.

Raw power? edge to judo.
    Effectiveness is determined by training, and talent.

`~\
    I never seemed to fit in with the Class Picture at the Gracie Academy, but I seem too quite well at my Judo School.

Funny that.

Leave a comment:

• Matt W.
    replied
    Do they offer no-gi and Vale Tudo training at your BJJ school?

Leave a comment:

• FormLess
    replied
    I'm already taking bjj, I was just wondering if I should switch over to Judo. It seems like a lot of judo schools would incorporate alot of bjj techniques into thier reporatore. Besides, I would think it would be better to learn wrestling throws and takedowns along with bjj groundwork.

Leave a comment:

• Matt W.
    replied
    From what I've seen, though Judo is great, BJJ is better for flat out fighting. But if NHB is your goal, you gotta go BJJ. And I'll tell you three things you will get at a BJJ school, and two of them you most likely won't get at Judo...

1. Gi training
    2. No-Gi training
    3. Vale Tudo (MMA) training

Judo's cool and all, but to me, the choice is clear.

Matt

Leave a comment:

• SLJ
    replied
    Yes they are, they're strong and have a low center of gravity = Judo machines.

Leave a comment:

• Meex
    replied
    Originally posted by Hannibal
    I though the best Judoka where normally short, stocky people....
    Stocky is bigger to us Americans.
    (They don't necessarily start off stocky - just end up that way.)

btw - I trained with a former all-Japan national champion. . .his paws (oops), I mean hoof (uh, sorry), palms (yeah, that's it) were about 7" wide, and each finger was as big as my thumb. I have fairly large hands (can easily palm a basketball), but my hand was swallowed in his grip.
    he - 5'4" 225#
    me - 5'10" 220#

He was quite a bit larger than I, although short. Like wrasssling a bear.

`~\

Leave a comment:

• Hannibal
    replied
    I though the best Judoka where normally short, stocky people....

Leave a comment:

• Meex
    replied
    My goal is to maybe get good enough to fight in nhb competitions. Which one is better for that kind of thing?
    Both would serve you well in nhb. However, if you've already got some jj training, go with the judo. If you're fairly confident in your striking/stand up game and wanna fast-track? bjj.

Originally posted by FormLess I've also noticed that judo guys tend to be a lot bigger and stronger looking than BJJ guys. Why is this? It might just be a stereotype, but most Bjj guys I've seen are skinny and wirery, while judo guys are stocky and massive.
    Like any physical activity, your body adjusts to the training. judoka are realtively bigger, broader, and stronger overall due to the movements, throws, and the intensity and constant resistance during training.

Bjj? Their overall conditioning is more for agility, wiryness, and they go with the flow a lot, and conserve energy when possible, working toward a position where they have an advantage, leading to leaner physiques.

Raw power? edge to judo.
    Effectiveness is determined by training, and talent.

`~\

Leave a comment:

• Pandinha
    replied
    Willy is so correct, he's hovering above the ground by a foot!

The year I spent at the Gracie Academy - Times we did takedowns/throws: 5

The past 3 weeks at my Judo School - Times we did Newaza/Grappling: 12 <<< As many times I went.

I'm finding throwing to be the lost part of my training. It's great.

BJJ for the ground, Judo for standup. Both grappling.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• NHB_Ben
    replied
    My goal is to maybe get good enough to fight in nhb competitions. Which one is better for that kind of thing? I've also noticed that judo guys tend to be a lot bigger and stronger looking than BJJ guys. Why is this? It might just be a stereotype, but most Bjj guys I've seen are skinny and wirery, while judo guys are stocky and massive.
    Those particular builds lend well to their respective arts.

Leave a comment:

• willy
    replied
    will you get as good of ground work? nope. even if your school is one of the rare ones(like mine) that does even 50% groundwork, you still will learn ground work alot slower than a BJJ class.

will you get better throwing? hell yes.

in my experiance most BJJ schools neglect throws and takedowns more than judo neglects groundwork. i would take judo for a bit, you will learn much more about throws and the ground work will be more than enough against the untrained groundfighter. after a while if you decide you need more groundwork, you can join the bjj school later and since you will have a base to build off of you will not be spending expensive time learning the basics and will pick up concepts quicker. also i find judo stand up randori more physically challenging than groundwork randori, so it'll help you get better conditoning quicker.

Leave a comment:

• Acid The Great
    replied
    yep, but when you see two skinny judo guys go at it, it's very entertaining. Especially when they have a couple collors under their belt and know what they're doing.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X