Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNBELIEVEABLE!!-- fat, russian, psychic-marital arts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John A Butz
    replied
    Furtry, I was not really directing that at you or systema, but rather at whoever wrote the phsyco-babble that was quoted from aikido journal and those who like to use such overly-flowery and complex language to try to explain stuff. It's the addition of mysticism into things that really burns my bacon. If the "it" in your system is getting the guy to fall down when he tries to hurt you, great, say that, train that, and be able to do that(note-I am not referencing a specific system, but rather using a generic example- could be aikido, systema, judo, whatever) and talk less about the mystical ways you get your man to fall down. If it works, it will speak for itself, and the babbling of a bunch of skeptics on a message board wont matter :) The mysticism and psycho-babble reads like a big rationalization/excuse to cover up inherent insecurity, or sounds like a bad marketing ploy.

Now, I have read James Williams and Ken Good on other message boards over the last few years, and they are no bullshit kinda guys. If they find value in the Systema, that gives it credibility to me. Heck, I want to see it and do it sometime, as many of the principles seem similar to aikido. But I still think that the videos, language, and general marketing should not be pointed to as a benchmark for effectiveness. Go train with folks, and they will know what you have got, and then there will be no questions.

Leave a comment:

• Furtry
    replied
    Originally posted by John A Butz
    Furtry, as a solid believer in aikido and many of the more esoteric concepts out there, I wish people would stop talking about it in high-falutin' fancy talk, and instead invite folks to come train with them and feel the stuff. No amount of talking about "it" can make someone understand it, they have to expirence. Additionly, all the time people spend talking about it is time they could be training it. I know what I would rather do.

Also, the aiki- based arts and their relatives, like systema, seem to think they have a monopoly on fluid, effective, almost mystical "power", which is patantly false. I have seen jujutsu guys who have more aiki- then my aikido. I have been wrecked by the amazingly relaxed power of an expirenced wrestler, my every attempt to fight him easily smothered and redirected to my eventual incapacitation. Whatever word you use to describe "it" or whatever you believe "it" to be, talk less, train more, and be humble.

end of rant.
    John Systema does not have a monopoly on fluid movement.
    At its highest level every physical movement is fluid.
    The "it" part is so miniscule that "it" is only done by one person that I'm aware of. The rest of it is physical real world down and dirty, we call it short work, application of fighting/conflict resolution ;).

I invite you all to check all the clips on my site. Except for one clip, which has been discussed here often, where it is explained to be a training drill all the clips show practical work. Notice my style differs from every other instructor out there due to our backgrounds and our individual strengths.

Leave a comment:

• RobP
    replied
    From http://www.hyperdictionary.com/searc...psychic+energy

PSYCHIC ENERGY: Dictionary Entry and Meaning
    Pronunciation: 'sIkik 'enurjee

WordNet Dictionary

Definition: [n] an actuating force or factor

Synonyms: mental energy

See Also: incitation, incitement, libidinal energy, motivation, motive, need, provocation

Leave a comment:

• Budd
    replied
    Furtry,

I heard some very good things regarding the Systema workshops that were done at the most recent Aiki Expo and very much look forward to getting to experience it someday.

Leave a comment:

• Furtry
    replied
    Originally posted by LLL
    Could someone explain the 'psychic energy' concept? Where does the 'energy' part come in?
    I can't explain energy. All I know is that when this was done to me it felt like he faked me out with his body language. I gave respect to his movements because if I didn't I ended up being hurt. In other words if I didn't move out of the way I would have gotten hit. I became so in tune to his intent, so aware of his movements that I reacted to stay safe.
    If I was not consciously aware of his movement then I would have been sucker punched.
    The energy thing is a misrepresentation/misinterpretation by TRS and the like to sell tapes. NOT by Vlad or Mikhail.
    Vlad states that psychic= consciousness.

Leave a comment:

• Furtry
    replied
    Originally posted by Budd
    Hi Furtry,

I'm not bagging on Systema as a, er, system. I also think the upcoming seminar at George Ledyard Sensei's school will likely be very good, as I've heard that his bullshit tolerance is pretty low -- I wish I could attend. I also do think that some of the Systema video clips that I've seen online look silly, but not as silly as some aikido videoclips that I've seen.

Which is why, as a guy that studies aikido, I've been exposed to more than my fair share of metaphysical, esoteric mumbo jumbo that I feel I can comment on. I've avoided directly commenting on Systema, because I haven't directly experienced it. But I've certainly experienced plenty of aiki-related mumbo jumbo and will certainly call Bullshido on that when I see it.
    Budd, I'm very much of the same opinion on the video clips. And the ONLY person I've seen do this kind of stuff, and felt/experienced personally, was Mikhail, and Vlad to an extent.

Leave a comment:

• John A Butz
    replied
    Furtry, as a solid believer in aikido and many of the more esoteric concepts out there, I wish people would stop talking about it in high-falutin' fancy talk, and instead invite folks to come train with them and feel the stuff. No amount of talking about "it" can make someone understand it, they have to expirence. Additionly, all the time people spend talking about it is time they could be training it. I know what I would rather do.

Also, the aiki- based arts and their relatives, like systema, seem to think they have a monopoly on fluid, effective, almost mystical "power", which is patantly false. I have seen jujutsu guys who have more aiki- then my aikido. I have been wrecked by the amazingly relaxed power of an expirenced wrestler, my every attempt to fight him easily smothered and redirected to my eventual incapacitation. Whatever word you use to describe "it" or whatever you believe "it" to be, talk less, train more, and be humble.

end of rant.

Leave a comment:

• LLL
    replied
    Could someone explain the 'psychic energy' concept? Where does the 'energy' part come in?

Leave a comment:

• Budd
    replied
    Hi Furtry,

I'm not bagging on Systema as a, er, system. I also think the upcoming seminar at George Ledyard Sensei's school will likely be very good, as I've heard that his bullshit tolerance is pretty low -- I wish I could attend. I also do think that some of the Systema video clips that I've seen online look silly, but not as silly as some aikido videoclips that I've seen.

Which is why, as a guy that studies aikido, I've been exposed to more than my fair share of metaphysical, esoteric mumbo jumbo that I feel I can comment on. I've avoided directly commenting on Systema, because I haven't directly experienced it. But I've certainly experienced plenty of aiki-related mumbo jumbo and will certainly call Bullshido on that when I see it.

Leave a comment:

• Furtry
    replied
    I guess this place only knows how to ridicule. It's simple, Haven't any of you ever been psyched out?
    A simple head fake to get you to commit in the wrong direction. Hit a guy with enough leg kicks and he will flinch every time you gesture like you are going to do one more.

You guys make fun of things you don't understand and discount and disregard the rest which is very valuable.
    One clip of a training exercise taken out of context negates hundreds of others? That to me is bullshido.
    Oh well...
    :rolleyes:

Leave a comment:

• John A Butz
    replied
    Blame Ueshiba, and his odd visions.

Leave a comment:

• Budd
    replied
    I think language gets corrupted and disrupted into flower-speak when there are too many aiki-bunnies in a given place, online or otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• LLL
    replied
    Heheh... Vectors bouncing all around, cosmic energy, swords cutting through chainmails; what's there not to love...

Leave a comment:

• GajusCaesar
    replied
    Wow. I haven't heard so much ass-talk in weeks! Where do people come up with this crap?

Leave a comment:

• kendamu
    replied
    I can't create fire?

So all those years of camping mean nothing?!?!

*cries*

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X