Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Swine Flu

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    The Swine Flu

    This entire H1N1 influenza outbreak has moved me up to Orange on my "Red Dawn Totalarian Takeover Scale".

    Now, I have no idea what the entire body of statistics on this disease is, but during the first outbreak in Louisiana, it made 33,000 people sick and killed 5 of them. To me, that would seem to indicate that you have a pretty low chance of shuffling off this mortal coil via this particular beg.

    But the way it's being hyped up and discussed on the newspapers and radios you'd think the 28 Days Later virus had been unleashed on we hapless sinners. And lately I've been hearing that FEMA is cooking up scenarios to put people infected with the virus in special "quarantine camps" to keep the population at large safe. Uh-oh.....

    So, am I being whipped into a fake frenzy by the vast right wing conspiracy underground or is there really something fishy going on here?

    #2
    its flu.. you won't die.. you mite start getting a weird snorting sound when you laugh though.. and an urge to roll in your own shit
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

    Comment


      #3
      You remember the avian flu, right? That big media scare that just kinda...died? I'm just waiting for the media folk to get bored, or for some governor/congressman to get caught with his pants down, and this too will die down.

      Comment


        #4
        I was in Mexico when this broke out. Face masks were everywhere. Upon arriving in the states, changing planes, and proceediing to Canada, I was asked once if I felt ill. I was handed a flyer about germ safety. Nothing more was done. The TV at the time was showing people getting temperatures taken and all sorts of hysteria. No one around me on any of my 3 flights was concerned. Media hype, that's all tihs is. As well as a chance for Failbama to try and grab some more cash to try and "fight the epidemic".

        Comment


          #5
          The possibly-totally-wrong statistic I heard was that while normal flu kills circa 30k people a year, this coming season we can expect 90k-120k dead due to swine flu and its variants.

          What that means to me is that people at risk are more at risk, and people not at risk are in greater danger of being carriers.
          What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

          Comment


            #6
            I think that the media is the problem here, but maybe not to the extent that we think.

            The problem with "pandemics" is that, especially with a viral infection it is so difficult to assess how the disease will spread and how it will affect different people. Swine Flu could (and I guess still could) be a big problem, as avian flu or SARS could have been.

            Due to the unpredictable nature of pandemics, it is up to authorities to put in contingency plans for what could be the worst case scenario. In fact doing anything else than that is negligent. These worst case reports make estimations on infections and casualties. This is what the media picks up on and then makes a scare story out of it.

            So really whilst what they are saying probably won't happen, to say that it definitely won't is inaccurate. Anyone heard of Spanish Flu? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Flu

            Comment


              #7
              The media overhypes anything that can be scary to the public. That being said, it is possible for a renegade strain of flu to kill millions of people.

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

              I believe that one of the troubling things with the pandemic of 1918 which is similar to the current swine flu scare (no I don't have a source for this, sorry) is the demographic of people that die from it. Normal influenza fatalities tend to be the elderly, infirm, or infants. Deadlier strains of flu cause more fatalities among healthy young adults.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
                This entire H1N1 influenza outbreak has moved me up to Orange on my "Red Dawn Totalarian Takeover Scale".

                Now, I have no idea what the entire body of statistics on this disease is, but during the first outbreak in Louisiana, it made 33,000 people sick and killed 5 of them. To me, that would seem to indicate that you have a pretty low chance of shuffling off this mortal coil via this particular beg.

                But the way it's being hyped up and discussed on the newspapers and radios you'd think the 28 Days Later virus had been unleashed on we hapless sinners. And lately I've been hearing that FEMA is cooking up scenarios to put people infected with the virus in special "quarantine camps" to keep the population at large safe. Uh-oh.....

                So, am I being whipped into a fake frenzy by the vast right wing conspiracy underground or is there really something fishy going on here?
                Say what? when you say the first outbreak - do you mean 1918? the current outbreak - for La is about 580 cases, and 3 dead. If you mean 1918 it was mostly in New Orleans, and about 800 people died from 14000 cases (case reporting poor - but infection was mostly centered around NO).

