Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GajusCaesar
    replied
    Well, I can live with that. I would trust any review by DRD.

Leave a comment:

• WingChun Lawyer
    replied
    Originally posted by GajusCaesar

Are you guys sure calling Bullshido on this is premature? However, since I am not yet omniscient, I must concede that there is a chance approximately equal to that of a strict TKD stylist winning the next UFC with only TKD techniques, that this "Shredder" actually lives up to all of the above outrageous claims.
    They do make some wild claims on that site. Stills, there is this:

Suffice it to say that it is not an ultimate fighting technique nor is it the end all and be all, not at all. It's nothing more than a close quarter concept which has worked time and again in (if I may quote Matt Thornton here) 'Alive' no consent scenarios, sparring & violent confrontations. It may not be for everyone, I understand so what I tell people is simple, if you like it, use it. If you don't, then at least you gave it a shot and realized it isn't something you wish to make a part of your arsenal. No worries.

Leave a comment:

• MuayThaiBri67
    replied
    I always thought Shedder was the evil guy from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Leave a comment:

• GajusCaesar
    replied
    Originally posted by Nihilanthic
    Hey... lucky sidekick KO.

Or pull a belfort *shrug*
    What are you talking about?

Leave a comment:

• Nihilanthic
    replied
    Hey... lucky sidekick KO.

Or pull a belfort *shrug*

Leave a comment:

• GajusCaesar
    replied
    So let's see, according to my above post (FROM THE SENSHIDO WEBSITE), the Shredder:

1. Guarantees landing ALL your strikes.

2. Is Senshido's primary offensive arsenal and has been used successfully every single time both in real life altercations and scenario replications.

3. Allows you to take on and beat MULTIPLE ARMED ATTACKERS!

Are you guys sure calling Bullshido on this is premature? However, since I am not yet omniscient, I must concede that there is a chance approximately equal to that of a strict TKD stylist winning the next UFC with only TKD techniques, that this "Shredder" actually lives up to all of the above outrageous claims.

Leave a comment:

• GajusCaesar
    replied
    Originally posted by WingChun Lawyer
    Did you actually read the site WCL? How about these straight from http://www.senshido.com/swwd2_1.html and http://www.senshido.com/swwd2_2.html ?

"The Shredder also bypasses your opponent's reflexive response and flinch mechanism due to the repetitive, on the quarter beat, onslaught. This guarantees landing every single one of your strikes. It also offers maximum tactile sensitivity and can be applied anytime providing (in some instances) that strategic implementations are applied from the pre contact stage. The Shredder is a primary tool and tactic for any close quarter / grappling / ground fighting situations.

The Shredder is Senshido's primary offensive arsenal and has been used successfully every single time both in real life altercations and scenario replications.

Q. Has the Shredder been tested, has it ever been used in real fights or violent confrontations?

A. The Shredder has yet to fail in real fights. It has been successfully used several times by several of Richard Dimitri's students who work as bouncers/doormen, security personnel and potential victims of violence which was thwarted by the Shredder. The ease in which they subdued their attackers literally surprised them. Richard has also used the Shredder in real fights on several occasions including a multiple armed attacker situation, actually, if it wasn't for the Shredder, Richard wouldn't be alive today. The Shredder has also worked in full out mock attacks, full out sparring matches and in 'Alive' no consent, full resistance combat without fail. Even in simulation, the Shredder's nature is devastating due to its invasive nature and psychological disruption."

If that doesn't sound like teh deadly holy grail of self defense claim, I don't know what does!

Leave a comment:

• Rogue
    replied
    What's the Shredder?
    A. The Shredder is neither a technique nor style of fighting, it is a close quarter conceptual tool that was designed to shift the predatory/prey instinct and bypass the startle to flinch mechanism enabling any person (any size or strength) to successfully defend themselves without any prior training. It is not a set of moves or techniques but rather a spontaneous assault of gross motor tools that are launched on a quarter beat, attacking vital areas making it impossible for the 'opponent' to intercept or stop once properly launched. The Shredder is something people have been doing since the dawn of man when faced with threat of extreme violence as it is based on simple natural movements. The Shredder is a concept that is behaviorally and scientifically rooted.
    Impossible to stop? But not the end all. Has been in existence since the dawn of man? But it took Rich 9 years to develope something that's always been around. Scientifically rooted? My head hurts.

Why no one else has thought of it is because it is so simple and because it isn't 'martial artsy' even in a macho 'combative' sense. It requires minimal training, it isn't pretty and it isn't technical in nature. Martial artists in general have a hard time understanding that self defense isn't about technique or styles or systems, it's about survival. It doesn't matter how you do it as long as you do it.
    But of course since it's been around since the dawn of man someone did think of it.

