X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father Dagon
    replied
    Originally posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    This entire H1N1 influenza outbreak has moved me up to Orange on my "Red Dawn Totalarian Takeover Scale".
    No kidding! The egyptians took the opportunity to slaughter pigs in egypt - everything that's bad for the kopts is good for Egypt, you know.

This global hysterical attention to body politics reminds me of the aids scare of the 80's and early 90's. The most ignoble moment of the swedish aids scare was when the "liberal" newspaper Dagens Nyheter had a photo of a man dead from [an] aids[-related disease] in a body bag on the front page. And this is where democracy fails. I'm not questioining the procedure. It was a fairly new blood disease and there's plenty of other lethal blood diseases. But the general public doesn't have to see a body bag with that horrible black-and-yellow warning tape wrapped around it as if it was some kind of biological warhead.

Anyway, the articles in Dagens Nyheter contributed to the infamous bastuklubbslagen (the gay sauna law) of 1987 that was abolished in 2004. So if gay saunas are outlawed, only outlaws will run gay saunas. Yeah, everyone has a personal responsibility and all that jazz, but when they were driven [even more] underground, that meant that it was harder to impede the spread of hiv by handing out condoms etc.

Way to go, police inspector Hans Strindlund! Unintended consequences much?

However, I know that the state has a great deal to say about the health of the citizens. The quarantine was invented in Venice. But the way of protecting the general health is never fixed, but has to be continually reviewed and questioned.
    Last edited by Father Dagon; 10/08/2009 4:41am, . Reason: "the"

Leave a comment:

• meataxe
    replied
    I was in Beijing when the swine flu story broke. Of course as a foreigner, I stood out even though I arrived well before the outbreak. I noticed one old lady who edged along the side of the sidewalk to put as much distance as possible between us.

I even got checked for it a couple of times because I had to go to the hospital for another problem.

Leave a comment:

• DarkAardvark
    replied
    Originally posted by FictionPimp View Post
    I'm not a conspiracy nut, but read this http://bit.ly/owOXW then combine it with this http://bit.ly/2AQajw
    haha thats hilarious. silly media

Leave a comment:

• FictionPimp
    replied
    I'm not a conspiracy nut, but read this http://bit.ly/owOXW then combine it with this http://bit.ly/2AQajw

Leave a comment:

• DarkAardvark
    replied
    i think the media is overhyping it a lot. the only real concern that i have with it is that it adapts / mutates so quickly whereas the normal flu mutates fairly slowly by comparison.

Originally posted by arnols View Post
    harhar so stupid. wheres the detailed testing on the vaccines themselves? d
    when i was at my internship at the VA in baltimore i got a flier to be a participant in the test study. $200 or something for a shot. i forget if they were doing the tests in the VA or in the university of maryland side (they work pretty much in unison with eachother. theres a bridge that connects them together and most VA / maryland employees get badges for both the VA and maryland side)

i was thinking about participating because money is always nice, but im glad i didnt: the first test batch gave people mono =]

Leave a comment:

• isol8d
    replied
    it got me and my whole family. My kids beat it in under a week. It took me two weeks to shake it, with antibiotics and Tamiflu and it developed into asthmatic bronchitis in my wife.

That being said, it was pretty much like any other flu, aches, pains, fevers and sore throats. Rest and medicine did the trick.

Leave a comment:

• SharinganUser
    replied
    It was my understanding that H1N1 is missing some important amino acids that would make it a killer. But I am not an expert on this subject.

Leave a comment:

• spamurai13
    replied
    Also, the New England Journal of Medicine has a website dedicated to up to date literature and recommendations on the subject

http://h1n1.nejm.org/

finally, the CDC also has recommendations and attached literature regarding the virus

http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1FLU/

Leave a comment:

• spamurai13
    replied
    Originally posted by 1point2 View Post
    The possibly-totally-wrong statistic I heard was that while normal flu kills circa 30k people a year, this coming season we can expect 90k-120k dead due to swine flu and its variants.

What that means to me is that people at risk are more at risk, and people not at risk are in greater danger of being carriers.

