No announcement yet.

XingYi on BJJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to learn how to fight on the ground - Wrong. Totally wrong.
    That's it for me.

Comment

but our most infamous XYQ man (Jenfucius) just called the author of the article an idiot and left.
      Maybe you should follow suit.

Comment

I think that you folks were fair and intelligent in discussing this. Whilst I can't speak for the man himself, the theories espoused in that article are flawed, and several people have explained why that is. No real name calling, no flaming, just sound opinion based on expirence and reality. Doesn't change the fact that the author is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by WingChun Lawyer

Personally, I keep posting because I was hoping we could have some interesting discussion with XYQ practitioners regarding base training and possible defenses against grapplers, but our most infamous XYQ man (Jenfucius) just called the author of the article an idiot and left. Oh well.
          What does that last bit tell you?

Apparently not what it should.

Comment

This Gong Fu is watering down my tequila and orange juice.
            Originally posted by The Wastrel
            I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

Why the hell would I want to hear some Xing Yi Quan guy's position on grappling? Maybe Tadzio should listen to Jenfucius, who actually went to the trouble of testing his skills out against a wrestler.
              Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

That is a revolutionary thought.

Comment

you should get good or at least descent in one range before cross training. Most mma guys come from grappling or kickboxing backgrounds so they don't start with everything at once like some recent clubs advocate.

Comment

Hi all;
                    Seems like you're having a lot of fun eh? Saying I am an idiot, trying to imply that I speak for all the XYQ fighters in the world (that was a good one), saying that I have no experience with grapplers and saying other things too, just won't help,
                    I could stop by and discuss with you guys but after reading the educated comments here I just don't feel like it? Am I scared ? Maybe. I am an idiot? Possible. Do I have fighting experience? Who knows. Discussions like this (more educated, that is) have been going on for years, repeating themselves over and over and I just don't have patirence anymore. As I said, I could, if people were more educated. After spending so many years in China education became an everyday concept for me.
                    I will say only that I stop believing in internet discussions a long time ago and Gongfu is not to be talked about, but to be trained and tested. I have tested myself agains BJJ, Muythai,Karate, Judo, and anyone I can find in China: Yiquan, Tongbei, Shaolin. Taiji, Bagua an others.
                    I was born in Rio de Janeiro, Copacabana, the heart of BJJ, Does it mean anything? maybe yes, maybe now. I don't claim anything.
                    In the spirit of friendship I want to invite anyone that stops by in Shanxi to look for me (e-mail) and I'll meet you for training. If you go to Beijing, I'll go down there to meet you. We can sit down together, discuss things and have something to drink, train, whatever.
                    I also want to say that I won't post in this topic anymore because I honestly believe that nothing productive will be generated here. If you want to discuss with me send me an emai and I will answer, or post on my forum.
                    Another thing is that since I wrote that article, I have changed a lot, evoluted and if I was to rewrite it today, I'd change a few things but I believe one should not be ashamed of evoluting and besides, I back up what I write.

All the best.

Tadzio G.
                    Last edited by Tadzio; 3/08/2004 11:34pm, .

Comment

1. i was puking all weekend so i didn't have time to play with you idiots.

2. i didn't say tadzio had claimed to represent the xing yi quan community, i said that the title of this thread portrayed his view as the XYQ view. XYQ and CMA in general are so diverse that i think it is inherently wrong for any one person to speak on behalf of a particular style.

3. tadzio, why don't you post some more specifics? what level of BJJ you tested yourself against, what you would change about your article, etc. otherwise people will think of you as arrogant and as refusing to evolve, which is a serious problem with character as much as it is with MA.

4. there are very few XYQ teachers, especially in japan or the west. i don't know of any that competed in MMA so making statements about XYQ in MMA is purely speculative. my teacher did have great success with XYQ in san shou though, both in personal competition and in coaching.

5. there is no way that the level of striking in MMA in general has approached the level of grappling. that'll be my opinion until bernard hopkins or roy jones leaves the squared circle to fight in the octagon.

Comment

and matt, you are a old fat bitch. you talk a lot of horseshit for someone who took BJJ for 2 months last summer and has a 1st degree black belt in TKD. neither of those qualifications means shit. so go take your man boobs and ride some nuts elsewhere, bitch!

Comment

Just a question,Tadzio,are you the same guy who appeared in the China MA website www.wushuweb.com?
                          "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
                          - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Comment

Originally posted by Matt W.
                            After further thought, I do see what you mean about him relying on the "specialization" argument, WCL. It seems he's saying that the reason BJJers do so well is because their specialized, and in order for XYQers to be able to defend against that, they need to also specialize... in thier XYQ. Of course, that is also wrong, and it doesn't change the fact that the arguments he uses to support his idea are lame excuses.

And thanks, HAPKO.

Regards,
                            Matt
                            I think what he means is specialization of techniques,not of style---concentrate on a few techniques to improve the power,timing,speed and precision of the techniques,though that doesnt mean these are the only things he or she knows~~~
                            "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
                            - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Comment

Originally posted by Jenfucius
                              5. there is no way that the level of striking in MMA in general has approached the level of grappling. that'll be my opinion until bernard hopkins or roy jones leaves the squared circle to fight in the octagon.
                              Silva
                              Filipovic
                              Belfort

...and rumor has it, Peter Aerts is on his way to Pride.
                              Originally posted by The Wastrel
                              I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

... in general I think Jen's point is hard to refute.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X