No announcement yet.

Yeti/Sasquatch/Bigfoot/Apeman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Blacksmith but if you look at your GIF you can see substantial movement of the trees behind the "creature". Actually to me if you look at the first pic you can see what appears to be a smaller black head with orange eyes. Which is just the bush but it does have that shape.

Plus notice the black aura around the "head" defiantly shadow from movement of the bush. Plus what caused the camera to shoot the pic 6 min before? Did the "creature" know the camera was there and darted from out of frame to get behind the tree then peeked out to look at the camera? Hardly the actions of an animal and as you said it would be a weird behave for a mountain lion let alone a primate unless you was standing behind the camera.

Every photo trap picture will have a series of deer or squirrels in plain sight but a "creature" is always fuzzy and just off camera or some other weird excuse. I recall the tube or rod creature thing people would get in their pictures. They had all kinds of speculation and even went out and got pictures of them. It turned out to be bugs that where moving across the shot and due to the rate of speed and exposure rate left a trail on film.

Sorry I am not going to buy that brand of kool aid.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Comment

Your choice... to accept or not as offered. I'm not selling anything, just posing questions. You can speculate all you want about bushes and shadows and leaves, but until you actually walk the ground and see what's available to make such images, it's all just speculation from a long distance on your part.

The camera has a passive IR sensor, detecting changes in ambient background temperatures. It can be set for ONE, TWO, or THREE pictures per each "trigger" or "event"... and then it goes to "sleep" for one minute before waking up to look for more. At the time the photos were taken I had it set for ONE picture per event because I was unfamiliar with the camera.

When we discovered that we'd captured the image while reviewing pictures in April, we reset the camera to take TWO pictures per trigger event. We do, indeed, have many photographs of rabbits, squirrels, and birds.

As to what triggered the original two pictures ??? I cannot say for certain about the first one. I suspect the animal approached from directly behind the tree and may have "flashed" an elbow or something to trigger the change in ambient temperature. It managed to NOT capture anything but the movement of the sapling behind the big tree... but it's a damned stiff sapling and I have trouble moving myself by hand (and I weigh 230lbs). The creature was interacting with the sapling... as shown by the difference between the two pics. The second picture was triggered by the creature stepping into view to look at the camera. My home is "back over the right shoulder of the camera". The creature is not looking at my house... it's looking directly at the camera.

You believe or don't believe as you see fit.

Here is a photo analysis of the picture with the creature standing beside the tree. Using Corel PhotoPaint 8, I selected FIND EDGES and this is what I got. The contour of the creature is clearly evident, which shows that it's not just a trick of light and shadow, or combination of leaves and sticks. Surprisingly it also found the outline of the "ear" though it was hard to see with the eyes. The software uses an algorithm which I have no control over - what you see is what it found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stabilized Picture EDGE ENHANCED BW.JPG
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	4325143

Once again, this is blurry because it is an enlargement of a shot taken at 72dpi resolution. Look back at the original pictures (which are focused fairly well for a wide camera field shot) and see the whole shot. The creature isn't where I expected something to show. I thought an animal might come through the opening in the middle... that's why the coffee tub is there. I learned a long time ago to put something into the picture area which has known dimensions... so you can figure out how large other items are at a later time.

Like I said, I'm not selling anything... you believe or not as you wish. It's all the same to me. If I get a clear shot, I plan on bagging the thing you don't believe in. I'm not looking for fame or notariety... just don't like it snooping around behind my house.
      Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
      USN 1970-1978
      SEAL Team ONE
      Inshore Undersea Warfare Group ONE
      -UDT-SEAL Association - Member
      -POW Network Board of Directors
      -Naval Special Warfare Archives - SOF Analyst/Contributing Journalist
      -Disabled American Veterans - Life Member
      -FORMER Special Investigator - SEAL Authentication Team
      -CyberSEALs.org - Webmaster
      -Author - NO GUTS, NO GLORY - Unmasking Navy SEAL Imposters

Comment

Originally posted by BlacksmithSEAL View Post
        Here is a photo analysis of the picture with the creature standing beside the tree. Using Corel PhotoPaint 8, I selected FIND EDGES and this is what I got. The contour of the creature is clearly evident, which shows that it's not just a trick of light and shadow, or combination of leaves and sticks. Surprisingly it also found the outline of the "ear" though it was hard to see with the eyes. The software uses an algorithm which I have no control over - what you see is what it found.

