Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJJ MMA gym in birmingham alabama claims on their website

http://birminghamalabamabjj.com/about/
    If you read this page it says the instructor has a black belt in Judo, Sambo and BJJ and is the only person in the world to do it. Plus he is the first american to defeat a brazilian at grappling.

It sounds like they copy and pasted from lloyd Irvin's website.

About the Instructor Spartan Fitness was built on the blood, sweat and tears of its Head Instructor Chris Conolley. He's helped train some of the biggest names in the sport of No Holds Barred Fighting prepare for events like the UFC, World Extreme Challenge, Combat Sports Challenge, Extreme Challenge just to name a few. We take a World Class approach to training in all of our disciplines and are always trying to improve.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's a Multiple time National Judo Champion, Multiple time National Sombo Champion, World Renowned Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Coach and a 2005 Brazilian Jiu Jitsu World Champion. He was the first Non-Brazilian to defeat a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt in Brazil which led him to having a full page article written about it in the World Famous Gracie Magazine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's the only person in the World to hold black belts in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Combat Sombo and Judo. He began boxing at the early age of eight and have done Thai Boxing for over 10 years.

What the heck is going on here? Did someone make a fake website to make this instructor look like a fraud? Maybe a webmaster wrote this copy and paste stuff and the Chris Connelly guy does not realize this. Or maybe he actually is trying to make claims that are false to lure ignorant people into his gym with no knowledge of whats going on in the martial arts world? Which is it?

Whats going on here?

http://www.lloydirvin.com/adult/bjj/

if you scroll down on this annoying website you will see Lloyd Irvin claiming the exact same things as this spartan fitness BJJ/MM website.

Comment

I'm not sure about those exact credentials. Here is his Fight record on Sherdog:

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Chris-Connelly-9336

I competed against some of the Spartan guys one time at a BJJ tournament and they were good. They had some really good guys there, and their school was huge!

Have you tried sending them an e-mail?
      Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

This looks like the real Spartain MMA site:

http://spartanfitnessmma.com/about/

The site you posted in the OP doesn't link back to this site. So, I think the alabamaBJJ site is actually BS.
        Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post

The site you posted in the OP doesn't link back to this site. So, I think the alabamaBJJ site is actually BS.
          That is what I was thinking. But then it is not confirmed if the site is BS or not, it looks almost exactly like the same webmaster made both websites the same way.

Possibly someone has beef with the SF instructor and made a fake website. But then again we dont know maybe he did make the website.

I trained at Spartan for 1 months and I do agree with you, the 2 purple belts are really good, and Chris is very good at kickboxing from what i saw. The training is very intense and will get you fit.

I dont know enough about the gym though cause I only trained 1 month and im also not originally from Alabama so I think someone else from Alabama nd knows the MMA scene should email him about it. I dont want to get involved, I just thought I would bring this up: either to protect an innocent MMA instructor, or to expose someone who is lying. Hopefully he isnt responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post

Actually it does link back to the mains partanfitnessmma.com site if you click "contact." But then it doesnt link back to the birminghambjj website. So yeah...

Also there are links on the "scheduel" portion of the website saying "Click spartanmma.com for more info"

also I found this: http://alabamahealthandfitness.com/about/ after clicking on strength and conditioning. It says the same BS stuff too.
            Last edited by Andrew WA; 7/11/2012 11:21am, . Reason: I had more info to ad

Comment

I live 45 minutes from there. I go to Birmingham every couple of weeks to train when I do my work business that way. I can drop in and check them out.

On a side note Spartan Fitness is a great school. As for the claims I am seeing on there, I've never heard those before now.

As a side note, here is a pretty good school in that area. One of his guys is a blue belt in my city and he's really very good.

http://alabamabjj.com/

Comment

Originally posted by drizzt777 View Post
                I live 45 minutes from there. I go to Birmingham every couple of weeks to train when I do my work business that way. I can drop in and check them out.

On a side note Spartan Fitness is a great school. As for the claims I am seeing on there, I've never heard those before now.

As a side note, here is a pretty good school in that area. One of his guys is a blue belt in my city and he's really very good.

http://alabamabjj.com/
                Cool man. I am also getting one of my friends who spent 6 months training there, but had to go to Auburn, to ask one of the guys who still trains there.

Chris Connelly is listed only as a purple belt by Matt Thorton: http://www.straightblastgym.com/bjjranks.htm

Now if someone is trying to defraud Chris Connelly's integirty then he needs to be found out, and I could see a lawsuit being filed for slander and defamation.

Spartan Fitness has talented guys, and will work you hard. It is for the MMA enthusiast and crossfit type people.

Right now I dont have any money but I was fortunate to come across a Gracie Garage in birmingham and im rolling with other guys and trying to go through the gracie curriculum.

