Stuart Hamby - Fierce Martial Arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuart Hamby - Fierce Martial Arts

Ok, so this gentleman was brought to my attention today. He actually runs a school not that far from me down in New Castle, IN. I plan to contact him directlly shortly, but I wanted to post the info I've found before he gets a chance to change it. Anyway here are his claims:
    • I have been doing Martial Arts since I was 4 Years old.
    • I have done just about everything you can do in the martial arts world.
    • I am a State and National Champion.
    • I am a undefeated mixed martial arts fighter.
    • I am a Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do.
    • I Black Belt in Brazilian Jujitsu, Japanese Jujitsu, and American jujitsu.
    • And I am a Black Sash in Tai Chi.
    • A 5th Dan in MMA.
    • And a 2nd Degree in Judo.

This all comes from his MySpace page at:
    http://www.myspace.com/stuhamby8

He doesn't appear to have an actual website for his gym. He just has myspace and facebook pages. Here they all are:
    http://www.myspace.com/472936392
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...4210862&ref=ts
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...9183231&ref=ts

I've attached a screen grab of the important stuff should he change it later. Anyway, here's the start. I'll follow up when/if I get responses from him about his claims.

Last edited by Wolf; 2/19/2011 12:38am, .

his highlight video:

http://www.myspace.com/video/4729363...ight/106893291

Comment

He is listed on Sherdog at 170 lbs as 0-0, so I guess he is technically 'undefeated'.

He doesn't say 'state' or 'national' champion in what, so god knows what he could mean.

Also, a 5th Dan in MMA? Really?
      "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

Comment

MMA.TV has him at 1-0. He fought as an amateur at Chris Lytle's Red Cobra Fights. It goes down as NSF because it was a Not Sanctioned Fight. I was actually at the event I believe.

Comment

Update. Finally tracked down an email address for the gym. Sent this. Waiting for reply...

Mr. Hamby,

I am a staff member at Bullshido.Net. Your MySpace profile was brought to my attention as your are a local instructor at Fierce Martial Arts. You have some pretty incredible credentials. I was hoping you could shed some light on some things for future prospective students.

1) You mention that you are a "State and National Champion." Could list the competitions that you acheived your champion status in?

2) You list yourself as an undefeated MMA fighter. Is this amateur or pro, and can you list the events you've competed in?

3) You are a Black Belt in Taekwondo. What is your lineage in this art? Specifically who was your instructor and under what organization?

4) You are a Black Belt in Brazilian Jujitsu. Who promoted you to this rank? Also, have you competed, and if so where and what were the results?

5) You are a Black Belt in Japanese Jujitsu. Who promoted you to this rank, and what specific discipline of Japanese Jujitsu is the black belt in?

6) You are a Black Belt in American Jujitsu. Who promoted you to this rank?

7) You are a Black Sash in Tai Chi. Who promoted you to this rank?

8) You are a 5th Dan in MMA. Who promoted you to this rank?

9) You are a 2nd Degree Black Belt in Judo. Who promoted you to this rank, and what organization is your belt under? Further have you competed and if so where?

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read and hopefully respond to this.

Comment

Anyway, I'm wondering if he is playing the spelling game.
            http://www.usjjf.org/info/yudansha.htm

United States Ju-Jitsu Federation.
            Stuart R. Hamby, 1st Dan

We already had this devolve in another thread, that was culled into YMAS. What you copied has the semantic based spelling of "JU." Yes, it is wrong IMO.

Also, he is listed here as a BB:
            I don't know what this means but:
            http://bjjcoach.com/index.php?option...765&Itemid=143
            About me
            I am a Ju-jitsu student and teacher and I am just looking to broaden my game.
            Experience
            Advanced
            Rank
            Black Belt
            He constantly spells it "JU" everywhere. I'd focus on the MMA and Judo claims first IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
              Anyway, I'm wondering if he is playing the spelling game.
              http://www.usjjf.org/info/yudansha.htm

United States Ju-Jitsu Federation.
              Stuart R. Hamby, 1st Dan

We already had this devolve in another thread, that was culled into YMAS. What you copied has the semantic based spelling of "JU." Yes, it is wrong IMO.

Also, he is listed here as a BB:
              I don't know what this means but:
              http://bjjcoach.com/index.php?option...765&Itemid=143

He constantly spells it "JU" everywhere. I'd focus on the MMA and Judo claims first IMO.
              Well the USJJF would I guess satisfy the BB in "American Jujitsu," however the fact that he's very clear on his myspace about saying Brazilian Jujitsu makes that part worth looking in to. I may have missed something somewhere, but I haven't seen an organization for Brazilian JUJITSU that is seperate from the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu that is common.

