No announcement yet.

chicken or the egg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let us look at a strike, its a techniques governed by many principles, how do you eleiminate the technique?

I have spoken with some pretty amazing instructors here and in Europe, I have never heard them say anything about "eliminating" techniques.
    Having no-techniques as a techniques, I have heard, of course that has always meant to not be dependant on any particular technique(s).

The moment you move in a coordinated manner, instinctive or not, you are employing some sore ot technical ability ie: a technique.

Comment

ronin,

it is matter of perspective and understanding.

take your punch example.

successful strikes land because they are done correctly. there are three BASIC consideration in landing a hit, Timing, Distance, and Angle. it is not a matter of choice or preference. IF the timing, angulation, and distance are correct you will hit your target. it is simple physics.

knowing this and acting on it is what makes the difference between consistently good perfomance and improvement, and 'hit and miss' success.

if you punch someone, and it works, it doesn't mean that it was good. It was very likely a very crude action, and was a essentially a 'lucky idealization'. It managed to match up, but not because of known parameters. You dumb your way through things.

acting in accord with the underlying principles of physics, otoh, yields a much higher quality action because it is based on REALITY or PHYSICS. it is not subject to interpretation.

If i know the operative principles, i can accomplish the task many different ways, all spontaneous. there is more than one way to skin a cat.

If all i know is a technique, my options will be severly limited, and their sucess will be highly variable.

I will say it again, TECHNIQUES DO NOT EXIST, THEY ARE PROCESSES.

"Old Man, how is it that you can hear the grasshopper at your feet?"

"Young Man, how is it that you cannot?"

Comment

I totally understand what you are saying and I agree with the importance of principles.
        I think you and I have a different definition of the term "technique".

Comment

semantics........and ambiguity. tsk tsk. the bane of text communication.
          Punches in bunches and kicks kicks kicks!

Comment

Indeed, so it would seem.
            I guess I am being too literal.

Comment

I personally dont think technique necessarily has a principle. To be more specifically a sound principle. You could puch someone with using only your arm strength but this is not a principle. Now if you punch someone using other muscle groups ie. legs hip rotation etc. then there is a principle. The principle of using the most relevent muscle groups to deliver the most maximum amount of energy with the least waisted motion to conclude your end results. (Mind you it depends on the type of punch and what one's intentions are)
              Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

'I totally understand what you are saying and I agree with the importance of principles.
                I think you and I have a different definition of the term "technique".'

absolutely ronin. although we all speak english, the words have a different meaning for each. Terminology is a bitch.

as well, we each have our own viewpoint, which we believe to be correct.

a friend of mine if fond of saying, " and how's that working out for ya?"

in the end that is all that really matters.

I am sure that you can demonstrate the truth of what of you are saying...of that i have no doubt.

Peace.

Comment

'I personally dont think technique necessarily has a principle. To be more specifically a sound principle. You could puch someone with using only your arm strength but this is not a principle. Now if you punch someone using other muscle groups ie. legs hip rotation etc. then there is a principle. The principle of using the most relevent muscle groups to deliver the most maximum amount of energy with the least waisted motion to conclude your end results. (Mind you it depends on the type of punch and what one's intentions are)'

my assertion would be that any movement will see a commesurate rise in 'success' to the degree that it conforms to the underlying principles upon which it is founded, PROVIDED the principles are sound. If they are based on physics, then they will be.

it is a matter of efficiency and quality of movement...

( my apologies, the reply i sent to you (PM) was too long. I must send another)

Peace.

Comment

Please send me another message. (Obviously I didnt get the first one.) Apparently the length of the messages are limited to thousand words (give or take a few) .
                    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X