Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ripleys Believe It or Not! A Qigong (chi kung) Master Emits Heat From Hand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripleys Believe It or Not! A Qigong (chi kung) Master Emits Heat From Hand.

So I just saw this repeat on tv no more than a few minutes ago:

YouTube- Ripleys Believe It or Not! A Qigong (chi kung) Master Emits Heat From Hand at Over 200 degrees

According to the show, he can emit heat up to 202 degrees Fahrenheit by using a paper towel, aluminum foil, and his chi gung energy which he emits through them. Also, he can walk on paper stretched out so if someone else would walk on it, they would rip through, but he can using his powers, while wearing a cape to boot!

Now I for one do not buy into it, but I was wondering what everyone else thought of his display. If anyone can direct me to any debunking done on this particular video, that would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

ZoA.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    — Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    — Greek proverb

Originally posted by Nicko1
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Biofeedback experiments have proved successful in the past, and it's not like you can fake out an infrared camera.

Chi is "real" in the sense that you can do stuff like make your hands really hot or whatever, but it's not gonna control people like puppets or push them over with your brain.
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Comment

Originally posted by Conde Koma View Post
      Biofeedback experiments have proved successful in the past, and it's not like you can fake out an infrared camera.

Chi is "real" in the sense that you can do stuff like make your hands really hot or whatever, but it's not gonna control people like puppets or push them over with your brain.

So are you saying that chi in the sense of the body emitting heat is plausible? It just seems silly to make the claim that your chi is just your body heat applied to massage therapy. Then again, it could just be a marketing ploy.
      Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
      — Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
      — Greek proverb

Originally posted by Nicko1
      Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Comment

Perhaps there is lime on the paper towel and aluminum?

http://www.armedforces-int.com/suppl...ion-packs.html
        However, this FRH emitted an unpleasant smell when activated, so in 2004 Canland designed its own flameless heater which is produced strictly to Canland's specification. This FRH contains a mixture of lime and aluminium which is clean and virtually odourless when activated with water.
        I'll believe the paperwalking trick if he can stand on a scale and lighten his recorded weight for a few seconds.

Comment

Chi is a really ambiguous term, and really difficult to translate in the first place. People have been doing demonstrations of chi for generations using tricks like these. Some are based on deception (like the no-touch throws, etc.), others based on enhanced normal skills (breaking bricks and stuff), while still others are based on using skills physically real, but unorthodox to most people. This includes people standing on eggshells and creating heat.

Grab a thermometer and just hold it while looking at the reading. After it stabilizes, focus your brain on making your hand hotter. Do that every day for long enough, and you too will have mastered chi.
          Fight Film Friday
          Watching violence on film, violently.
          Click here to donate!

Comment

It's really simple for me. If he can do it in a controlled experiment overseen by James Randi, I'll buy it.

Comment

David Blaine is WAY better than this guy.
              And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Comment

Originally posted by ZenOfChristmasPast View Post
                So I just saw this repeat on tv no more than a few minutes ago:

YouTube- Ripleys Believe It or Not! A Qigong (chi kung) Master Emits Heat From Hand at Over 200 degrees

According to the show, he can emit heat up to 202 degrees Fahrenheit by using a paper towel, aluminum foil, and his chi gung energy which he emits through them. Also, he can walk on paper stretched out so if someone else would walk on it, they would rip through, but he can using his powers, while wearing a cape to boot!

Now I for one do not buy into it, but I was wondering what everyone else thought of his display. If anyone can direct me to any debunking done on this particular video, that would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

ZoA.
                I don't know if this is real or not, but national geographic have already shown that a kung fu fighter spending hundreds of hours cultivating his chi still doesn't punch nearly has hard as a simple boxer using simple body leverage mechanics. So true or not, the outcome is if you want to spend hours practicing something that will allow you to heat up your hands a bit. :icon_quee

Comment

I can emit heat from my ass.

Spoiler:
                  The heat does not come from his hands, but from the towel and the foil. It's probably due to some chemical reaction, as someone suggested earlier.

Comment

...and will you consume the English with it?
                    SEANBABY:
                    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. It’s the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Comment

Originally posted by St. Ordnance View Post
                      David Blaine is WAY better than this guy.
                      Especially when he almost drowned
                      :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Comment

Well I dont know for sure if he's a fake or not and would like to see him do it under controlled circumstances.

Just one thing came to mind though. The towels etc could be chemically treated 'flash paper' sprung to mind. Exothermal reaction kicked off by friction.

From my own experience of chigong it is not that abonormal to get increased sensations of heat in the palms of the hands. i started getting this but when I asked somebody else if my hands were burning hot I was told that they werent, even tho' to me they felt like they were on fire! Not a controlled test I know but its definitly a phenomena that many chigong practishoners have.

Comment

I've seen this one before, good show.
                          Honestly I always thought this was mind over matter thing. Just a "trick" you could do if you concentrated hard enough.

Comment

For what it's worth, Gtum-Mo (Tibetan yoga) practitioners have been known to have the ability to raise body temperature, although not to extremes. It was useful to them for meditating in cold climates, no more, no less.

http://www.cognitionandculture.net/i...rian&Itemid=34

same article in the Harvard Gazette
                            http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/.../09-tummo.html

and

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal.../295234a0.html

and my least favorite source:
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tummo
                            =================
                            Kama Sutra blue belt.

Originally posted by Emevas
                            I used to fuck guys like you in prison.
                            Originally posted by Rock Ape
                            Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Comment

Originally posted by Da Pope View Post
                              Just one thing came to mind though. The towels etc could be chemically treated 'flash paper' sprung to mind. Exothermal reaction kicked off by friction.
                              ...or Lime, which reacts with aluminum to give off heat in the range measured. It produces little/no smell...

*Gets the feeling no one read his earlier post*

[Emo] Noone listens to me! You just don't understand!!! [/emo]

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X