As for the other link, that's just his profile on Marcelo Montiero's community site. He put that information in there and it's not verified by anyone.

Comment

Well the USJJF would I guess satisfy the BB in "American Jujitsu," however the fact that he's very clear on his myspace about saying Brazilian Jujitsu makes that part worth looking in to. I may have missed something somewhere, but I haven't seen an organization for Brazilian JUJITSU that is seperate from the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu that is common.
                Gezere explained it when this came up with a 4th degree JJJ guy playing the same BS advertising and spelling game. All I am saying is the spelling may turn into a dead end and to focus on the things that are very clear.
                5th in MMA? No semantics game and it would be an in house unrecognized claim.
                2nd Degree in Judo? It is either in house or legit, No Semantics game.

I know I'm pointing out he is very careful to use the JU not the Jiu version even on a BJJ website.

Comment

Yeah. I get what you're saying, and I understand where it could go. Either way he seems to have some sort of 'Jujitsu' rank from an org, be it shady or not. I'm at least going to ask about the Brazilian claim. If he wants to step back on that then we can go from there. Either way he has at least once claimed a BB in Brazilian 'Jujitsu'.

Comment

Oh, I didn't mean not to ask. More stopping the terrible derail that may occur.
                    Like this one:
                    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=103668

I think it is a load of crap, but don't want the huge derail. I should have been clearer. I think I may have found his TKD school. I'll wait to post that information after he responds.

Comment

Also worth noting, is that according to his myspace page and his page for his school on facebook he is 19 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                        He doesn't appear to have an actual website for his gym. ...
                        I think this is it, no?
                        http://fiercemartialarts.webs.com/
                        Photos and videos there.

Comment

That is indeed them. Good find. I don't think they use that site much if at all anymore though. I think they do all their stuff through facebook and myspace from what I've been seeing.

Comment

Ok, so there's been a lot of developments. In the Interest of transparency I'll post our email exchanges. This was his reply to the first email I sent:

Originally posted by Stuart Hamby
                            Paul,

Hello, I don't check this email very often or at all really. I just check it on occasion. I would love to provide you with this information I have nothing to hide, but I am just wondering why you ask for all this or what your site or yourself does with this information. It isn't uncommon for a new prospect or student to ask some of these things but it just seems like I got your email out of the blue asking for all this information. What exactlydoes bullshido.com do and so forth and what is the information you are asking me to provide go to?

Thanks,
                            Stuart Hamby

Ps: I will check this email in the next few days for your reply. If everything checks out clear I will gladly give you my Martial Arts History and continuing succesful future. I just won the Heavyweight Black Belt Ju-jitsu State Championships on Feb 19 in Richmond Indiana for the Alliance. I was in the Black Belt Super Fight.
                            My reply:
                            Originally posted by Me
                            Mr Hamby,

Thank your for your reply. I do appreciate your willingness to be open. In exchange for your openness I'll be forthright. So please don't take offense to anything I say or ask. Bullshido has been around for a number of years. We operate as a sort of Consumer Reports on Martial Arts. We make it a point to post knowledge we can gather of various schools and instructors. Your list of credentials is pretty amazing. It is just something I am trying to verify for our records. Your credentials were brought to my attention by someone who was curious as to if they were in fact legitimate. If you would be willing to verify each of these claims by answering the questions I posted previously I can then write an article about you and your school and post it so that your programs get added exposure. We do have over 100,000 members, so it's pretty good exposure. Thank you again for your reply, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Sincerely,
                            Paul Romer
                            I have a lot more. I'm just posting it in parts.

Comment

Our next correspondance...

Originally posted by Stuart Hamby
                              Paul,

Ok, I will star right now and get you all the information. I have nothing to hide, however for some reason I was just accused of me saying that I am a Lloyd Irvin BJJ Black Belt and there is no way this is true at all. His guys are truely some of the best in the world and I wanted to see if the same person that started this rumor about me, asked you for my information. Can you please tell me who asked because I am pretty sure that it is the same person. I have never shown nothing but respect to these fellow Martial Artist and I would not disgrace someone like that. Please let me know who is was and I will then send over the rest of the information for you, I will start typing it up so its ready to send upon your reply.

Thanks,
                              Stuart
                              Originally posted by Me
                              Mr. Hamby,

That seems fair enough to me. In the interest of moving this forward, and hopefully getting this resolved quickly I am will to provide that. The person who directed me to you, and asked me to have bullshido check out your claims is James Clingerman of Indiana Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy. I look forward to your reply.

Yours Sincerely,
                              Paul Romer
                              as a note, I did get James' permission to disclose his name to Mr. Hamby. More coming...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X