Hanging up a heavybag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaptShady
    Take a 2 x 6, and intersect the rafters with it. Then screw it into as many rafters as you can, and hang your bag from the middle of the 2 x 6. This will distribute the weight, and should stop any rattling elsewhere in the house. Me personally, I'd add the spring that katana mention, just for more protection and noise prevention (thanks for that idea btw).
    From personal experience and some carpentry and house buidling experience, thsi is what I would recommend also.

Comment

I had a bag hanging in my rather high ceiling garage. At first I had a long chain but the bag swung too much. So I built an extending brace out of a 4x4 and a couple 2x4's for support. It worked really well for a year or so. Just predrill and use a long enough eye bolt. Those 2 and 4 bolt brackets would probably not be good on a 2x as that would make too many holes and more chance of splitting the wood.

I sold the hanging bag awhile back and got a TKO Big Boy and filled it with about 300lbs of sand. It's a very sturdy bag. I can move it out of the way in my small garage/home gym. http://www.reames.org/images/homegym/bag-tower.jpg
      http://logo-design-guy.com/tko-big-boy.html

I never thought about the spring idea, that would have helped with noise and vibration. I need to get one for the kid's 25lb bag in the playroom.

Comment

I'll assume you've seen this page already but take a look at the rafter hanger it will allow you to distribute the weight over two rafters instead of one. Pretty much required if your rafters are 2X stock.

http://store.titleboxing.com/heavy-b...cessories.html

Comment

We have long chains at our school. My coach likes it because it's easy to see who is pushing the bag and who is hitting it. If you push your techniques too much the bag swings all over the place. If you hit with your techniques the bag bends and stays relatively still.

Comment

We have long chains at our school. My coach likes it because it's easy to see who is pushing the bag and who is hitting it. If you push your techniques too much the bag swings all over the place. If you hit with your techniques the bag bends and stays relatively still.
            That makes sense. I think I read something like that after I built the brace. At the time I was new at using a bag also the bag was a cheap, stiff, 60lb bag.

Comment

my extremist solution to this one was to buy a telephone pole and bury it in the garden with about 9-10 foot above ground at a 30 degree angle or so (its easier to cheat and rather than have 15 foot of wood underground and hit a gas main, get the end cut off a use some concrete). You then bodge a hole through the end and hang the bag off it, you lose one side of the bag, but it saves hassle (and training in the bracing english air is good for you im sure)

Comment

I would consider planting a freakin' telephone pole in my garden a hassle. That's just me.

Comment

I wish my rafter were exposed. That's for all the good adice. I'll tell you if I put a hole in the living room floor...

Comment

Use your knuckle to tap to find the rafter's general location or buy a cheap stud finder.
                    Then use a hammer and a small (4-6d) finish nail to determine where the edges of the rafter are.
                    Then, mark the center and drill a hole 3/16"smaller than the width of the thread.
                    Put some wax or oil on the threads so it is easier to screw into the rafter.
                    Be sure that you buy a long screw eye so that at least 3" is in the wood.

If your ceiling is plaster and lath you need to chip away some of the plaster between the lath to visually determine the rafter's center. use a large washer to conceal the mess you just made or use lightweight spackle to fill.
                    Last edited by Moleculo; 3/04/2004 1:59pm, .

Comment

Utility poles are extremely expensive

Plus, the city would make you get a permit.
                      Plus, you would need a backhoe and about 1,000 lbs of concrete to keep the thing from falling over.
                      or you could have a piledriver modified to drive the pole in at an angle and you wouldn't need the concrete.
                      I estimate the modification of the piledriver to be in the range of $500,000 (US)

Comment

what about the stands you can buy that's a combo of heavy bag and speed bag? are those any good or do they move all over the place?

Comment

Originally posted by Jenfucius
                          what about the stands you can buy that's a combo of heavy bag and speed bag? are those any good or do they move all over the place?
                          They're okay if you bolt them to the floor. The speedbag vibrates BIG TIME though. You'd have to cut another 1 inch, or 3/4 piece of plywood out the same size as your board, and attach the 2, to get rid of the vibration.

Comment

Thanks reese, that gave me an idea. I have a stud finder, but I couldn't figure out a way to find out if they're 2x4 or taller without cutting a hole in the ceiling and looking. Drill a small hole and stick a thin rod up it beside the stud to measure height. It's always the simple answers you over look.

Comment

they are expensive?

i picked up one from a knackers yard for about 40 quid (70 odd dollars)

and i dont know what colour the sky is in a world where they make you get a permit to bury a piece of wood in your garden.

i have not doubt that you have better knowledge of martial arts than me, but i used to be an engineer, i know what im talking about, and i did this with a few shovels and one other person

Comment

Originally posted by TCDD
                                and i dont know what colour the sky is in a world where they make you get a permit to bury a piece of wood in your garden.
                                I'm with ya there bro. They're called "Home Associations", I call 'em "Commies" :p

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X