No announcement yet.

To Wing Chun or Not to Wing Chun is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure. If you want to be a FIGHTER, you should train in something (or rather with someone) who consistently produces fighters. Anything else is sheer idiocy. If you WC teacher has cultivated successful fighters in the past, then by all means stick with him.

If you have other goals, then more power to you.

I, for one, train for my amusement. I just happen to fight full contact training to be the most amusing. If aikido happened to be my cup of tea, I would train in it, and not worry about the fact that it's not an optimal way to fight.

Different people have different goals.
    You say what about my rice?

Comment

Originally posted by HAPKO3
      What YOU train is more or less irrelevant. How long have you been training WC? Would you be willing to get in the ring with a MT fighter with as many years into the sport? Would you? Do you really think you'd stand a snowball's chance in hell?

We're talking about systems here, not individual experiences.

MT is a system geared towards fighting full contact. WC is not. Thus, if you want to learn how to fight, MT is a better way to go.

As with any rule, there are exceptions I'm sure. There's bad MT places, and I'm sure there are great WC places.
      Yes I would be willig to step in the ring with an MT fighter with the experience as me. As long as I don't have to fight by MT rules. Yes I think I'd stand a chance again as long as I don't have to fight by MT rules. I don't train MT enough to fight using MT or it's rules. But I sure would go against a MT fighter. No rules would be preferable

Comment

But that's a generealization.. Sure there are shitty schools that produce shitty fighters. There's nothing mystical about MT though people sure like to make it seem that way. The more popular and wide spread the art the more shitty fighters will be prevelant. There are plenty of shitty boxers and MT fighters but you don't hear much about that.

Comment

fist of fury: Try it and see how it goes. I would assume there would be plenty of people willing to step up. Whatever the outcome, it will be a great experience for you.

Comment

Nah, there aren't that many shitty boxers. There's people who call themselves boxers but aren't. They're a different story. But any active boxer with some experience, amateur or pro, will not be shitty. The shitty ones weed themselves out. Boxing involves getting punched in the face, you see, and the really bad ones don't last. You may be shitty compared to other active boxers, but compared to your average martial artist, you're God.

Comment

fist of fury: Try it and see how it goes. I would assume there would be plenty of people willing to step up. Whatever the outcome, it will be a great experience for you.
              I will infact I've worked with the fighters at our school good bunch of guys. One of the guys is a amatuer boxer he's 28-0 all by knock out. I didn't find it particularly difficult to handle his techs. Not that I danced circles around him. He's a big guy and hits real hard I think he's like 6'2" 280+. He's a bad mother fucker when it comes to a fight.

Comment

Did this guy actually try to knock you out?

Comment

I doubt it. So many claims of how terrible kenpo is, 1 offer of anytime, and a map to wear he trains. Not ONE .. no single individual stepped up. None! Zero! Nada! Zip!

Comment

Did this guy actually try to knock you out?
                    No there was no point to that I knew if he connected he could. He's got much more experience then me. The main point was that the MT art was nothing exceptional.

Comment

The reason I'm saking is because of the way I got into boxing.

I met this guy at some sort of a party. He was in his late 30s, decent shape, drinking with the rest of us. In any case, we got to talkin about matial arts. Turned out that he used to box a bit way back in the day (he was REALLY downplaying his experience, but that's beside the point) I was a brown belt in kenpo, but was looking for something more realistic at the time. In any case, we exchanged numbers and decided to spar later that week.

When we started sparring lightly, I thought I was doing ok. I was controlling the distance well, landing some punches and lots of kicks... I was happy with my performace. Then we decided to go full contact (it was my idea) for a few rounds. We start, circle for a few seconds, throw some jabs to get the distance down, I go in with a kick and bam, I'm on the ground. Repeat about 10 times.

In any case, this is how I met my coach.

Comment

The point is, it's incredibly difficult to tell how you would do in an actual fight through light ocntact sparring. A lot of things that seem to work in light sparring that you won't even get a chance to try in full contact. Try it sometime.

Comment

Just curious instead of completely dropping your kenpo why not just re-evaluate how he was able to that and use that knowlede to improve your kenpo?
                          and at the sametime just add some boxin to it

Comment

The point is, it's incredibly difficult to tell how you would do in an actual fight through light ocntact sparring. A lot of things that seem to work in light sparring that you won't even get a chance to try in full contact. Try it sometime.
                            I did with a friend of mine we went hard at each other. And I found out what worked and what didn't.....against him but it wouldn't make me drop my training.

Comment

Because my Kenpo was worthless. It really was. I actually had to put effort into unlearning a lot of the bad habits it has taught me.

I had already figured that out by the time I've met him. It took a painful and humiliating beating for me to realize it.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
                                "But that's a generealization.."

It also happens to be true.

"The more popular and wide spread the art the more shitty fighters will be prevelant."

The good fighters should be prevalent too.
                                And what if they don't brag about thier accomplishments how do we know about them?

Ok so if it's true where's the proof? televised sports aren't the final authority.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X