Like I said, I'm not selling anything... you believe or not as you wish. It's all the same to me. If I get a clear shot, I plan on bagging the thing you don't believe in. I'm not looking for fame or notariety... just don't like it snooping around behind my house.
        The FIND EDGES tool as I understand it creates lines in areas where there is direct contrast in lightness. It doesn't really prove anything because you'll get the effect with anything that has two things light contrasting that are adjacent to one another. In other words, it can still very well be "just a trick of light and shadow, or combination of leaves and sticks".

I find this quite interesting actually. I don't agree with your conclusions as to the nature of the thing in the picture at this point, as the photographic evidence and your description of the situation are still too vague to suggest anything conclusive other than there was something there that wasn't there before.

I didn't get an answer before, so may I ask again if you have had an expert listen to the howling audio you've collected? If not, do so. And when I mean an expert, I mean someone who isn't a sasquatcholist, demonologist, or medicine man.

Keep pursuing this!

Comment

Duck... sorry if I missed your question. I've had several folks listen to it, including Animal Control officials, local hunters, friends who have hunting experience in other areas of the country, and several SEAL Teammates who have spent a lot of time "in the woods" (very "wild" woods, both here in the US, and in other parts of the world). All of them have come to the conclusion that it cannot be conclusively identified, although one man who is a Louisiana native (retired Army SF Major who does a LOT of hunting) says that it initially sounded like a coon hound... but after listening further he decided it wasn't... he said a coon hound's voice would rise and fall, unlike the recordings I've played for him. I'm hoping he'll come for a visit and help me figure out what it is.

I've not had any interactions with demonologists or medicine men, and I'm not sure what they have to do with this matter.

[edit: I might note that the FIND EDGES function does not rely upon direct contrasts in lighting, but appears to involve significant variations in color as well. You will note that the "other face" which some folks see behind the "creature" does not show up on the FIND EDGES version, but the contour of the creature's body, its muzzle, and its arm are all clearly "found". Again... I'm not selling anything, just using the tools I have available to try to discover what's watching my house and howling in the forest.]
          Last edited by BlacksmithSEAL; 2/23/2010 2:42pm, .
          Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
          USN 1970-1978
          SEAL Team ONE

Comment

Duck... sorry if I missed your question. I've had several folks listen to it, including Animal Control officials, local hunters, friends who have hunting experience in other areas of the country, and several SEAL Teammates who have spent a lot of time "in the woods" (very "wild" woods, both here in the US, and in other parts of the world). All of them have come to the conclusion that it cannot be conclusively identified, although one man who is a Louisiana native (retired Army SF Major who does a LOT of hunting) says that it initially sounded like a coon hound... but after listening further he decided it wasn't... he said a coon hound's voice would rise and fall, unlike the recordings I've played for him. I'm hoping he'll come for a visit and help me figure out what it is.
            Very interesting. Thanks for the reply.

I've not had any interactions with demonologists or medicine men, and I'm not sure what they have to do with this matter.
            Good!

[edit: I might note that the FIND EDGES function does not rely upon direct contrasts in lighting, but appears to involve significant variations in color as well. You will note that the "other face" which some folks see behind the "creature" does not show up on the FIND EDGES version, but the contour of the creature's body, its muzzle, and its arm are all clearly "found". Again... I'm not selling anything, just using the tools I have available to try to discover what's watching my house and howling in the forest.]
            I see what you mean, but I'm still not sure I am convinced that it is some face and arm of a monkeylike creature.

