To Wing Chun or Not to Wing Chun is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fist of fury

The ring is not the proving grounds. There's no proof that WC doesn't produce effective fighters
    Heh.

I'm a wing chun guy myself, but you sound very funny. Just as there is no proof that wing chun doesn't produce effective fighters, there isn't any proof that it DOES produce effective fighters.
    That really isn't an argument...

Comment

Originally posted by virtual_mantis
      Are you a complete idiot? the above quote was my question to you. Isn't that how this whole forum thing works?

I'll say it again. IGNORANT!
      It wasn't a question to me. It was an attempt to put words in my mouth.

I have never said that. In fact, I've made a number of posts about this in this thread, where I specifically say that there will always be exceptions. Did you read my fucking posts?
      You say what about my rice?

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
        "The ring is not the proving grounds. There's no proof that WC doesn't produce effective fighters"

The burden of proof is on them. If there is no evidence one way or another that they generally can fight, why would someone take them over muay thai, which is proven effective?

What is there to prove so what if it works in the ring. MT is great I have no doubt that it can be used. But I've worked with MT and MT fighters and it's nothing special.
        "I didn't say that all WC people were were all humble."

Just all the good ones?
        nope I didn't say that either you shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by HAPKO3
          The ring IS the prooving grounds. Vale Tudo matches are the single best way I know of to determine who the better fighter is short of killing each other. If you have a better way, then please do tell. I'm all ears.

WHAT .... EVER! Can you rip ears? Can you gouge eyes? Can you kick nuts? Can you take out the knee? Tear flesh? Get your boys involved?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptShady
            WHAT .... EVER! Can you rip ears? Can you gouge eyes? Can you kick nuts? Can you take out the knee? Tear flesh? Get your boys involved?
            Do you spar like that?

...didn't think so.

He simply said it was the best way to train without causing any real damage.

Comment

The ring IS the prooving grounds. Vale Tudo matches are the single best way I know of to determine who the better fighter is short of killing each other. If you have a better way, then please do tell. I'm all ears.
              But I don't have time to train to be a ring fighter so how can I go to fight in vale tudo? the only way I can test what I know is against other local people and if it works for me than that's all I need to know. So I don't let what's on t.v. form my opinion on what's works for me.

Comment

WHAT .... EVER!

Can you rip ears?

Yes.

Can you gouge eyes?

Yes.

Can you kick nuts?

Yes.

Can you take out the knee?

Yes.

Tear flesh?

Yes.

Get your boys involved?

No.

What's your point? Getting your boys involved would be irrelevant due to the fact that we're talking about 1 on 1 unarmed combat here.

Vale Tudo translates literaly as "anything goes". These matches have been going on in a number of countries (Brasil and Russia mostly) for a long time now, and there's a wealth of evidence as to what is effective and what isn't.

Incedentally, all the same things that are effective in Vale Tudo are effective in more restricted MMA matches such as Pride and UFC. Certain weapons however, most notably headbutts, have been banned.

Comment

It wasn't a question to me. It was an attempt to put words in my mouth.

I have never said that. In fact, I've made a number of posts about this in this thread, where I specifically say that there will always be exceptions. Did you read my fucking posts?
                  Dude, if I was going to quote you there would be quote marks around your quote like this. "
                  I have never said that...."

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. All I'm saying is that you're declaring that WC is fine but if you wnat to be a fighter then study MT. this is IGNORANT.

A "style" doesn't make the fighter. I would argue that the way a person trains is what prepares the person for a fight. And even more so, the amount of desire or fire in that person's heart is what makes them a fighter regardless of style.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Monkey
                    Heh.

I'm a wing chun guy myself, but you sound very funny. Just as there is no proof that wing chun doesn't produce effective fighters, there isn't any proof that it DOES produce effective fighters.
                    That really isn't an argument...

That's kind of my point....it's the......Well if it's on the UFC, etc... it must be true mentality. Seems to be prevalant. I don't care what works for these professional ring fighters I only know what works for me and I haven't seen anything special in MT that would completely destroy a good WC fighter

Comment

Originally posted by fist of fury
                      But I don't have time to train to be a ring fighter so how can I go to fight in vale tudo? the only way I can test what I know is against other local people and if it works for me than that's all I need to know. So I don't let what's on t.v. form my opinion on what's works for me.
                      Sure. It shouldn't form your opinion, but it should influence it. Afterall, it's a valuable source of information. If you don't have what it takes to fight vale tudo on a regulr basis (hell, I sure as hell don't, I have a job, grad school, etc.) then you can use the information you can get from other people doing it.

Comment

WHAT .... EVER!

Can you rip ears?

Yes.

Can you gouge eyes?

Yes.

Can you kick nuts?

Yes.

Can you take out the knee?

Yes.

Tear flesh?

Yes.

Get your boys involved?

No.

What's your point? Getting your boys involved would be irrelevant due to the fact that we're talking about 1 on 1 unarmed combat here.

Vale Tudo translates literaly as "anything goes". These matches have been going on in a number of countries (Brasil and Russia mostly) for a long time now, and there's a wealth of evidence as to what is effective and what isn't.

Incedentally, all the same things that are effective in Vale Tudo are effective in more restricted MMA matches such as Pride and UFC. Certain weapons however, most notably headbutts, have been banned.
                        And you've fought in how many of these matches? Or are you going by some record you read on the net?

Comment

Originally posted by virtual_mantis
                          Dude, if I was going to quote you there would be quote marks around your quote like this. "
                          I have never said that...."

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. All I'm saying is that you're declaring that WC is fine but if you wnat to be a fighter then study MT. this is IGNORANT.

A "style" doesn't make the fighter. I would argue that the way a person trains is what prepares the person for a fight. And even more so, the amount of desire or fire in that person's heart is what makes them a fighter regardless of style.
                          Bullshit.

A style makes a fighter. It's not the only factor involved, but it's a major one, and denying this is beyond silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Monkey
                            Do you spar like that?

...didn't think so.

He simply said it was the best way to train without causing any real damage.
                            Oh, so sparring is exactly like a street fight? He said it's the PROVING GROUNDS FOR FIGHTING, period.

Comment

Sure. It shouldn't form your opinion, but it should influence it. Afterall, it's a valuable source of information. If you don't have what it takes to fight vale tudo on a regulr basis (hell, I sure as hell don't, I have a job, grad school, etc.) then you can use the information you can get from other people doing it.
                              Right but some people live thier lives by it. If it's not written down in the holy books of the UFC it's crap.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptShady
                                And you've fought in how many of these matches? Or are you going by some record you read on the net?
                                \

None.

I have, however, seen and analyzed a lot of them. In addition, I train and spar vale tudo on a regular basis.

However, I am nowhere near as good as pretty much anyone who competes in them.

I don't deny that.

I know just where I stand.

I have no ego.

I get my ass handed to me on a regular basis by people who are better than I am. That's how I learn.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X