Actually the surprising thing is that people traditionally NOT at risk are now MORE at risk (i.e. young lads and lassies are MORE at risk and older people are LESS at risk) heres the reason why:
    -the influenza virus aka "orthomyxoviridae" is the family of virus responsible for influenzas A and B. These also include the swine flu, avian flu, spanish flu.

-the flu virus is typed by an H and an N. H stands for hemagglutinin (a protein that enables the virus to bind to host cells) and N stands for neuramidase (a protein that enables the virus to enter the host cell).

-the seasonal virus as we're used to is of the variant H3N2. The numbers do not reflect any sort of virulence in of themselves, they are simply the type.
    -The reason why viruses can go from being endemic to pandemic or going from causing the sniffles to global panic is because of the genetic adaptations known as shift and drift. The seasonal (H3N2) virus usually undergoes a genetic DRIFT, which basically means that it alters a few amino acids in its genome and thus we need to get revaccinated so that our immune system mounts an appropriate response.

-a flu pandemic occurs when the virus decides to undergo a genetic SHIFT, i.e. its genome changes...a lot. As in the virus is no longer H3N2 with some bells and whistles it becomes H1N1, something that our immune system does not recognize at all

-the reason why the younger generation (born after lets say the 1950's) is because we have never had an outbreak of H1N1 until now. The population born before 1950 have had an outbreak of H1N1 (known as the Spanish flu). Therefore older people have some recognition of H1N1 and so have a lower mortality rate.

-the interesting thing is that these viruses despite having the same H and N can vary greatly in virulence and pathogenicity. The reason why these flus are sometimes given animal names like swine or avian is because they have a natural host in these animals. Likewise, humans and these animal hosts can infect each other and when a human variety infects a pig, the virus will undergo what is called genetic reassortment (cross overs and such) and that new variation will reinfect humans. The result could be a dead end (avian flu-despite it killing people did not take off quite as the swine flu now and thus did not become the pandemic that people feared)

-should you go ape shit and prepare for 28 days later? well here are a couple of things to keep in mind: the current therapy treating the flu, oseltamavir or "tamiflu" decreases the length and severity of swine flu if you get to a doctor within 48 hours of onset of symptoms. It is a droplet transmitted infection so just be wary of people who are sick. a general difference (at least clinically) between seasonal and H1N1 is that swine flu has gi symptoms like diarrhea.

-a vaccine should be available by the end of the month or by october. you should get a seasonal flu shot and see if your primary care doc has H1N1 vaccines as well. Of course, as many vaccines and antimicrobials that we have, the best course of action is always prevention, washing hands and covering coughing and sneezing is NOT susceptible to bacterial/viral resistance so do it...a lot

Leave a comment:

• PunchyMcFace
    replied
    I think it is a lot of media hype, combined with the fact that lots and lots of people die of flu every year, and this flu has a higher fatality rate.

Also, I've been really working to convince my friends to call hooking up with a fat chick "catching a case of swine flu," or some variation thereof. Can I get some help on that?

Leave a comment:

• arnols
    replied
    wow ok

Originally posted by Gasparzinho View Post
    Well the really weird thing is that in certain places (RI) they are passing legislation that will allow forced vaccinations. Those who refuse to take the vaccine can be placed in quarantine for an unspecified period of time. I am not saying that this is a conspiracy but the legislation is a bit scary when you think about it. Also it is not just for swine flu it is for any potential "pandemic" as defined by the WHO.
    harhar so stupid. wheres the detailed testing on the vaccines themselves? d

Leave a comment:

• cyrijl
    replied
    People who bring up 1918 also forget to talk about all of the lack of sanitation and other environmental factors which made the overall population more susceptible to the flu and to dying from it.

That said a local kid just died.

Leave a comment:

• Monkfg
    replied
    Someone wants to sell his vaccines...

Leave a comment:

• Gasparzinho
    replied
    Well the really weird thing is that in certain places (RI) they are passing legislation that will allow forced vaccinations. Those who refuse to take the vaccine can be placed in quarantine for an unspecified period of time. I am not saying that this is a conspiracy but the legislation is a bit scary when you think about it. Also it is not just for swine flu it is for any potential "pandemic" as defined by the WHO.

Leave a comment:

• turok
    replied
    Well, if you don't feel ok its best to check.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X