X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual Self Defense

Check this out:

http://www.virtualselfdefense.com/

"Virtual" Self Defense looks like a good way to get yourself "Real" killed.

I deplore all forms of 'online', 'video'and 'teach yourself' selfdefence/martial arts programmes. They are a joke, designed only to make cash. That said however, the legal disclaimer on the site does point out that they don't make any guarantees. If they moved it to the front page I'd have a little more respect for them - only a little mind you!

Comment

I don't dislike video and online programes. Just like books they can be a decent supliment to someone's training, and learn some basics of other arts but I wouldn't try and learn a whole system, or say I know everything of a particular system, just from watching an set of hour long videos. I hate those become a certified black belt through video testing stuff. You need personalized training with someone to point out small things that can't be shown on video or books. I've got quite a few training videos and a few hundred books but they're only good for learning the basics.

Comment

I think books and the like are good for ideas. Then you need to find someone who knows what they are doing to show you how to do it correctly.
        And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

DCM is right

All those means are a supplement; you wouldn't dare eat only supplements with no main dish...
          Same here, practicing your M.A. with a good teacher is the main course, S.D. short seminars are a snug (you can't live on them). Videos and books are only a supplement.

Amir

Comment

Amir is absolutely 100% correct! But then Amir has a brain. There are brainless twonks out there who truly beleive that they can 'master' a self defence system purely from a book, video etc. Purveyors of this crap know that, which is why they exist and will continue to do so.

Comment

>There are brainless twonks out there who truly beleive that they can 'master' a self defence system purely from a book, video etc

Wait a minute..... You mean I WON'T learn the KAMEHAMEHA from watching DBZ!!!! You're CRAZY!!!

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
              ______
              Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
              -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
              The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
              -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Most books just have the basic stuff in them anyway. Its not like they are college level textbooks. They introduce you to very basic throws or kata and things. There are very few martial arts books around right now that are at all detailed. Videos are even more brief.

Like everyone said they are decent suppliments to add to your training but everyone needs training partners and teachers or at least good influences. Do it your selfers can be successful but that's rare. You have to be smart, creative and have partners. You have to do so much more work too.

Without a teacher you have to reinvent the martial arts from scratch and piece together puzzles from videos and books. You have to experiment and explore things and it takes a lot of cooperation from your partners. You have to find people just as serious and bright as you. Its hard to get people that willing to do the work.

A lot of my training was like that so that's how I know. It can build good work habits and a freestyle mindset but eventually you need to mix it up with some teachers and some well educated practitioners. Eventually, if you really care enough you will get hungry for that anyway ~ you will want to test yourself. Push yourself.

>> Perhaps it was because I had an inherent skill for the science and never deviated from natural principles. - Miyamoto Musashi 1643

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X