Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do so many people have this love affair with Wing Chun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stoogejitsu
    replied
    No my opinion comes from beating up on wing chun guys from many different schools, I've been to many with friends etc, been challenged by many, and have always been able to handle them without really even hurting them, maybe only there egos a little bit. I know it certainly doesn't make me an expert in the field, by no means have I ever underestimated an opponent, in most cases I overestimate all of my opponents and before competition millions of horrible things and slip ups I can do go through my mind, the what ifs. Yet with every wc I have ever faced most have been no better than most tkd stylists I have met, though there are always the tough guys I mentioned earlier, but for the people who are not the "natural" tough guys, and who truly want to learn how to "fight," in my opinion wc is not the answer. My statement about positioning and striking ability was actually ment to contrast strategies, techniques, and basically training. It's what makes one the better fighter to gain the better position, and from the documented evidence, I'm not talking about myths and legends, hearsay and conjecture, in actual documented fights wc has not been up to the task statistically, just plain logic tells you that these guys must be doing something wrong. I've been training for many years, and have seen alot of different styles and fighters, I'm not some punk kid who has taken a bjj class and bought a t-shirt, or seen a single pride or ufc and think I know everything about fighting, I don't, I'm just a fighter, who does have much more experience than many, I've put it on the line, maybe you have too,so all I have to say is that when I look at the facts wing chun seems to be a little lite on the victory side, and real heavy on the theoretical side.

Leave a comment:

• Djimbe
    replied
    Originally posted by stoogejitsu
    Thanks everybody I appreciate the responses, yet still I have my opinion that too much of what wc teaches is still based on theory, as opposed to actually getting out there and doing it.
    Have you "Gotten out there and done it" with a WC/WT school thats not a McDojo ? (in other words hits the Bag(s) , does Sparring , etc.)

If not then your opinion is not an Opinion , ITS a theory .

I respect pad work and sparring, but I bet most of that resembles boxing/kickboxing.
    What , you mean like in the fact that ppl get Punched and Kicked and thrown down during it . Yeah , it probably does . Or does Kickboxing resemble it ? Someone put up vids of WC newbies Sparring the other day , and it looked JUST LIKE any other WC newbie sparring that I had ever seen , but just because the kids used a LOT of Clinchwork everyone said "Its Muay Thai !!" Because NO ONE BUT THE THAI COULD EVER EVER EVER THROW AN ELBOW OR A KNEE !!! HAH ! I said 1/2 a year ago that WC used as many Knees/Elbows as Muay Thai , and got laughed at because ppl decide what they want to before seeing anything for themselves .

Reminder :
    http://www.meihua.ee/video/wt_udar.wmv
    http://www.meihua.ee/video/clip01.wmv

Now, I can see the differences , even in newbies , of how theyre attacking the situation , and what weapons they are using . But seriously , if you have ever read even ONE THING about WC/WT you would know that its an Infighting system . Is that even POSSIBLE without a decent Knee/Elbow game ?

It seems to ME that you had a certain silly Idea in your head , that somehow "Kong FEEEWWW" looked different than it actually does , and now youre getting UPSET at it for not living up to your silly expectations ! People that DO wing Chun have been saying "It Aint Pretty" for as long as Ive seen MA discourse on the internet . Do you believe them yet ? IT seems like if a WC/WT practitioner does ANYTHING but Chainpunch and stand PERFECTLY STILL that they "Arent Doing WC" . Theres more in the system than that . Sorry to Break it to you .

As for your ideas about the leg breaking techniques, arm breaking techniques etc., "could" work, they most likely won't on a resisting opponent with any common sense, even in the street as you people somehow think will "completely" change the dynamics of a fight,
    If being in a competitive environ DOSENT change everything about a fight for you then youre a Psychopath that shouldnt be allowed to compete . ITs not like you look at Muay Thai matches , and theyre really in there trying to Cripple each other . They arent in there aiming at the Throat , or clavicles , or trying to split the Kneecap , or crush the Ankles of their Opponents . The same as in Sport JJ/Judo matches you dont see people going for the immediate jointbreak or holding a choke until the opponent is dead . In the stead there is a search for Control of a kind that you usu dont even need to break an elbow (or whatever) joint , it takes a different mindset/Setup to work for a submission .