                Where are you getting your 33K, only 5 deaths from?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Well, if you don't feel ok its best to check.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Well the really weird thing is that in certain places (RI) they are passing legislation that will allow forced vaccinations. Those who refuse to take the vaccine can be placed in quarantine for an unspecified period of time. I am not saying that this is a conspiracy but the legislation is a bit scary when you think about it. Also it is not just for swine flu it is for any potential "pandemic" as defined by the WHO.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Someone wants to sell his vaccines...

                      Comment


                        #12
                        People who bring up 1918 also forget to talk about all of the lack of sanitation and other environmental factors which made the overall population more susceptible to the flu and to dying from it.

                        That said a local kid just died.
                        There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          wow ok

                          Originally posted by Gasparzinho View Post
                          Well the really weird thing is that in certain places (RI) they are passing legislation that will allow forced vaccinations. Those who refuse to take the vaccine can be placed in quarantine for an unspecified period of time. I am not saying that this is a conspiracy but the legislation is a bit scary when you think about it. Also it is not just for swine flu it is for any potential "pandemic" as defined by the WHO.
                          harhar so stupid. wheres the detailed testing on the vaccines themselves? d

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I think it is a lot of media hype, combined with the fact that lots and lots of people die of flu every year, and this flu has a higher fatality rate.

                            Also, I've been really working to convince my friends to call hooking up with a fat chick "catching a case of swine flu," or some variation thereof. Can I get some help on that?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by 1point2 View Post
                              The possibly-totally-wrong statistic I heard was that while normal flu kills circa 30k people a year, this coming season we can expect 90k-120k dead due to swine flu and its variants.

                              What that means to me is that people at risk are more at risk, and people not at risk are in greater danger of being carriers.

                              Actually the surprising thing is that people traditionally NOT at risk are now MORE at risk (i.e. young lads and lassies are MORE at risk and older people are LESS at risk) heres the reason why:
                              -the influenza virus aka "orthomyxoviridae" is the family of virus responsible for influenzas A and B. These also include the swine flu, avian flu, spanish flu.

                              -the flu virus is typed by an H and an N. H stands for hemagglutinin (a protein that enables the virus to bind to host cells) and N stands for neuramidase (a protein that enables the virus to enter the host cell).

                              -the seasonal virus as we're used to is of the variant H3N2. The numbers do not reflect any sort of virulence in of themselves, they are simply the type.
                              -The reason why viruses can go from being endemic to pandemic or going from causing the sniffles to global panic is because of the genetic adaptations known as shift and drift. The seasonal (H3N2) virus usually undergoes a genetic DRIFT, which basically means that it alters a few amino acids in its genome and thus we need to get revaccinated so that our immune system mounts an appropriate response.

                              -a flu pandemic occurs when the virus decides to undergo a genetic SHIFT, i.e. its genome changes...a lot. As in the virus is no longer H3N2 with some bells and whistles it becomes H1N1, something that our immune system does not recognize at all

                              -the reason why the younger generation (born after lets say the 1950's) is because we have never had an outbreak of H1N1 until now. The population born before 1950 have had an outbreak of H1N1 (known as the Spanish flu). Therefore older people have some recognition of H1N1 and so have a lower mortality rate.

                              -the interesting thing is that these viruses despite having the same H and N can vary greatly in virulence and pathogenicity. The reason why these flus are sometimes given animal names like swine or avian is because they have a natural host in these animals. Likewise, humans and these animal hosts can infect each other and when a human variety infects a pig, the virus will undergo what is called genetic reassortment (cross overs and such) and that new variation will reinfect humans. The result could be a dead end (avian flu-despite it killing people did not take off quite as the swine flu now and thus did not become the pandemic that people feared)

                              -should you go ape shit and prepare for 28 days later? well here are a couple of things to keep in mind: the current therapy treating the flu, oseltamavir or "tamiflu" decreases the length and severity of swine flu if you get to a doctor within 48 hours of onset of symptoms. It is a droplet transmitted infection so just be wary of people who are sick. a general difference (at least clinically) between seasonal and H1N1 is that swine flu has gi symptoms like diarrhea.

                              -a vaccine should be available by the end of the month or by october. you should get a seasonal flu shot and see if your primary care doc has H1N1 vaccines as well. Of course, as many vaccines and antimicrobials that we have, the best course of action is always prevention, washing hands and covering coughing and sneezing is NOT susceptible to bacterial/viral resistance so do it...a lot

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X