Cool stuff!

Comment

Yeah... cool stuff, until you hear that howling close behind the houe in the middle of the night, and the "dog alarm" is going off like mad! I've gotten to the door with a handheld spotlight fast enough to hear brush and leaves cracking and crunching in the forest, but always in the tangle, and just out of visual range.

We've gotten some of the recorded calls together on an audio CD and are hoping to do some "call blasting"... play them back with speakers pointed at the forest (and my rifle loaded and ready), sort of like playing a coyote call. We're hoping that whatever it is, it will be curious enough about hearing a similar voice to come closer and see what's going on. I just wish I could afford a thermal imaging device... but the dang things cost in excess of $8K !!
              Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
              USN 1970-1978
              SEAL Team ONE

Comment

You can speculate all you want about bushes and shadows and leaves, but until you actually walk the ground and see what's available to make such images, it's all just speculation from a long distance on your part.
                To be fair, one could make the same claim regarding your own statements.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Miracleman View Post
                  To be fair, one could make the same claim regarding your own statements.
                  Kid... erm... you are correct to a point. As with others here, it was all speculation on my part until I did as I indicated, and WALKED THE GROUND outside my back door. I physically visited the spot where the camera event occurred. I was able to see all of the bushes, trees, and shrubs in perspective (unlike the photograph), walk around to see the physical relationships, the positioning of different objects... see what WAS and WAS NOT shadow or brush or miscellaneous combination of elements.

Like I said... "until you have walked the ground... it's all speculation".

I'm still speculating on many aspects of this puzzle, such as whether the "howler" is the creature in the picture, and what activities it and the other "howlers" might be engaged in. But I have walked that ground - 50 feet from my back door - and I DO know what things were lumps and clumps of leaves and what things were just shadows.

Like I said... "until you have walked the ground..."
                  Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
                  USN 1970-1978
                  SEAL Team ONE

Comment

I just think that you're spending an awful lot of time trying to prove that the hazy, blurry region of your photo is an unidentified creature that may or may not be an out-of-the-ordinary creature that may or may not be a Sasquatch. Judging from the content of your posts, I think you have a LOT invested in this... I think you may have already come to the conclusion that your picture depicts an unusual Bigfoot-like creature without considering all the other possibilities first, and are now presenting your data/evidence in a way that fits your preconceived view.

I'm still speculating on many aspects of this puzzle, such as whether the "howler" is the creature in the picture
                    This is an example of what I'm talking about. You're making this statement under the assumption that the area in the photo is, in fact, a creature of some sort. As I stated in a previous post, I would never have considered it to be anything but shrubs/brush/grass/branches/shadows had you not told us what you believed. When you "walked the ground" after the fact, did you do so at the same time of day and under the same lighting conditions as the photo? I think it's certainly possible that what you see in the photo is a trick of the light and shadows brought about by, say, changing cloud conditions.

The thing in the picture very well could be a strange animal, but I think you really need to take a step back and look at your own evidence with a more critical eye and take the time to consider the criticisms/observations of others instead of dismissing them outright.

Comment

Thank you for you observations and suggestions.
                      Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
                      USN 1970-1978
                      SEAL Team ONE

Comment

If an unknown had posted this, I would probably list fraud as one of the possibilities. Given who you are and your attitude towards frauds on this site, I am prepared to eliminate that as a believable hypothesis.

The first thought that I had was that it was just a trick of the light. Given that you state that the area is close to your home, I would think that you would have noticed if a clump of vegetation resembled an animal under certain conditions. I am prepared to say that this theory sounds unlikely.

The second thought that I had was that it loked like a large, shaggy dog. If it's muzzle was seen from front on, that woud have the effect of "flattening" the face. Your friend said that the sounds resembled that of a "coon hound". Perhaps you are dealing with a large, feral crossbreed? Feral animals can reach extraodinary sizes in just a few generations. A cougar is another posibility, though that does not explain the sounds you have heard. The sounds are not, however, necessarily made by the creature photographed.

