Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 Monkeys Experiment

Hi y'all

Anybody heard of eth 8 Monkey's Experiment before?

It is reputedly based on an actual experiment but I cant find a link to the actual study. Anybody know it?

Here's the general outline:

Put eight monkeys in a room. In the middle of the room is a ladder, leading to a bunch of bananas hanging from a hook on the ceiling.

Each time a monkey tries to climb the ladder, all the monkeys are sprayed with ice water, which makes them miserable. Soon enough,whenever a monkey attempts to climb the ladder, all of the other monkeys, not wanting to be sprayed, set upon him and beat him up.

Soon, none of the eight monkeys ever attempts to climb the ladder.

One of the original monkeys is then removed, and a new monkey is put in the room. Seeing the bananas and the ladder, he wonders why none ofthe other monkeys are doing the obvious. But undaunted, he immediately begins to climb the ladder.

All the other monkeys fall upon him and beat him silly. He has no idea why. However, he no longer attempts to climb the ladder.

A second original monkey is removed and replaced. The newcomer again attempts to climb the ladder, but all the other monkeys hammer thecrap out of him.

One by one, all the original monkeys are replaced. Eight new monkeys are now in the room. None of them have ever been sprayed by ice water.
    None of them attempt to climb the ladder. All of them will enthusiastically beat up any new monkey who tries, without having any idea why.

Loads oif sites claiming its from an actual experiment but no references. Any help much apprieciated.

All I've seen of it on the internet is people using it as a story to illustrate their views on company policy and religion. Almost every single instance of this story is followed up by "Is this how religions have lasted so long?"

Comment

Originally posted by Da Pope View Post
      Hi y'all

Anybody heard of eth 8 Monkey's Experiment before?

It is reputedly based on an actual experiment but I cant find a link to the actual study. Anybody know it?

Here's the general outline:

Put eight monkeys in a room. In the middle of the room is a ladder, leading to a bunch of bananas hanging from a hook on the ceiling.

Each time a monkey tries to climb the ladder, all the monkeys are sprayed with ice water, which makes them miserable. Soon enough,whenever a monkey attempts to climb the ladder, all of the other monkeys, not wanting to be sprayed, set upon him and beat him up.

Soon, none of the eight monkeys ever attempts to climb the ladder.

One of the original monkeys is then removed, and a new monkey is put in the room. Seeing the bananas and the ladder, he wonders why none ofthe other monkeys are doing the obvious. But undaunted, he immediately begins to climb the ladder.

All the other monkeys fall upon him and beat him silly. He has no idea why. However, he no longer attempts to climb the ladder.

A second original monkey is removed and replaced. The newcomer again attempts to climb the ladder, but all the other monkeys hammer thecrap out of him.

One by one, all the original monkeys are replaced. Eight new monkeys are now in the room. None of them have ever been sprayed by ice water.
      None of them attempt to climb the ladder. All of them will enthusiastically beat up any new monkey who tries, without having any idea why.

Loads oif sites claiming its from an actual experiment but no references. Any help much apprieciated.
      Macaques will generally pound the crap out of each other for no reason other than fun or dominance. For them, it's part of social interaction. Wouldn't put much stake in this particular experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Humanzee View Post
        Macaques will generally pound the crap out of each other for no reason other than fun or dominance. For them, it's part of social interaction. Wouldn't put much stake in this particular experiment.
        There is an actual experiment involving Macaques and Sweet potato washing. The results of that experiment are fairly consistent with the result quoted.
        Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
        Luta Livre flees the fight,
        Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
        Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

Originally posted by War Wheel View Post
          There is an actual experiment involving Macaques and Sweet potato washing. The results of that experiment are fairly consistent with the result quoted.
          If you mean the Japanese snow macaques, yep, that's something well known. Now all Japanese macaques wash their potatoes. However, it was not an experiment. It happened purely by accident.

A female macaque, I forget her name... jumped into a hot spring with her sweet potatoe. I forget the circumstance, but the gist of it, once she got out, she noticed the potatoe was clean of all the soil. Other macaques noticed it, and tried the same thing. Monkeys are capable of learning. Possibly of starting cults or large scale corporations.

I'll try to find some reference.

Comment

Ok, possibly it was an experiment after all.
            According to the story I heard, it happened purely by chance, but here is the experiment version:

http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC09/Myers.htm

Comment

That monkeys have a disposition for acquiring and transmitting cultural information is well known.

Comment

Sounds like a social influence type of experiment. They've done something similar with humans where an experimental subject was put in a waiting room with a certain number of other people (who were confederates). They pumped smoke under the door to the room, and had all of the confederates just keep sitting there as though it were no big deal. The more people in the room with the subject, the less likely the subject was to freak out and be like "whats wrong with you, there a fire going on!"

Comment

This is the closest I could find, generally the experiment you describe is regarded as a parable. There doesn't appear to be any actual evidence it was carried out.

Stephenson, G. R. (1967). Cultural acquisition of a specific learned response among rhesus monkeys. In: Starek, D., Schneider, R., and Kuhn, H. J. (eds.), Progress in Primatology, Stuttgart: Fischer, pp. 279-288.
                  mentioned in: Galef, B. G., Jr. (1976). Social Transmission of Acquired Behavior: A Discussion of Tradition and Social Learning in Vertebrates. In: Rosenblatt, J.S., Hinde, R.A., Shaw, E. and Beer, C. (eds.), Advances in the study of behavior

Comment

Last I heard was that it was a fictional study from a novel, although the novelist may have lifted it from an actual study.

Comment

Originally posted by Humanzee View Post
                      Ok, possibly it was an experiment after all.
                      According to the story I heard, it happened purely by chance, but here is the experiment version:

http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC09/Myers.htm
                      Here's the original research

http://www.springerlink.com/content/...603209261&pi=0
                      Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
                      Luta Livre flees the fight,
                      Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
                      Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

Originally posted by War Wheel View Post
                        Damn, I love those little guys.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Definitely looks like the 8 monkeys thing is a parable.

Also thanks for the other study links.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Pope View Post
                            Thanks everyone. Definitely looks like the 8 monkeys thing is a parable.

Also thanks for the other study links.
                            For more monkey shennanigans, do a youtube search for shoplifting monkeys. This cute little bastard was robbing convenience stores in Hokkaido.

Let me know if you find it.

Comment

Originally posted by danniboi07 View Post
                              All I've seen of it on the internet is people using it as a story to illustrate their views on company policy and religion. Almost every single instance of this story is followed up by "Is this how religions have lasted so long?"
                              That doesn't really make any sense, even taking the story as read. For an atheist to make some supposed point about religion this way the ice water spraying should be fictional, not a rational response absorbed into the culture.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X