To Wing Chun or Not to Wing Chun is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wing_muay wrote
    /Based on my experience, I feel that the whole "trapping range" concept is kind of shaky.
    /I would be tempted to throw elbows, clinch or move out into punching range and these actions
    /do not constitute typical chi-sao responses.

Wing_muay has bong-saoed teh correct.

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial

Comment

Originally posted by wing_muay
      Based on my experience, I feel that the whole "trapping range" concept is kind of shaky. I would be tempted to throw elbows, clinch or move out into punching range and these actions do not constitute typical chi-sao responses.
      Although I've trained with wcg's (wing chun guys), I have never taken wc. Could some of you wcg's out there enlighten me. . .I understood elbows and clinches to be allowable in chi sao, if you can execute them. (or at least, they do in my friend's 'club')

`~\

(btw - re:"wing_muay"
      I first thought it was a play on "ng mui" and was impressed. Then, realizing you take wc & mt, changed my thinking. - Just curious, which is it?)
      sigpic

Comment

Elbows = good , yes .They are a MUST "In The Clinch" wich WC players often find themselves in .

Comment

Meex, Wing Chun does teach elbows, but only in higher forms.
          To clarify what I meant, I would be inclined to strike and then clinch or break away. Both these actions take me out of "trapping range"--where chi sao is most applicable

Comment

Higher forms? I was shown elbows within the first few months. As for chi sau being useful, had an example tonight - some prick i know lost his temper and started grabbing me, i did a lap sau trap and elbowed him in the throat using a textbook WT example, with no thought whatsoever in it, just happened from doing chi sau.

Comment

Originally posted by drummerboy

Wing_muay has bong-saoed teh correct.

Tomas

i belive it was a noi jut sao

Comment

Originally posted by wing_muay
                Meex, Wing Chun does teach elbows, but only in higher forms.
                To clarify what I meant, I would be inclined to strike and then clinch or break away. Both these actions take me out of "trapping range"--where chi sao is most applicable
                Ya, okay. . .'break away' - that makes sense. However, aren't clinching and elbows both in trapping range? (Jes trying ta unnerstan ya better.)

`~\

Still curious: what about the Ng Mui thing?
                sigpic

Comment

My understanding of "trapping range" was more along the lines of something between clinching and punching...the distance from which you could use a lop sao for example.

Unlike Das Moose, my WC school does not introduce students to elbows until later (unlike MT). Chi Sao with elbows does make sense to me because elbows are too dangerous to practice full contact anyway.

Comment

FYI, the name comes from merely adding WC to MT...not a play on ng mui...sorry to disappoint -)

Comment

W_M:
                      kewl. (to both posts)
                      Thanks.

`~\
                      sigpic

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X