X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chicken or the egg?

gotta love osiris for keeping things normal and in perspective

Comment

I have always considered a technique to be a series of movements. Principles are what I keep in mind when I do a technique, or practice it.
      “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

Comment

omg, does nobody but osiris see how ridiculous this is? why seek to define something you already understand?

Comment

You can have a technique without a style, but can you have a style without a technique?

Comment

Holy shit you made me laugh.

Comment

"Gotta love semantics."
                actually that is what i would like to get past. there is a bottom line.

"Combinations of techniques are usually called "combinations".

now, that is what i call semantics. I take it that you would define a technique as one movement, such as a punch, kick or choke. based on what i understand your perspective to be, i would tend to agree.

"Principles are merely the ideals that the techiques are based on."

here is where we part ways, Os. The 'principles' of ma, as i know them, are irrefutable. they cannot be denied, only adhered to. Or not.

" As for defense, you can defend against an attack."

I agree that you may neutralize an attack without retaliating. my personal view is that that 'philosophy' is overly optimistic. I should not have made that remark, as it merely muddies the discussion.

"Unless you want to play more semantic games, thats the case."

hmm...i dont think so.

Peace.

Comment

I have always considered a technique to be a series of movements. Principles are what I keep in mind when I do a technique, or practice it.

Mr. Mantis,

In performing a series of movements, at what point does the technique distinguish itself? or in an uninterruped flow of movement, when does one technique end and another begin?

and how many different sequences do you have in your system/style/method?

I am not trying to be obtuse. As a comparison, i use about twelve different 'techniques' to generate all of my 'movement strings'.

as well technques are of indeterminable length. As Amp stated, the 'technique' is more aptly described as a 'purpose'.

In CMA there is a concept known as the 'linking fist' or 'transitional skill'. this is the ability to smoothly bridge individual movement components to create combinations. these combinations are 'created' according to the principles of operation.

Peace.

Comment

I think that a technique also denotes familiarity.

You can't really have a kicking technique if you don't kick.

Comment

Dictionary is always a start-

"The systematic procedure by which a complex or scientific task is accomplished."

A technique can be as simple as a block to as far as a block-strike-pull-elbow-finish. Technique can be the way you kick, knee elevation-extentension-retraction...
                      Anything that has a set procedure is a technique or at least has technique to it eg. your punching technique with vertical/horizontal fist etc.
                      "Pussyhole"

Comment

IMO, "princples" are transferable to different situations, but "techniques" are not. If you use the correct princple, but a flawed technique you still have a chance, but if you use a picture perfect technqiue in the wrong situation and get killed.

Comment

Originally posted by kuntaokid
                          Mr. Mantis,

In performing a series of movements, at what point does the technique distinguish itself? or in an uninterruped flow of movement, when does one technique end and another begin?
                          For me, a technique is a set of movements that I put together for either an attack or a defense and counter-attack.
                          It is just a practice tool. For instance, suppose I want to develop a technique to to defend against right high punch. I instruct my opponent to throw a right high punch, and then do whatever they want. I devise my own technique that works for me and the technique ends when my opponent hits the floor. For practice purposes, and controlling the learning environment, I have a set idea of movements which I will execute. If it is a bad technique, or will not work for me, I find out at that time and make whatever adjustments I need to make.

and how many different sequences do you have in your system/style/method?
                          a minimum of three in a defensive situation(block, disrupt, strike), that is a principle. I do not have one style or one system. I am trained in a variety of styles.

[QUOTEIn CMA there is a concept known as the 'linking fist' or 'transitional skill'. this is the ability to smoothly bridge individual movement components to create combinations. these combinations are 'created' according to the principles of operation.

Peace.
                          [/QUOTE]

I don't consider just one thing to be a technique. Example, a right vertical punch is a strike to me, a right hook is a strike, an uppercut is a strike, a side snap kick is a strike, a hook block is a block, fan block is a block, butterfly block is a block.

I understand flow if that is what you mean.

This is basically what I think of when I hear the word "technique" Another term would be "Combat application".
                          “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

"I think that a technique also denotes familiarity.

You can't really have a kicking technique if you don't kick."

Amp,

not sure what you mean. of course, i agree. you must train your tools.

Comment

"A technique can be as simple as a block to as far as a block-strike-pull-elbow-finish. Technique can be the way you kick, knee elevation-extentension-retraction...
                              Anything that has a set procedure is a technique or at least has technique to it eg. your punching technique with vertical/horizontal fist etc."

that is probably about as good a definition as you can get with this subject.

A technique is a process.

Comment

Working...
                              X