Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Are you gonna be single soon?
    Ain't it a bitch it do shit with boxing gloves if you've never used them before?

Well.....at my old WC place. I trained kicks a lot, therefore I got good at them.
    I have a massive stomp kick and my own version of the toe kick.
    Gotta love the low roundhouse kick though...
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Good read, I'm glad you found your WC to be of use. As you gain skill in MT you can work on combining the two together and making your own hybrid style, instead of forcing yourself to chose one or the other.

I just attended a WC seminar last Saturday, and I found the art very complementry to my own. I think WC could add good stuff to a lot of styles. I'm sure it is the same for starting in WC and adding stuff to it.

Comment

When on the inside, be careful about uppercuts and hooks. Some people love getting inside and going to work on your face. WC apparently helps you in this regard because of its in-fighting emphasis. But just be aware of that. You might as well distance yourself a bit anyway to practice your kicks. Kicking pads and bags is one thing, you really know if your kicks are working if you land them consistently on people during sparring.

Also, with people more experienced than you, if they're not troglodytes they will know to go easy on you. This guys seems like one of those people. Be aggressive - because if you let them attack first a lot chances are they will get you every time...and in your case especially if they start kicking you, and doing kick/punch combinations (have you learned the 4-count yet? That's the kick, cross, hook, kick , or kick, hook, cross, kick depending on if it's left or right side). There's my 2 cents. Hopefully you will become a MT convert!!!11

Comment

Originally posted by Punisher
          As you gain skill in MT you can work on combining the two together and making your own hybrid style, instead of forcing yourself to chose one or the other.
          That's precisely what I want to do. For instance, my sifu does not put much emphasis on kicks, so I pratice lots of MT kicks, which are great. And I also think that WC has much to add to many styles.

Are you gonna be single soon?
          What do you mean by that, PizDof? I am not spending less time with my lady because of my MA training, I assure you, and I can still work and study without a problem.

And yes, boxing gloves suck when you are not used to them. They also stink after they have been used by another guy. Urgh.
          That civilisation may not sink,
          Its great battle lost,
          To a distant post;
          A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

Originally posted by albert
            When on the inside, be careful about uppercuts and hooks. Some people love getting inside and going to work on your face.
            How do you think my ear got red? Thanks for the advice anyway. I actually used a thai knee strike when the guy got too close (and it WOULD have landed, if I wanted to get killed by an angry MT monster), but mostly centerline defense w/ tan sao worked pretty well.

Hopefully you will become a MT convert!!!
            Man, I already am a MT convert! MT is great, no doubt about that. But I do love the wing chun style of fighting - closed, concentrated, focused, and very, very direct.
            Its great battle lost,
            To a distant post;
            A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

That was a good read WingChun Lawyer. I hope you continue to enjoy muay Thai.

Comment

Good read WCL, just curious are you saying that in the 20mnths of wc you haven't done much kicking at all?
                Punisher good to see some positive feedback from non-wing chunners on this site.
                "Pussyhole"

Comment

Originally posted by Darting Fingers
                  Good read WCL, just curious are you saying that in the 20mnths of wc you haven't done much kicking at all?
                  Nope. Sad but true, we really haven't done much kicking at my wc class. I think sifu is saving that for chum kiu, and none of us is actually on that level.

My sifu actually does teach stuff from other levels other than our current ones, but he really taught us very little about kicks, for some reason or another. We just did about three or four kicks-only classes (kicks in the air, kicking pads, etc): those were good, but we really didn't practice enough kicking overall.
                  Its great battle lost,
                  To a distant post;
                  A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

Hmm, sounds funny that you don't do kicking. Usually that's a basic thing: how to front kick and roundhouse...it's part of the first programs in WT. In the Chum Kiu, the kicks are completely different, except for the normal front kick.

Anyway: good read, thanks for sharing your experiences. I would've guessed that you are better in the infight with WC than the MT guy. I train with MT ppl and they have stopped to go into the clinch with me and try to keep me away :D

Keep up the good work and please write a follow-up to this article when you have time...

Comment

A lot of really interesting thoughts there. I look forward to hearing more. Also, do you feel like things would have gone better if you could have grabbed him or trapped him? Or is that allowed in MT rules?

Comment

Good read, thx.

I think doing WT/WC without sparring is almost useless, and as usually in WT/WC class people don't spar, you did the right thing to choose MT.

I would suggest in the future that you try also some wrestling/groundfighting style such as wrestling itself, BJJ judo etc.

I did the opposite than you: I practiced BJJ and kickboxing first for 6 yrs, than shifted to WT and Escrima 2 yrs ago, and I found that my experience in sparring/fighting with the two styles helped me a lot to actually use WT (not Escrima as it is a bit different) in a realistic way.

In my WT class however from 3rd grade up we practice sparring with gloves, headgear etc., which as I said above is fundamental to develop certain reflexes and it's the only way simulate a "real" situation

Ciao

Comment

Prone: I will write a follow up to this (article? thanks!) whenever I have something interesting to say about my MT experiences, as compared to my WC training (i.e. usually when I spar). As for the kicking, I guess my sifu wants us to develop a really good base before moving on to that - we do lots and lots of base exercises, remember.

by-the-throat: I don't think grabbing is allowed in MT (I certainly wouldn't try it with those boxing gloves). And I personally don't like trapping: it was hard enough to defend my centerline and attack the other guy, I really don't think trying that would be worth the effort.

bncwd: I actually came from judo. I did 10 years of judo before starting jujutsu, then taekwondo (just a month of that), and finally wing chun. Much as I understand the importance of grappling arts (obviously, as I have more experience on that than with striking), I have much more fun practicing striking arts nowadays.
                          Its great battle lost,
                          To a distant post;
                          A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

Good stuff.

Comment

Nice work mate.

Tan sao punch against hook punch? Yeah, i can see how that would work... try fak sao + punch. Trust me.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X