I bet your ancestor was around when the wheel was invented.
    Maybe Bri, but according to Rich one of them was around when the Shredder was invented.

Pseudo science, talk of prophets, natural simple techniques that can't be shown, lots use of the work "concept", lots of believers that say it's the ultimate but never say what it is, For $75 I'm really tempted to pick it up.
    Last edited by Rogue; 2/09/2004 7:59pm, .

Leave a comment:

• The Wastrel
    replied
    I read that you were the 230lb guy. Frankly, anything that claims that fifteen minutes of instruction will allow someone to take apart experienced fighters who outweigh him by seventy pounds is starting off in my book with a bit of a credibility gap.

Anyway, sorry for trying to help.

WingChunLawyer,
    I didn't say it was his fault. In fact, the only people I explicitly criticized were those who were on the opposite side.

I just reread the thread and the review, and I can still find no explicit information about what the Shredder actually is. Just a lot of assertions about how special and unique it is.

I'm curious, and unwilling to buy a video. Call me crazy.

Leave a comment:

• Bri Thai
    replied
    Wastrel - to clarify, I am the 230lb police officer, not the 160lb guy..,,, I don't know if that makes any difference. I ain't lying, but hwo do you know?

DRD - get yourself the tape and see what you think. You don't have to hold me to my word thanks. I hold myself to it.

WCL - thanks for the voice of reason.

OK folks. All I did was post a review of a seminar. We haven't yet seen one credible piece of reliable evidence against the Shredder. Only criticisms of what people imagine it to be. DRD, enjoy the tape. If you like it or not, please let me know on [email protected]

OK guys, this is my last word on it for now. A friend has asked me to consider bowing out of this "debate". I will, of course, make myself available for any crowing if DRD thinks it appalling.

There are seminars in NYC and Toronto this coming March. Richard has a way of making people feel very welcome.

Fond regards, Brian S
    Last edited by Bri Thai; 2/09/2004 11:14am, .

Leave a comment:

• WingChun Lawyer
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wastrel
    Bri,
    Can't you be a little more forthcoming about what this actually is? So far the debate seems to precede like this:

See what I'm getting at? This is an entirely stupid argument.

Leave a comment:

• The Wastrel
    replied
    So Wastrel, hows that? Are you going put up or shut up?
    Bri Thai,
    Whoa there! What's going on here? I was just trying to point out that you had two groups of people arguing with each other without establishing the actual character of the thing in question.

Come on now. I have had like three posts on this topic. One was, "Cool it." The other was pointing out that your case was being misrepresented. The last one was pointing out that this had turned into a pointless back-and-forth.

Wing Chun Lawyer,
    I haven't called anything Bullshido. If you read that post carefully you will notice that there is really nothing insulting about it, it's just a conversation where two people are arguing about something that is not being discussed. Like this one.

Now, can we cool down? I for one don't trust reviews from people when I can't verify their third-party status somehow. Unfortunately, I live on the west coast, so I can't come down to the Senshido school or any of the seminars. Though I would be perfectly willing to do so.

I anticipate that I am likely to find something that lies somewhere between the claims that Dimitri makes, and the anticipatory criticisms here.

But Bri, this is the kind of thing that is simply not credible:

How about a 160lb Trad Karate guy being taught it and, within hours, taking down a 230lb vastly experienced martial artist and police officer (me)?

Leave a comment:

• Prone
    replied
    "One of my favorite Realists, I highly recommend Senshido." GEOFF THOMPSON

That's from the shopping site. I don't know whether some of you know that guy but if he says that you should take a look at it then there's a little evidence on how the systen is realistic. I've read some books by Thompson and he's no phoney.

Anyway, why I usually doubt systems that teach an ultimate tool is the price to even see it in action.

Leave a comment:

• WingChun Lawyer
    replied
    Thanks DRD. I think I will decline the video, as I live waaay south from your place, but I appreciate the offer.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    WingChun Lawyer;

Put Scars in the search engine and check the look only in title option, or search under Fighter as the poster and the date of May,19,03. My comments are on pages 11 and 12.

Editorial comment: When reading the comments, bear in mind that KJM turned out to be a 14 year old boy using his fathers computer, and of course Kungfoolss is a man "we think" making put down and bragging comments, while in deep hiding in Hawaii. He will say you can find him doing his destruction in a park with some deadly opponant friend, but will not stand behind his claims in person.

Also, if you are interested when you finish your research, you are welcome to borrow the 20 something video's from me when Jamoke and perhaps one other person gets done with them. Just let me know.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X