Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Wing Chun or Not to Wing Chun is the question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    Originally posted by Osiris
    No one said it should. Only point is that if fighting skill is your primary objective, one should go with a proven style. Its like any other service. Super Home Services may be good at repair, or it may not be. But if Spectacular Home Repair has a good repair record thats been shown, Im gonna get them to fix my house.
    So if I watch somebody else fight with a style and it works for them I should take that style?

    but if I use my art and it's effective and works for me but hasn't been used in the PRIDE, UFC I must be disillusioned it really didn't work I only thought it worked?

    Comment


      #77
      Originally posted by CaptShady
      Oh, so sparring is exactly like a street fight? He said it's the PROVING GROUNDS FOR FIGHTING, period.
      Suggest a better pvoving grounds. If you come up with one, you will surely revolutionize martial arts as we know them. I'm all ears.
      You say what about my rice?

      Comment


        #78
        Originally posted by HAPKO3
        Bullshit.

        A style makes a fighter. It's not the only factor involved, but it's a major one, and denying this is beyond silly.
        Nice argument. "Bullshit" That is clever.

        Also, notice how I used quote marks when qouting you.

        Comment


          #79
          Originally posted by Osiris
          No one said WC was crap. Just that if you want to learn to fight, you should go with the style that produces more proven fighters.
          So I should go by popular opinion and not see what works best for me. Even though I have used my WC effectively.

          Comment


            #80
            Originally posted by fist of fury
            So if I watch somebody else fight with a style and it works for them I should take that style?

            but if I use my art and it's effective and works for me but hasn't been used in the PRIDE, UFC I must be disillusioned it really didn't work I only thought it worked?
            The problem is that fighting is pretty counter-intuitive. You can letarly train and spar for years, and have no idea about what a real fight against an aggressive and skilled opponent looks like in a no-rules scenraio. I know all about that. Walk into 99% of all martial arts schools, and you will see poeple doing silly bullshit thinking they're learning how to fight.

            Some of those people will be smart, and they will live in the same silly dream world as the rest of em.

            In order to know what it's like fighting vale tudo, you have to do it. The next best thing is simulate it in sparring.
            You say what about my rice?

            Comment


              #81
              Originally posted by HAPKO3

              I get my ass handed to me on a regular basis by people who are better than I am. That's how I learn.
              But when that happened in Kenpo, it meant that the whole of kenpo is bullshit. :rolleyes:

              Comment


                #82
                Originally posted by CaptShady
                But when that happened in Kenpo, it meant that the whole of kenpo is bullshit. :rolleyes:
                What?

                Dude, what's your problem? What does this have anything to do with the discussion. You have something to prove? Where are you located?
                You say what about my rice?

                Comment


                  #83
                  Originally posted by HAPKO3
                  Suggest a better pvoving grounds. If you come up with one, you will surely revolutionize martial arts as we know them. I'm all ears.
                  This was in regards to your UFC/Pride statement, not foreign Vale Tudo. A better proving grounds? Sure ... decrease the size of the cage. Throw rocks and glass and shit on the floor. If you're on the ground for more than 5 minutes stuck in one hold, have like 5 guys come in and start kicking the shit out of you. Give one opponent PCP. Or Give one a glass bottle, or a baseball bat, or a stun gun.

                  Comment


                    #84
                    Originally posted by virtual_mantis
                    Nice argument. "Bullshit" That is clever.

                    Also, notice how I used quote marks when qouting you.
                    There's nothing to argue here.

                    The fact that style is relevant to fighting is obvious. Do you dispute that?
                    You say what about my rice?

                    Comment


                      #85
                      Originally posted by HAPKO3
                      The problem is that fighting is pretty counter-intuitive. You can letarly train and spar for years, and have no idea about what a real fight against an aggressive and skilled opponent looks like in a no-rules scenraio. I know all about that. Walk into 99% of all martial arts schools, and you will see poeple doing silly bullshit thinking they're learning how to fight.

                      Some of those people will be smart, and they will live in the same silly dream world as the rest of em.

                      In order to know what it's like fighting vale tudo, you have to do it. The next best thing is simulate it in sparring.
                      Correct you can only do so much in an MA school for fear of lawsuits. It's up to the individual to go out and take thier training to the next level. But not everybody is built to take the punishment of that level of training. But if they train at a TMA school and manage to learn something they can pull off that may save thier lives that's what it's about. Soon one day all of us will be alot older and you'll find out your body can't take the level of punishment you did when you were younger. And that you're not as strong and as fast as you used to be.
                      Many of these ring arts won't work as well for you then.

                      Comment


                        #86
                        Originally posted by CaptShady
                        This was in regards to your UFC/Pride statement, not foreign Vale Tudo. A better proving grounds? Sure ... decrease the size of the cage. Throw rocks and glass and shit on the floor. If you're on the ground for more than 5 minutes stuck in one hold, have like 5 guys come in and start kicking the shit out of you. Give one opponent PCP. Or Give one a glass bottle, or a baseball bat, or a stun gun.
                        Ok. That will lead to too many injuries, and too much randomness. As a result, these matches will prove nothing, and the pool of competitors will disappear quickly.

                        Try again.
                        You say what about my rice?

                        Comment


                          #87
                          Originally posted by HAPKO3
                          There's nothing to argue here.

                          The fact that style is relevant to fighting is obvious. Do you dispute that?
                          I would argue that quality and intensity of training is more important than style.

                          Comment


                            #88
                            Originally posted by fist of fury
                            Correct you can only do so much in an MA school for fear of lawsuits. It's up to the individual to go out and take thier training to the next level. But not everybody is built to take the punishment of that level of training. But if they train at a TMA school and manage to learn something they can pull off that may save thier lives that's what it's about. Soon one day all of us will be alot older and you'll find out your body can't take the level of punishment you did when you were younger. And that you're not as strong and as fast as you used to be.
                            Many of these ring arts won't work as well for you then.
                            Sure.

                            But I've prequalified my original post, in case you haven't noticed.

                            If you want to be a better fighter now, you should train one way.

                            If you want to maximize your fighting skill when you're old, that's a whole other story.
                            You say what about my rice?

                            Comment


                              #89
                              Originally posted by Osiris
                              "This was in regards to your UFC/Pride statement, not foreign Vale Tudo. A better proving grounds? Sure ... decrease the size of the cage. Throw rocks and glass and shit on the floor. If you're on the ground for more than 5 minutes stuck in one hold, have like 5 guys come in and start kicking the shit out of you. Give one opponent PCP. Or Give one a glass bottle, or a baseball bat, or a stun gun."

                              Shut the fuck up. Thats bullshit. Theres no need to spout more nonsense about t3h str33t!!!11.

                              Suck my dick, fuck wad. Glass, rocks, dirt, stickers, etc aren't found on asphalt huh? Each and every fight has the same dimensions as your beloved holy cage, huh? "Curbing" isn't a common practice? Drug induced rage doesn't happen? Muggings by weapon doesn't exist? keep dreaming, shitball.

                              YOU STFU, There's no need to spout more nonsense about t3h r1ng.

                              Where do live, cause shit, it sounds like there's no violent crime there, I'm moving!

                              Comment


                                #90
                                Originally posted by virtual_mantis
                                I would argue that quality and intensity of training is more important than style.
                                Styles, or rather competitive outlets for styles, dictate training.

                                You can not separate Muay Thai the style from Muay Thai training.

                                This is why I made the original point.
                                You say what about my rice?

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X