Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do so many people have this love affair with Wing Chun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeLikeWater
    replied
    jolly roger says

Sorry If I ask something stupid, but wasn't Jun Fan Bruce's name, so Jun Fan Gung Fu means "Jun Fan's Kung Fu" and Jeet Kune Do means "Way of the intercepting fist"?
    as far as I know jun fan was what he named his style when he first taught in America. It was basicaly the little wing chun he learned renamed b/c he didn't know enough of the system

later on as he moved away from wing chun he taught what we now call Original JKD. Jun Fan is the name of what he taught before that stage in his life and yes it is a "style" in the sense of being more than just his name. A name for the wing chun he taught...

Leave a comment:

• SLJ
    replied
    "Hmmmm, and what system did that guy steal that "pounding the guy when you are on top of him" move?"

He didn't "steal" it from anywhere, but it certainly wasn't WC. It's like Tiger Woods winning a 9-ball competition, and then turning round and insisting it was his golf that made him do it.

Leave a comment:

• stoogejitsu
    replied
    Sounds good.

Leave a comment:

• Darting Fingers
    replied
    "Does anyone on this board really think that wooden dummies, trapping, chain punching and the spirit of Bruce is better preparation for hand-to-hand than getting in an NHB cage (our gym has one) and going 4 minute rounds with a conditioned MMA fighter for a half hour? KC/Stoogejitsu does it on a regular basis and has the bruises and contusions to prove it. "

I hope not.
    I am a wing chun exponent but I do not believe it is the be all and end. Just like a pure MT exponent would need to work all the other areas of their game eg. grounwork wing chun needs the same thing. I believe the theory is sound but the rules need to be bent and all weapons that are available to you need to be utilised. The problem is that WC's are so proud of their art that alot neglect this fact, I have heard many a WC exponent say the same old shit of we don't need to go to the ground ect. and this is the prime example of their blindness to other training methods and their tunnel vision.
    I hope that anyone, regardless of their art, would be willing to (and I hate to be cliched) "empty their cup" and take on any method that would make them a better martial artist, full stop.

Leave a comment:

• DaveMustaine
    replied
    Originally posted by Vargas
    I'd put him up against any Wing Chunger on this board and bet my house on it. . .
    Why does it matter how good Stooge is? You said he's an exceptionally good grappler, so why would you expect someone who studies striking to beat him? I'm only speaking for myself, but I don't make huge claims about WC. I don't think it's the best, but I definately don't think people are justified to say "all WC sucks" or whatever. Making huge claims about WC doesn't make sense because there isn't really evidence to prove it. At the same time, there are some good WC practitioners out there, and although they maybe few and far between, WC CAN produce good fighters. I don't think the problem is the concepts or techniques in WC so much as the training.
    I think it's rediculous when people watch the video of the WT guy from the ufc and base all WC on that one fight. Anyone with as little groundfighting experience as that guy is going to get pounded, regardless of style.

Leave a comment:

• stoogejitsu
    replied
    Don't worry about it nasty_totoro, everybody goes through that when beginning grappling, I've had my ass handed to me numerous times and it has only made me better.

Leave a comment:

• nasty_totoro
    replied
    vargas submitted me in 10 seconds at the vancouver throwdown ... god ... please DON'T post that video :(

Leave a comment:

• stoogejitsu
    replied
    Thanks vargas, glad your back, on the forum and in town, hope to see you in class soon.

Leave a comment:

• KageReaper
    replied
    Originally posted by Kultra
    jun gan gung fu is jkd, just one is the english name and one is the asian name, same way u see wing chun, vsting shun, and all that stuff
    Dude, no it's not. Jun fan is a style bruce came up with...Jeet Kune Do is a philosophy..it is not a style. Jun Fan was bruce's name. Jun Fan was BRUCE"S jkd..his way of going about things. Straight blast gym doesn't do wing chun but they are still doing JKD..their own JKD. JKD is not set in stone...it is whatever works for you, basically. Again, get it right..read more.

Leave a comment:

• Vargas
    replied
    Damn, wish I'd seen this thread earlier.

Funny thing is, out of all the people posting on this website, I'm one of the two or three who actually know how good KC (Stoogejitsu) really is. Besides training constantly with all of the pro-MMA guys and trying to get a pro-fight himself (KC was on the card, but the other guy backed out at the last minute, happens more than you would think), KC fought a full-on challenge match with a guy who outweighed him by about 80 lbs and beat him like a red-headed stepchild. That's not even mentioning the three idiots at UNM who tried to pound him (and lost badly). So, if anyone on this website can talk shit about styles and stylists who won't put up or shut up, it's KC.

And I know why KC is frustrated. When you train full-contact vale tudo in one of the best schools in the U.S., it's hard to keep your mouth shut when you see people making grandiose claims that, sadly, haven't been proven in a verifiable way. Does anyone on this board really think that wooden dummies, trapping, chain punching and the spirit of Bruce is better preparation for hand-to-hand than getting in an NHB cage (our gym has one) and going 4 minute rounds with a conditioned MMA fighter for a half hour? KC/Stoogejitsu does it on a regular basis and has the bruises and contusions to prove it.

Now, if you guys think I'm a poor judge of skill, so be it. Think about this, though. I rolled with KC for almost 45 minutes last week. I couldn't get a single submission on him, and I was going as hard as I could. Now PM JKDChick, Anthony, shironinja or any of the other folks that were at the Vancouver McThrowdown and ask them if I was any good at ground-fighting. Yeah, my stand-up may not be great, but I know a thing or two about the ground and KC has some serious ground skills. I'd put him up against any Wing Chunger on this board and bet my house on it. . .

Leave a comment:

• Djimbe
    replied
    Originally posted by PizDoff
    Hmmmm, and what system did that guy steal that "pounding the guy when you are on top of him" move?
    umm , any schoolyard fight , well , pretty much , umm , EVER ?

If thats where the guy is , and you aint done hitting him ...

Leave a comment:

• Choke
    replied
    MMA invented it of course! Buy a clue, fag!

Leave a comment:

• PizDoff
    replied
    Originally posted by SLJ
    I remember those pics of a WC man G&Ping another guy. That sure was great WC.

Hmmmm, and what system did that guy steal that "pounding the guy when you are on top of him" move?

Leave a comment:

• Jolly_Roger
    replied
    Originally posted by Kultra
    jun gan gung fu is jkd, just one is the english name and one is the asian name, same way u see wing chun, vsting shun, and all that stuff
    Sorry If I ask something stupid, but wasn't Jun Fan Bruce's name, so Jun Fan Gung Fu means "Jun Fan's Kung Fu" and Jeet Kune Do means "Way of the intercepting fist"?

Leave a comment:

• Jolly_Roger
    replied
    Hey, Djimbe, we haven't met, but aren't you that dude on the video?
    You know, the one with "We care a lot" from Faith no More as soundtrack?

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X