Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do so many people have this love affair with Wing Chun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kultra
    replied
    Do you mind if I ask how he died?

Kinda came outta nowhere and all so now I'm curious

Leave a comment:

• rkonb
    replied
    I practiced Wing Chun for about 6 months, until my Sifu died. Then I went back to Tang Soo Do. During my time with my Sifu, I did alot of research on Wing Chun, it's history and theories.

No matter what Martial Art you practice, I think the centerline theory, the footwork and some of the theories about deflection can be useful. I know my impression of WC changed after having studied it for that short time. I realized that it wasn't an art that could be effectively used unless you'd been practicing it for a good year or two. I also came to understand that it is much better as a secondary art because of it's strong points in the areas I stated above.

I would love to find someone to show me the basics of some of the more advanced techniques like 'chi-gerk' (leg vs leg trapping/breaking) and Elbow control, but finding practitioners of this art who are willing to train non practitioners is difficult at best.

Also, way back in the beginning of this thread there was a comment about the 'origin' of WC. There is a web site called Ving Tsun Museum that has an excellent 'History' of Wing Chun based on various texts and historical references that I think could clear this up for many people. *chuckle* It's much less sensationalized and mundane than I think many people would like to believe.

Rkonb

Leave a comment:

• Hannibal
    replied
    So Darting Fingers thats where you train then? Elizabeth st in Sury Hills I know it very well indead.

Yes Bigfatbrute the boxing works gym on castlereagh st is good. In fact I used to work just a 5 second walk down the road from there.Although it has great grappling. BJJ,wrestling galore. The boxing/kickboxing side isn't that good though as they all wprk out dance music and call it cardio kickboxing, uuggghhhh.And it can be a bit expensive too.

Leave a comment:

• SLJ
    replied
    "unconsiously follows through with one of a number of techniques that would leave the other leg broken.."

Like ?

Leave a comment:

• zeocen
    replied
    Originally posted by MaverickZ
    are you saying the entire art of wing chun consists of eye gouges and groin kicks? and that there is nothing else that could work against a resisting opponent in it?
    Of course not, but they're there. One of my buddies who trains under the same sifu as me does sessions with a k1 fighter for a bit of variation and everytime the k1 dude kicks he checks and sometimes unconsiously follows through with one of a number of techniques that would leave the other leg broken.. It's just what he's used to.

I haven't trained as long as him but I'd imagine after doing it for a while some of it would become second nature and it'd be very hard to "dumb down" or stop yourself for doing certain techniques you've been using for so long. Especially if you were losing(probably more applicable to th3 str33t).

btw, kiwi food kicks all ass ;D

Leave a comment:

• Rashomon
    replied
    "Italian food kicks chinese food's ASS!

Although, Chinese food may have an advantage in TH3 STR33T!

Give me any Chinese dish and there's an Italian dish that owns it!"

Mexican food to 2 deadly 4 teh str33t.

Leave a comment:

• stoogejitsu
    replied
    Wow, I can't believe this thread has gotten so many responses, cool.

Leave a comment:

• liuzg150181
    replied
    Originally posted by Will
    [B]PLs, nigga, wasabi is just green horse radish, i put horse raddish on my steak all the time...

ketchup sashimi... don't EVER go there
    huh?what does nigga means?
    More recipe:
    Chinese fermented beancurd milkshake
    fois gras curry
    tom yam pizza

Leave a comment:

• Kultra
    replied
    Originally posted by Darting Fingers
    Can you elaborate on padwork?
    One guy holds the pad while the other practices punches and whatnot on it to help learn the footwork and get more power in the hits

some practice on the wooden dummy but thats usually on odd numbered student days and if they actually know what to do on it unlike me haha

Leave a comment:

• Darting Fingers
    replied
    Can you elaborate on padwork?

Leave a comment:

• Kultra
    replied
    Originally posted by Darting Fingers
    Kultra what does your typical class consist of?
    its a small class and some are more advanced than others

its 4 days a week for 2 hours, monday is padwork, wednesday and thursday is pairing newbies up with the better students to help them learn whatever move from the first form better then it switches up between just newcomers while the oldcomers go off to learn more of whatever form they're on

sometimes if Al feels like it he will bring padwork into wednesday or thursday too, and saturday is just advanced students but a newbie can come too if they want, i havent yet though so I don't know what a newbie would do there

Yes we do spar there, usually on the same day as padwork or on thursday and almost always saturdays from what my pal told me

Leave a comment:

• Darting Fingers
    replied
    Kultra what does your typical class consist of?

Leave a comment:

• Darting Fingers
    replied
    Had a look at the website looks good if I get a chance, am short on time I've got a fifteen minute window to get from work to training tonight, in the near future will check it out.

Leave a comment:

• Kultra
    replied
    Originally posted by MaverickZ
    are you saying the entire art of wing chun consists of eye gouges and groin kicks? and that there is nothing else that could work against a resisting opponent in it?
    obviously not, but to me Wing Chun is a "drop them as quick as possible" system, not some hit, block, hit etc. that you do for 10 minutes till someone is knocked out or just beaten

but then I'm still really new to it and nothing is goin to change your mind anyway
    Last edited by Kultra; 3/15/2004 10:40pm, .

Leave a comment:

• bigfatbrute
    replied
    yeah really its worth it , its on castlereigh street, so not to far from your gym, next time i up there i will drop by yours, thanks a heap.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X