• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cassius
    replied
    Originally posted by BlacksmithSEAL View Post
    Posts about unidentified animal
    I didn't find this thread until today, so I apologize for the necro, but a couple observations:

1.) That thing looks like a monkey or baboon of some type. Any possibility someone relatively near where you live may have lost a pet that he/she wasn't supposed to have? That racket he's making sounds like monkey talk. I guess whatever it is isn't raiding your trash. That's pretty weird. Maybe it's afraid of your dogs? From a purely experimental standpoint, it'd be nice to remove the dogs from the equation, though I realize this isn't practical. Now I'm all curious. It'd be fun to camp out with some thermals and NVDs. I don't think my armorer would approve of signing them out for a few nights for the purpose of "Critter stalking," though.

2.) Based upon the image you have, perhaps it's smaller than you might suspect? Just on a quick glance, whatever it is looks like it could be sort of climbing or bracing against the tree, so maybe its hind legs are off the ground? It'd still be a substantial sized animal, but perhaps significantly smaller than 4'6".

Leave a comment:

• Rickko
    replied
    That Bigfoot "investigator" needs a freakin' smack in the head.
    Oh,I'm sorry,I forgot to tell you that I was calling it out.
    Oh yeah,& I forgot to tell you it might get pissed & follow you home & call YOU out.
    Damn Uncool.

Whatever this thing is it seems to be the one making the rules.

Leave a comment:

• Permalost
    replied
    Originally posted by battlefields View Post
    I love the idea of giant lizards, it makes me think that mythological dragons might have been the exaggerated stories of endangered lizard species.
    Ever hear about the olm?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olm

Leave a comment:

• Styygens
    replied
    While we're all waiting for the next installment, I thought I'd share this:

http://io9.com/5635018/the-five-stra...bout-sasquatch

Leave a comment:

• battlefields
    replied
    Please do. For the record, I'm hoping you bag a bigfoot, as said earlier, solving this case would be epic.

Leave a comment:

• BlacksmithSEAL
    replied
    BlacksmithSEAL, just a quick question, do you think it is at all possible that this BDRO guy was trying to drum up business? As in, he made a random noise, rocked up to your house, banged the trailer, ran off and then said, "yeah, I was afraid that would happen, because I challenged him, you know". Not skepticism, just deduction.
    The question is not out of line, but the short/quick answer is "NOPE!".

I live in a very rural environment on a mile-long dead-end road. It's all forested. All utilities are underground. The road linking all the various 10-acre lots is the only evidence of civilization other than the driveways/houses of the residents. The BFRO (Big Foot Research Online) investigator is a full-time Cable Installer for COX Communications in a major urban city some 50 miles to our north.

Anytime a strange vehicle rolls down our roadway, every dog in the area sounds the 'bark alarm' and all residents are quickly made aware of an 'intruder'. The man drives a large white COX COMMUNICATIONS panel van. There's just no hiding it, nor any "sneaking up" on our residents by regular, civilized folks. Besides... the BFRO Investigator is very (VERY!) aware of my weapons-handling skills, my ready access to numerous loaded firearms, and my expressed willingness to 'bag a bigfoot' with my 12ga shotgun and/or my .45 auto. He most certainly comprehends how bad an idea it would be to 'sneak up' on my residents and pretend to be 'bigfoot'.

There is nothing to be made in the way of a 'profit' by such actions... there's no money involved and I'm not seeking any publicity for this situation, so he doesn't stand to 'win' or 'gain' anything, not even notoriety.

For these reasons and more I am convinced that whatever came out of the forest, slammed the side of the trailer and roared wasn't 'human'. I don't know what it was, but I know what it WASN'T... it wasn't a guy playing a prank and it wasn't an 'investigator' looking for notoriety.

It's rained for the last two days straight, and the temperatures are dropping into the normal range for FALL... so I expect we might hear more from whateveritis. I'll keep y'all posted.

Leave a comment:

• battlefields
    replied
    Fun fact, when they discovered Australia they doubled the known flora in the world. We also house a colony of the world's first living organisms (photosynthesisers, I believe, you can see them in north WA).

Leave a comment:

• HereBeADragon
    replied
    Everything is bigger in Australia, haven't you seen the fosters commercials? Megalania is one of my favorites and considering the relatively recent extinction of it there could be a relic population but I also wonder how many creature we have killed off without even knowing they existed.