The other possibility is that you are dealing with an escaped primate of some kind. There is just not enough evidence at this stage to say.

I will, however, state that I do not believe it to be a sasquatch. I have already listed some general objections that I have to this creature's possible existence earlier in the thread, but I will add that in this case:

1) The creature appears to be too small, and too light-coloured, to fit the generally accepted description of "bigfoot".

2) If sasquatch were accustomed to approach human habitaton closely, then someone (like you) would have shot one by now. The whole argument as to why a sasquatch carcass has never been brought in is predicated on the assumption that they actively avoid homo sapiens.

To summarise, I think that you have something in your woods but I do not know what it is. I know what it isn't though. Bigfoot.

Comment

Niko... first let me thank you for your expressed confidence in my credibility. I have spent a lifetime engaged in honorable conduct and honest expression, and it means a great deal to me when someone I do not personally know offers words such as your which recognize those traits. Thank you.

As you say, this is smaller and lighter than the "normally observed" physical traits associated with "bigfoot" sightings. I don't personally consider the idea of "bigfoot" to be one which is invalid, but that may or may not be of consideration in this situation. I would point out that the rumored "Yeti" would seem to be a high-snowy-mountain-dwelling version of the "bigfoot" of North America... and that "Yeti" is almost always reported as having white or light gray fur. This would be a normal adaptation (like the white fur of the snow leopard) to the environment. Thus fur coloration is not likely to be an absolute disqualifier in any given case.

In this instance the size as well as the facial features and the body posture are of primary consideration. There is nothing for the creature to stand on which would boost height. Using my own photo as comparison (myself standing on the same spot as the creature) there is approx 32-36 inches of my legs which cannot be seen due to the intervening dirt pile. I must presume that those same 32-36 inches can be added to the physique of the creature in the photo. I cannot presume what the configuration of those legs might be... i.e. whether the animal is a normal upright walker, or only an occasional upright walker.

Numerous individuals have suggested that this might actually be a JUVENILE individual of a large species, and that both coloration and physique might change as an individual ages (like fawn losing its spots as it matures, etc)... like many human kids who are born with lighter hair which darkens as they grow older.

It might be an escaped primate. I seems unlikely that it is a dog or cat (wild or domestic variety) as it is pictured stand erect with a height of 4ft 6inches while flat footed. That's too tall for either species except for maybe a lion/tiger crossbreed ("liger"). It might be a juvenile; dunno. There is no way to say with assurance that the creature is either fully mature or still growing.

Again... I make no claims as to WHAT it is... I just know what experienced professionals have said it is NOT - and I really want to know whattahell it is.
                          Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
                          USN 1970-1978
                          SEAL Team ONE

Comment

Just lurking as per usual and saw yur pics nad heard the sounds. First thing that came to my mind was a bobcat. Long legs, intersting face and can make a variety of eery sounds. I have heard them at night when deep in the bush and thought that if the sound was distant and distorted it could sound similar to what I heard on your sample.

Anyway- its all just conjecture till the proof rolls in.

http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/sound...-cat_wav.shtml

Comment

In here ( Indonesia ) there are some myth creature that look like bigfoot but they are small around 50-150 cm, people call it "orang pendek", got fur around all his body and black, I never saw it, but many story told about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orang_Pendek
                              Last edited by tataksarella; 3/01/2010 11:33am, .

Comment

Bamboo... we thought it looks a bit like a bobcat or puma, too... until we broke out the tape measure and learned that it would have to be 4.5 ft tall standing flat-footed. That about writes off anything but the largest old-world cats.

Tat... I'd forgotten about orang pendek, although I recall seeing a TV show about it several years ago. As I recall there were stories about it hunting in groups, and occasionally kidnapping women or children. I might have to do some poking around online to see if there are any pictures, drawings, or possible audio recordings. Thanks.
                                Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
                                USN 1970-1978
                                SEAL Team ONE

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X