Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do so many people have this love affair with Wing Chun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love affair? Yes I love my art as i am sure you love what you do. When you bash an art your bashing that person, who they are, what they like, and what works for them. For me personally Not a big guy 160 lbs westling not going to be my strong point also not a limber person so high kicks not my thing. WT/C works for me that passive aggressive style.

on a side note i am in the firm belief that ANY thing is better than nothing. therefor i will not dis any art even TKD. hehe

Comment

Hey WCL, I think you may have been practicing your techniques on the wrong dummy... and if its wooden um... I'll leave that.

Comment

"Good to see people aren't making generalisations..."

Hehehee I kind like Wing Chun I just saw a nice chance for a WC == Computer geek comment which I know drives the physical WC fighters crazy. Which unfortunately drives them nuts because they've seen the theory kwoons I'm talking about. :( We have tough ass WC guys in our gym they do all the same kind of real physical training you mentioned and they spar hard they have my respect. Theoretical WC stylist / computer nerd boys who wear glasses during "sparring" do not.

Comment

ill add my two cents worth and say most wing chun guys i know are not very physical guys either, as in there either 50+ or computer wizz's that used to get there heads flushed in toilets at school, on the other hand my freind who is a boxer does wing chun but he never seems to use it when we spar, he says it doesnt work when ring fighting but is better for the street, the way i see it is if you loose in the ring you will loose in the street. so i have to say im concur with white shark on this,

Comment

Fuck, I wear glasses, there my credibility goes out the window again.

Comment

Darting fingers so you live in australia which dojo do you train at, if its near by i might swing past, from the way you described it it sounds worth while.

Comment

Ahhhh, I just read it more thouroughly, I do not wear glasses whilst sparring, actually I only wear them at work and when watching tv.
                How the fuck could you??? They'd be broken in 2 1/2 seconds.
                And yes thats why I arq up every time someone brings up WC and how its this or that because we train physically, we go to the ground. We've had guys in kickboxing tournaments who have blitzed the opposition from MT/kickboxing schools around Sydney and the like.
                I still have an unaswered question that I've asked a number of time and am probably going to make a thread out of it, in a fight "What does WC look like?" If anyone can answer this please...

Comment

www.combatcentres.com

Comment

so your at the one in sydney, i go up their quite often, where in sydney is it exactly, the only thing that put me off is the statment that its the most devistatingly effective martial art in the world, and we all know that that is che quan do. do you have to join before you can try a class

Comment

Yeah I know that devastating stuff is a bit of kind of enticement I suppose to noobs, but I assure you that's as far as that kind of talk goes. It's just up the road from central station in on elizabeth street. You can get a couple of free lessons, but I don't know what your experience is but you'll just be doing real basic stuff, so it could be a little boring. Also your best off going in the day to get a class with sifu, 12.30 classes.

World Headquarters
                      2nd Floor
                      431 Elizabeth Street
                      Surry Hills
                      NSW 2010
                      Ph: (02) 9211 4374

Comment

cool its near the gym i usually go to, boxingworks have you ever been there, really worth a look next time i am in sydney i will drop by if i can,

Comment

No I haven't, will look into it. Otherwise if you drop past let me know what you thought.

Comment

yeah really its worth it , its on castlereigh street, so not to far from your gym, next time i up there i will drop by yours, thanks a heap.

Comment

Originally posted by MaverickZ
                              are you saying the entire art of wing chun consists of eye gouges and groin kicks? and that there is nothing else that could work against a resisting opponent in it?
                              obviously not, but to me Wing Chun is a "drop them as quick as possible" system, not some hit, block, hit etc. that you do for 10 minutes till someone is knocked out or just beaten

but then I'm still really new to it and nothing is goin to change your mind anyway
                              Last edited by Kultra; 3/15/2004 10:40pm, .

Comment

Had a look at the website looks good if I get a chance, am short on time I've got a fifteen minute window to get from work to training tonight, in the near future will check it out.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X