Comment

I used to train at Samuel's in Birmingham and I've known/competed against guys from Spartan. It is possible that someone is trying to discredit Chris but also some of the Spartan guys have pretty wacky senses of humor and one of them might have done this as a goof, not realizing the problems it can create. Or maybe someone is just being a dick.

Spartan is definitely legit though. They're tough SOBs and train hard.

Comment

A whois lookup gave this result:
                    =-=-=-=

Domain name: BIRMINGHAMALABAMABJJ.COM

Registrant Contact:
                    Spartan Fitness
                    Anthony Carroll ()

Fax:
                    3417 Lorna Ln
                    birmingham, AL 35216
                    US

Comment

I am Chris Conolley. That is my site and there are several others but those aren't finished and I have no idea why people can see them. My web guy made me some websites and yes probably cut and paste some crap up there from other bjj sites and filled in some of the content with some stuff in an attempt at humor (if you read it it's pretty obviously tongue in cheek) as an outline showing me what it would look like. But those sites aren't finished they are still under construction and waiting for me to fill in the content.
                      I have no idea why people can see them, my web guy has since fallen off the grid and kind of shelved the project until we have time to go back and finish. I will absolutely do everything I can to remedy the situation a.s.a.p. , again no idea how or why anyone can see the sample sites but in no way am I going around claiming to have done any of this crap trying to make a buck. I greatly appreciate the work you guys do exposing frauds but this is not the case in my situation. I think if you ask around you will find our reputation at Spartan Fitness is solid. I regret that this happened and will resolve the issue but I assure you I would never make such claims or attempt to disrespect the martial arts that are my way of life and my livelihood. I greatly value the reputation our gym has earned so any help in resolving this from anyone who knows about such things would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies again but if you guys didn't throw this up I never would have known about it so I guess thanks. I appreciate that no one jumped to conclusions and ran with it seems like everyone was expecting for there to be a reasonable explanation and there it is.
                      I am many things but I try not to be a liar a cheat or a fake I despise those that would make a buck off of false credentials like that and I do not want to be placed in that group.

our new main site is spartanfitnessmma.com the other sites would eventually link to that one but they will not have the sample content but the real content I would never have approved them as they are now.

Respectfully,

Chris Conolley
                      Spartan Fitness
                      205-824-8361
                      Last edited by Chris Conolley; 7/13/2012 6:45am, .

Comment

Well, that's that then. And we have Connelly on board, win!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Conolley View Post
                          I am Chris Conolley. That is my site and there are several others but those aren't finished and I have no idea why people can see them. My web guy made me some websites and yes probably cut and paste some crap up there from other bjj sites and filled in some of the content with some stuff in an attempt at humor (if you read it it's pretty obviously tongue in cheek) as an outline showing me what it would look like. But those sites aren't finished they are still under construction and waiting for me to fill in the content.
                          I have no idea why people can see them, my web guy has since fallen off the grid and kind of shelved the project until we have time to go back and finish. I will absolutely do everything I can to remedy the situation a.s.a.p. , again no idea how or why anyone can see the sample sites but in no way am I going around claiming to have done any of this crap trying to make a buck. I greatly appreciate the work you guys do exposing frauds but this is not the case in my situation. I think if you ask around you will find our reputation at Spartan Fitness is solid. I regret that this happened and will resolve the issue but I assure you I would never make such claims or attempt to disrespect the martial arts that are my way of life and my livelihood. I greatly value the reputation our gym has earned so any help in resolving this from anyone who knows about such things would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies again but if you guys didn't throw this up I never would have known about it so I guess thanks. I appreciate that no one jumped to conclusions and ran with it seems like everyone was expecting for there to be a reasonable explanation and there it is.
                          I am many things but I try not to be a liar a cheat or a fake I despise those that would make a buck off of false credentials like that and I do not want to be placed in that group.

our new main site is spartanfitnessmma.com the other sites would eventually link to that one but they will not have the sample content but the real content I would never have approved them as they are now.

Respectfully,

Chris Conolley
                          Spartan Fitness
                          205-824-8361
                          Awesome! I KNEW there was a logical explanation for that! LOL about the tongue in cheek stuff, especially the "you will know what to do to get blue belt because everything you need to know is posted on the wall." Now THAT is tongue in cheek.

Yeah my time at SF was pretty good training. The fighters there are solid.

Comment

Thanks Chris for coming on here and clearing that up! I competed against some of your guys at a tournament a few years ago. You have some really good guys there!

Feel free to come back and have someone do a full review of your school in the review area. It gets a lot of internet traffic.
                            Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Comment

Awesome guys thanks a lot!!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X