X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grammar question:

Worse vs Worst

when, where, how?

"Worse" is used when you compare things, right? (You are worse than your father)

"Worst" is an absolute: there is no comparison (You are the worst player on this gym)

Bear in mind that english is not my first language, I could be wrong.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

worse is used to compare things

ex: the rash on my balls is worse than the hemmorhoids on my ass

worst is generally used to qualify one thing

ex: i took the worst smelling shit ever during lunch

does that help any, i tried to use examples that you could relate to

Comment

Yes, Omega only got c's and b's in English.

Comment

Sounds right to me, good work boys!

Comment

The guy in Japan and the guy in Brazil have
            answered Omega's English grammar question correctly.
            The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
            - Pizdoff

Comment

I was at school!! I can point out that technically there is still an implied comparison.
              Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

Originally posted by The Wastrel
                I was at school!! I can point out that technically there is still an implied comparison.
                I dare you! I double dare you!

By the way, what is the damn difference between "than" and "then"? As I know, "than" is used for comparisons, while "then" is used to move on the phrase, right?
                That civilisation may not sink,
                Its great battle lost,
                Quiet the dog, tether the pony
                To a distant post;
                Our master Caesar is in the tent
                Where the maps are spread,
                His eyes fixed upon nothing,
                A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

Originally posted by WingChun Lawyer
                  "Worse" is used when you compare things, right? (You are worse than your father)

"Worst" is an absolute: there is no comparison (You are the worst player on this gym)

Bear in mind that english is not my first language, I could be wrong.
                  Worst is also a comparisson of many...

Tom is worse than Tim but Greg is the worst of the three.

Worst thread ever....

He is the worst fighter I have ever seen.

Comment

bad/worse/worst
                    good/better/best

"Worse/better" are comparatives, that is they compare the qualities of two things. "Worst/best" are superlatives, use these words when comparing more than two things.

However the most incorrectly used words by native speakers in the English language are "your" and "you're." "Your" refers to something you possess (e.g. Your skills are excellent), while "you're" is a contraction of "you are." (e.g. You're a great martial artist).

By the way, my grammar isn't the best either, so please don't flame me.

Comment

However the most incorrectly used words by native speakers in the English language are "your" and "you're."
                      When writing.
                      Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

'than' is comparative i.e. TKD sucks more than a vaccum cleaner .

'then' is timebound i.e. I'll study TKD then I'll get my ass kicked

Comment

effect and affect used to be the ones that I messed up all the time, still do once in awhile actually

Comment

a common one to mess up is who vs. whom

Comment

Well, if I remember correctly, "effect" is a noun while "affect" is a verb. If that helps any. Also, when it comes to spoken English, either "who" or "whom" can be used. However, technically speaking, "who" replaces the subject while "whom" replaces the object.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X