Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I joined a judo school, would I get just as good of instruction as bjj for cheaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I joined a judo school, would I get just as good of instruction as bjj for cheaper

Is Bjj really worth all the money that they charge for it or would it be better to join a good judo club?

Uh, it depends on what you want to learn and how good each school is. Why don't you try both out and see which one you like more?

Comment

Mmm, it depends what you're looking for.

Depending on the school/club/group of friends you might end up getting lots of informal grappling practice. Alternately, some schools might be all stodgy and tournamenty and you wouldn't get as much.

Since you're asking wether to do judo or BJJ I assume what you want is grappling practice. So, I'd say that if there is an entity of some kind that provides you with a lot of grappling practice it could be worthwhile.

Just be aware of the rules-based limitations that you encounter in judo grappling. Some of the major ones are:
      1.) You can't stand up in the guard (it stops grappling according to judo rules)
      2.) You can't leg choke someone's head unless you get a limb in there along with their head.
      3.) You can't use any locks involving the legs as targets. So you can use your legs to arm bar, but you cannot do an achilles tendon lock.
      4.) You cannot touch the moon of someone's face.
      5.) You must wear a judo gi and there are a few rules restricting how you manipulate the gi. You cannot grab inside the gi, for example, so that you don't injure your fingers if the person rolls around subsequently.
      6.) A 25 second pin makes you win. Depending on how much your training entity emphasises getting a pin for only 25 seconds that might be surreal. I dunno. Some people don't bother with the 25 second rule for practice and just practice pinning and escaping for long periods of time.
      Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

Re: If I joined a judo school, would I get just as good of instruction as bjj for che

Originally posted by FormLess
        Is Bjj really worth all the money that they charge for it or would it be better to join a good judo club?
        I think BJJ is ridiculously over-priced, but price is relative. Some clubs charge $125 a month for 3x weekly private lessons. Some charge $85 a month for unlimited group lessons. Is one of these better than the other? I think most people here would say the private lessons are a better value, but both are worthwhile.

You will not learn the same things from a judo club that you will at a BJJ school. Not to say judo is better or worse than BJJ at the same quality level, just different.

I'd say start out with judo, and when you get a year or so under your belt, switch to or add BJJ to really take care of your ground game.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Comment

My goal is to maybe get good enough to fight in nhb competitions. Which one is better for that kind of thing? I've also noticed that judo guys tend to be a lot bigger and stronger looking than BJJ guys. Why is this? It might just be a stereotype, but most Bjj guys I've seen are skinny and wirery, while judo guys are stocky and massive.

Comment

yep, but when you see two skinny judo guys go at it, it's very entertaining. Especially when they have a couple collors under their belt and know what they're doing.

Comment

will you get as good of ground work? nope. even if your school is one of the rare ones(like mine) that does even 50% groundwork, you still will learn ground work alot slower than a BJJ class.

will you get better throwing? hell yes.

in my experiance most BJJ schools neglect throws and takedowns more than judo neglects groundwork. i would take judo for a bit, you will learn much more about throws and the ground work will be more than enough against the untrained groundfighter. after a while if you decide you need more groundwork, you can join the bjj school later and since you will have a base to build off of you will not be spending expensive time learning the basics and will pick up concepts quicker. also i find judo stand up randori more physically challenging than groundwork randori, so it'll help you get better conditoning quicker.

Comment

My goal is to maybe get good enough to fight in nhb competitions. Which one is better for that kind of thing? I've also noticed that judo guys tend to be a lot bigger and stronger looking than BJJ guys. Why is this? It might just be a stereotype, but most Bjj guys I've seen are skinny and wirery, while judo guys are stocky and massive.
                Those particular builds lend well to their respective arts.

Comment

Willy is so correct, he's hovering above the ground by a foot!

The year I spent at the Gracie Academy - Times we did takedowns/throws: 5

The past 3 weeks at my Judo School - Times we did Newaza/Grappling: 12 <<< As many times I went.

I'm finding throwing to be the lost part of my training. It's great.

BJJ for the ground, Judo for standup. Both grappling.

Good luck!
                  Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
                  "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

My goal is to maybe get good enough to fight in nhb competitions. Which one is better for that kind of thing?
                    Both would serve you well in nhb. However, if you've already got some jj training, go with the judo. If you're fairly confident in your striking/stand up game and wanna fast-track? bjj.

Originally posted by FormLess I've also noticed that judo guys tend to be a lot bigger and stronger looking than BJJ guys. Why is this? It might just be a stereotype, but most Bjj guys I've seen are skinny and wirery, while judo guys are stocky and massive.
                    Like any physical activity, your body adjusts to the training. judoka are realtively bigger, broader, and stronger overall due to the movements, throws, and the intensity and constant resistance during training.

Bjj? Their overall conditioning is more for agility, wiryness, and they go with the flow a lot, and conserve energy when possible, working toward a position where they have an advantage, leading to leaner physiques.

Raw power? edge to judo.
                    Effectiveness is determined by training, and talent.

`~\
                    sigpic

Comment

I though the best Judoka where normally short, stocky people....
                      Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal
                        I though the best Judoka where normally short, stocky people....
                        Stocky is bigger to us Americans.
                        (They don't necessarily start off stocky - just end up that way.)

btw - I trained with a former all-Japan national champion. . .his paws (oops), I mean hoof (uh, sorry), palms (yeah, that's it) were about 7" wide, and each finger was as big as my thumb. I have fairly large hands (can easily palm a basketball), but my hand was swallowed in his grip.
                        he - 5'4" 225#
                        me - 5'10" 220#

He was quite a bit larger than I, although short. Like wrasssling a bear.

`~\
                        sigpic

Comment

Yes they are, they're strong and have a low center of gravity = Judo machines.
                          "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
                          YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Comment

From what I've seen, though Judo is great, BJJ is better for flat out fighting. But if NHB is your goal, you gotta go BJJ. And I'll tell you three things you will get at a BJJ school, and two of them you most likely won't get at Judo...

1. Gi training
                            2. No-Gi training
                            3. Vale Tudo (MMA) training

Judo's cool and all, but to me, the choice is clear.

Matt

Comment

I'm already taking bjj, I was just wondering if I should switch over to Judo. It seems like a lot of judo schools would incorporate alot of bjj techniques into thier reporatore. Besides, I would think it would be better to learn wrestling throws and takedowns along with bjj groundwork.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X