Kesa-Gatame subs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kesa-Gatame subs?

Okay so at the last Throwdown I was grappling Osiris and I put him in a sweet scarf hold. Unfortunately that's ALL I did. I instinctively went for it becasue it's my favorite pin. But the only sub I know from there is the one where you pass their arm after they try to push your head back(sorry don't know the name). And since he was smart enough not to try that I was lost. Ideas?

Kata gatame is the technique name you needed and, in my experience, is the easiest one.

I've also gotten ude garame as well as a straight elbowlock with the legs.

Comment

Also, while attempting the aforementioned armlocks with your legs, you might find that you're not submitting them, but that their arm is trapped by your legs/butt. This makes it easier to go for a lock on the other arm, often by switching to yoko shiho gatame (side control).

Comment

If you turn your body into them just right (i.e. put your body weight into them..which is easier if you're more massive) you can submit them that way, at least it's been done to me. Kinda hard to explain, a much more experienced judoka did it to me - I just felt like I was being crushed.

However, another judoka I know told me about emptying the air out of your lungs when you're being smothered to all hell. So basically I don't think that technique would work against someone who's more experienced. All in all the ones I've been taught most often are the armlocks that have been mentioned in the previous posts.
        Last edited by albert; 2/10/2004 8:38pm, .

Comment

Here is my new sub I do from there.
          First entangle the arms with your legs.
          Second, take the non hear locking arm and thread it under his neck, deap into the armbit, transition to side mount by letting go with your arm that had been around his neck...you need to get his arm that you have the armpit hold on out to get a good control.
          Third, grab his belt push him on to his side while raising your knee into the back of his head.
          From thier you have a neck crank if you take your leg that is behind the neck and get it in front of the arm so that the knee is pressing right into the spine.
          If he gets his arm between you and his body, you can work a juji.
          If the arm is not thier and he is wearing a gi, reach across from the choke.
          The whole position fucking sucks for the bottom person.
          And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

There's a bit of a "sucker" wristlock if you want to be cheap. Loosen up on the arm you've got under your armpit, just a little. If you stay somewhat tight, the guy under you will have to bend his wrist to get his hand under your armpit - and right then you clamp back down and cowhoof his wrist into your armpit. Hahahahaha! Sucker.
            "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
            West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
            (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Comment

Arm triangle.
              Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

I agree with wastrel, arm triangle. (I'm sure Beatdown Richie agrees too)

Comment

if they try to pull their arm through, you can often collapse it over their neck- doesn't really strangle them but makes them v. Uncomfy and they will often tap.

If i end up in kesa, i normally wait till they try to make space, then switch hips and transition to mune gatame, from there follow your nose till you end up in sub city

Comment

Arm Triangle, and figure-four armlock under the leg closest to the head.

A straight armlock under the far leg, is, IMO, wishful thinking on anybody with experience unless they really fuck up badly.

Comment

Dont forget about your neck cranks, or to step over the head for the armlock, or trap their arm and step over their head for the reverse triangle.

You also have the kesa

Comment

stocks sit out neck crank, my "favorite"
                        8 years till retirement.

Comment

There are a few neck ranks from there. My favorite is whichever gets me the tap at that particular moment, they all work.

Comment

or to step over the head for the armlock,
                            *Slaps forehead.*
                            Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

You dont like that submission?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X