As for bigfoot I have followed research on the subject for about 15 years or so and its a confounding situation. On the one hand there are many sightings and in fact they appear to be on the rise, there has been so much observed to be able to speculate on family unit structure, eating habits and behavior patterns. On the other in 200 years of reports no one has bagged the ultimate big game trophy.

Leave a comment:

• Styygens
    replied
    Also, look into the Thylacine (I think that's its proper name, anyway, the Tasmanian Tiger), there have been sightings in the past ten or so years. Thought to be extinct since early 1900's.
    I'd heard there was a good chance the Thylacine/Tasmanian Tiger might still be around. That would be cool.

But it's still not in the same class as a gi-normous lizard as big as a school bus!

Leave a comment:

• battlefields
    replied
    Anything in Australia would be hard to track due to the vastness and desolate terrain. If the Aboriginal elders or trackers knew anything about it, they wouldn't tell the white man considering what we've done to the land.

I love the idea of giant lizards, it makes me think that mythological dragons might have been the exaggerated stories of endangered lizard species.

If I find the Megalania, I'll let you know. By way of being the most famous Australian fucking ever.

Also, look into the Thylacine (I think that's its proper name, anyway, the Tasmanian Tiger), there have been sightings in the past ten or so years. Thought to be extinct since early 1900's.

Leave a comment:

• Styygens
    replied
    Battlefields;

Anyone in Austraila have luck tracking down a live Megalania?

Although I am skeptical by nature, I have a soft spot for thinking the world is a bit more mysterious than we like to think. I'd love for someone to plunk down evidence of some monstrous cryptid.

But I learned to live with disappointment when I visited Loch Ness twice and saw nary a ripple... I loved Monsterquest, but mostly because it was modern folklore and it's cool to hear the stories.

Leave a comment:

• battlefields
    replied
    I want bigfoot to be real and thus my opinions about it being possible are always tilted to the positive:

1. Many sightings throughout history.
    2. Unexplored habitats.
    3. Reports say intelligent.

These things suggest to me that it is possible because they could equal a species with sentient knowledge of man and man's predatorial nature, thus they avoid us as much as possible.

I see it like the Blue Mountains panther (Sydney), many sightings, many grainy photos, some evidence of a bigger cat hunting and a few really creepy encounters by friends (including: my fiancee lived on a rural property and reckons she and her brother were outside at night when they heard growling and saw it in a tree within 10 or so metres before it slinked into the night). The fact that a cat, in a couple of generations feral, can grow to a very large size gives credence to the theory. Also that in our youth as a country we were not, shall we say, careful with our foreign fauna introductions. Once again, I want it to be real, so my opinion will be skewed.

BlacksmithSEAL, just a quick question, do you think it is at all possible that this BDRO guy was trying to drum up business? As in, he made a random noise, rocked up to your house, banged the trailer, ran off and then said, "yeah, I was afraid that would happen, because I challenged him, you know". Not skepticism, just deduction.

Leave a comment:

• Styygens
    replied
    If nothing else, this is a very suspenseful story and I'm really interested now.

Whatever is going on, I sincerely hope BlacksmithSEAL and his family are all healthy at the conclusion.

I also find it a little ironic that Bullshido seems closer to proving the existence of Bigfoot at this moment than proving the existence of an extant ninjutsu ryu!

Leave a comment:

• BlacksmithSEAL
    replied
    The BFRO investigator lives over an hour's drive distant, and the smack/roar incident took place aroudn 10:30pm. When we walked up out of the forest, we ended up coming out of the trees right behind the trailer, and we walked right past the end that got smacked on our way to where he'd parked his vehicle. My wife and I live in a large-ish house only 150 ft distant, but it's extremely well insulated; even the windows have double panes with argon gas between to act as heat/cool insultation. We were only 150 ft from the smack/roar and didn't hear a thing... but the heater was running in the house that night and it's noisy. I feel like I let a family member down by not being aware of a real threat to her safety and security. We're thinking about trying to put together the funds for a CCTV security system that can see in the dark (IR not thermal). Meanwhile I'm absolutely committed to never having another such threat demonstration performed without me making some sort of a response... a very forceful one!

Leave a comment:

• helmutlvx
    replied
    Originally posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Yet elephants do it, because they're complex animals who mourn the dead and have been seen carrying their dead for great distances. Not that I believe in bigfoot etc, I just though I'd throw that in.
    I didn't know that. And I will impress someone with that fact in the future.

Hot damn, Blacksmith. That sounds like some real shit you got going on there. I can only hope that Bigfoot investigator didn't smack your relative's house to get you to pay for more of his "investigation".

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X