Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do so many people have this love affair with Wing Chun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stoogejitsu
    Oh thank god, I am so greatfull to bruce for that, wait wasn't wc invented by a woman in china a few hundred years ago? Didn't bruce just study it?
    I think his influence pushed it far beyond the fame it deserves.

There are some things I like about WC and some things I don't seem to understand.

Comment

Jesse Glover in his book Bruce Lee:Between Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do says that Bruce reverted to his wing chun techniques in live situations, I'm not bashing JKD just a comment.

Comment

and just out of intrest does anyone here actually study "classical" wing chun?

Comment

I'll say blankslate that Bruce is probably purely the reason I got into WC, but I'm so glad I train where I do because my sifu is as open minded as Bruce was and is constantly testing and retesting everything that is taught and part of our system.

Comment

I've never trained formally in Wing Chun but I feel that everytime I kick under someone's kick in fighting I am using Wing Chun that I have seen or read about. I studied the one inch punch as well (from a book and articles) and I imagine sometimes I am doing it when I throw boxing punches and am trying to get my body behind it. I don't like what I've seen as far as footwork but I feel that I've been somewhat influenced by WC. Personally, I wanted to know what Bruce learned from it...that was my main motivation. I have no idea what I am trying to say with this post.

Comment

Start with thinking mate, then move the fingers across the keyboard... just kidding!

Comment

hehe

Vertical Fist! Kiai!

Comment

for more info. on wing chun www.vtmuseum.org

Comment

Wing chun, silat, Ju jitsu are all beatiful and graceful arts and there is much to be learned from them. Practical fighting skills is generally not what I think of when looking at these arts but the study of them will yield a better understanding of the human body and its mechanics and will help ones practical fighting skills.

Comment

" beatiful and graceful" I wouldn't classify WC with these words.

Comment

stubby ugly and bad tempred :)

Comment

I've been lurking here for a while now, and I just never bothered to register untill today (yeah, WHATEVER!)

I don't know why people love wingchun, I don't know why people bash wingchun.. but I'll tell you from what I've seen here there's been aLOT more bashing than loving of the system going on here.

I study WC here in New Zealand. And I agree there is _alot_ of bullshit WC out there, I'd go as far to say that it's the majority. And I think that's becuase they seem to think chisau is the be-all end-all to WC. And this is what's seen in the media and on the internet. Students of WC are so confident because in 'theory' wingchun is pretty good.. so the people who study it are confident in the 'theory' of it that they go out and fight well before they'd be capable of fighting what they're up against. And they get smacked down, bad. And that's mostly all anyone ever see's around here. And that sucks.

In the WC i'm taught it's pretty classical with a few modifications here and there (and a tad ground fighting.. but nowhere near enough to be proficient at it), but the thing that *I* think sets us apart is that we actually spar, we move from our guard onto no holds barred sparring. Now that's not compulsary, but it's encouraged, and alot of people do it. Of all the WC places i've seen around the place, only about .000000000000001% actually spar.

Sorry for going a bit off topic. But I do the system so of course sooner or later I'm going to put my moneys worth in and defend it. But I just hope you guys know that although there's alot of shit out there, there are some places who do alot more than what you see.

And I'm gonna get ripped for this, but there's alot of people who proclaim their love for BJJ here too! :P ...I don't blame you, if I had the chance I'd take it up too.

Thank you, now you may rip on the new kid!

Comment

Originally posted by nasty_totoro
                            because bruce took it ...
                            But he also said it was crap.
                            And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

Re: Why do so many people have this love affair with Wing Chun?

Originally posted by stoogejitsu
                              Why is it so many people on this forum seem to get a hard on for Wing Chun? I mean it doesn't make sense, "pure" wc fighters get owned in competition with kickboxers, grapplers, etc., yet people still believe that there evading the center line, and trapping drills will make them the ultimate fighting force. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Has the whole world gone mad???!!!!!!!!!!
                              In competitions you can't aim for any of the spots most WC people would go for in a real fight
                              and in the end a competition is just that, a competition, you can't see the full effectiveness of a style when you're in a setting that says "you can't hit here, here and here"

besides kickboxers, grapplers etc. get owned by other styles, does that suddenly make them bad?

Comment

STFU----- oh oh oh my WC is too deadly for the ring

grapplers get owned by better fighters
                                kickboxers get wned by better fighters

You are the only person to have been owned by WC

stfu and go spar

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X