To Wing Chun or Not to Wing Chun is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Osiris
    Muay thai produces fightes. WC generally does not. If you want to learn to fight, take muay thai.
    I still believe Chris Kattan did the best representation of wing chun in the movie UnderCover Brother.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Comment

darting fingers says

The WC guard should distance the opponent, ie. you should not be able to throw a hook around the WC guard with power due to distance and the blocking/parrying, when in closer range the guard should be compressed to cover the face like a boxing style if you do not have control of the opponent. It is designed so you can get in close by using an etended guard to gain control of the opponent and move in to shut them down, its entry technique and building the bridge which is paramount to using the guard effectively.
      this is one of the best explanations of the wing chun guard I have ever read/heard. Impressed.

Your entitled to your opinion, I fell differently.
      just to let you know in case you didn't know already...I didn't write that stuff up there I just copied it from another guy's post from the kungfumagazine forum.

Comment

Originally posted by BeLikeWater
        darting fingers says

this is one of the best explanations of the wing chun guard I have ever read/heard. Impressed.
        Yah, too bad it's fiction.
        Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Comment

scars = tom clancy ;)

Comment

Hapko boxing and mui thai, in my experience are no match for WC.
            Last edited by Tameo; 3/11/2004 10:47pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by HAPKO3
              The WC guard leaves the chin untucked = asking for trounble. When boxers/kickboxers throw punches, they use them to provide partial coverage for their face, WCers don't. This is all pretty basic stuff, really.
              Hopko you underestimate WC. Basic WC blocks can easily counter Boxer’s punches. They are slow compared to WC punches, it is very easy to see them coming because the elbow is showing, unlike the WC punches that are way faster (8.3 punches/second-William Cheung) and are much harder to see because the elbows are in. The first thing a boxer does when I spar with him is cover up and back off, because his hook, jab, cross have been countered really easily and punches are showering at his face. Stop bashing WC because it is clear that you know little about it.
              By the way don’t forget about bil-gee. I don’t think Thai boxers or boxers train to survive strikes to the eyes and to various pressure points.

Comment

Yeah I know Be Like Water.

Kungfoolss, come out to Oz and I'll give you a story to tell.
                "Pussyhole"

Comment

Originally posted by BeLikeWater
                  scars = tom clancy ;)
                  Funny thing about Tom Clancy novels, events in his book have strange way of coming true and are amazingly accurate. ;)

Comment

I certainly hope not. Im going to the olympics this year. And I've read Rainbow Six :(

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Monkey
                      I certainly hope not. Im going to the olympics this year. And I've read Rainbow Six :(
                      As along as you don't have german special forces attempting to rescue you, you should be okay.
                      Last edited by Kungfoolss; 3/11/2004 11:05pm, .

Comment

HAPKO3
                        thanks, yep thats the same thing I figured out.
                        my teacher put a lot of kickboxing in with it too, and thet kickboxing became somewhat of a delivery system for the kenpo, but the basics contradict each other too much. So it became kickboxing with alot of close in trapping/checking. Mostly kickboxing is all that would show through while sparring. I was lucky enough to have the kickboxing along with it. It actually helped me realize that much of the kenpo sucked. As far a kenpo goes, I think I was at a better than average school, but mostly beause of my teachers cross training. He did kickboxing and some phillipino knife stuff first.

Comment

It's the fighter, not the art. Anybody who says otherwise is a complete fucking moron. End of discussion.
                          You do know that bruce lee did not write that phrase in order to provide an excuse to train like a tard, right?

"The only important elements in any society
                          are the artistic and the criminal,
                          because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
                          can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Comment

Is it me or is the only negativity wing chun has recieved on this thread the bunch of fucktards whining about "t3h str33t"?

As everyone reasonable has said, do it if you like it. If not then go for something else. Wing Chun does have the capacity to make you a good fighter, this hasnt been disputed, but if you are already this indecisive you probably need the extra motivation provided by a "sport" style, winchun lawyer had a very good experience with his WC vs MT, yours was th opposite, isnt it natural that people will gravitate towards different things in the martial arts?
                            CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Comment

I think there was an air of negativity before this thread even started, but I know what you mean going on about "t63 s7r33t" is stupid although there are bits and pieces that do change there, other things are much more important.
                              "Pussyhole"

Comment

I hated Rainbow Six

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X