If you nad never seen a Kimura work on someone that was resisting and just had it explained to you then you would probably say the same thing about it .

yes weapons can come into play, and yes "dirty" tricks are allowed, but if I have better position on you, or far superior striking ability I can pull off the dirty tricks with much greater effectiveness than the wc guy who I'm mounted on top of turning his face into pudding. I'm not saying there are not good wc fighters, it's just all of them I've seen seem to train more like boxers/kickboxers than like wc guys.
    IF you have better Position , and IF you have better striking ability . Wich you probably wont , given your penchant for underestimation of an opponent . Your above statement basically says "If Im in every way better than my opponent I will beat him ." Well , yes , this is usually the case .

Leave a comment:

• stoogejitsu
    replied
    Yup, unless I can somehow get super powers from gamma rays, which actually would most likely kill me or at the least give me lymphoma, I don't want to face anybody with a weapon, unless maybe I had a better weapon, i.e. pool cue vs. alligator, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Hannibal
    replied
    Mmm scary isen't it.

Leave a comment:

• stoogejitsu
    replied
    Sorry Jolly Roger when I was writing that I actually jumped thoughts, that is exactly what I had meant to say, if somebody has a weapon and I can't get away mine, or anybodys chances of not getting at least a little hurt are almost none, pretty much just try not to die.

Leave a comment:

• Jolly_Roger
    replied
    Originally posted by stoogejitsu
    even in the street as you people somehow think will "completely" change the dynamics of a fight, yes weapons can come into play, and yes "dirty" tricks are allowed, but if I have better position on you, or far superior striking ability I can pull off the dirty tricks with much greater effectiveness than the wc guy who I'm mounted on top of turning his face into pudding.
    With all due respect, Stoogejitsu, if weapons are involved, then anyone's chances of surviving that fight are almost nill, no matter what style they train. That is, of course, if the person employing the weapons ain't you :D

Leave a comment:

• stoogejitsu
    replied
    Thanks everybody I appreciate the responses, yet still I have my opinion that too much of what wc teaches is still based on theory, as opposed to actually getting out there and doing it. I respect pad work and sparring, but I bet most of that resembles boxing/kickboxing. As for your ideas about the leg breaking techniques, arm breaking techniques etc., "could" work, they most likely won't on a resisting opponent with any common sense, even in the street as you people somehow think will "completely" change the dynamics of a fight, yes weapons can come into play, and yes "dirty" tricks are allowed, but if I have better position on you, or far superior striking ability I can pull off the dirty tricks with much greater effectiveness than the wc guy who I'm mounted on top of turning his face into pudding. I'm not saying there are not good wc fighters, it's just all of them I've seen seem to train more like boxers/kickboxers than like wc guys.

Leave a comment:

• Darting Fingers
    replied
    Excuses, excuses...

Leave a comment:

• KageReaper
    replied
    Originally posted by Darting Fingers
    Walk into my school and say that...
    show me a cute girl and I will:)

Leave a comment:

• KageReaper
    replied
    GOOD PUSSIES..as in good PUSSY..geez, u ppl are so sensitive and couldn't see the joke even if it's not all that good lol. OH, and Kultra..Jun Fan Gung FU has a wing chun base..JKD is a philosophy, not a style and is based on getting what works for you..not a set style(wing chun)..get it right

Leave a comment:

• Darting Fingers
    replied
    Originally posted by KageReaper
    The Wing Chun love affair..obvious..It produces good pussies
    :D
    Walk into my school and say that...

Leave a comment:

• Kultra
    replied
    Originally posted by KageReaper
    jeet kune do is based on wing chun man

Leave a comment:

• Will
    replied
    no no stp dude!

Leave a comment:

• KageReaper
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MaverickZ
    replied
    Originally posted by zeocen
    Of course not, but they're there. One of my buddies who trains under the same sifu as me does sessions with a k1 fighter for a bit of variation and everytime the k1 dude kicks he checks and sometimes unconsiously follows through with one of a number of techniques that would leave the other leg broken.. It's just what he's used to.

I haven't trained as long as him but I'd imagine after doing it for a while some of it would become second nature and it'd be very hard to "dumb down" or stop yourself for doing certain techniques you've been using for so long. Especially if you were losing(probably more applicable to th3 str33t).

btw, kiwi food kicks all ass ;D
    fyi, as time goes on you gain more control rather than lose control of your techniques, no matter how "natural" of a motion they become.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X