No announcement yet.

chicken or the egg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in the context of MA, i do not use the term principle to mean physics or why something work rather as a code of conduct. why attacks a person will use and how he fights. in which case, technique came first then the technique formed into a principle for their strategy.

"take center line"
    "don't fight off your back"
    "punch and block and the same time"
    these are principles

for how things work, i prefer to use biomechanics, physics, etc. more concrete and clear as to waht you are talking about.
    Punches in bunches and kicks kicks kicks!

Comment

which is why i say technique came first. no one says "throw punches and bunches" and then figures out why they should. they do and go "damn..that worked!"

Comment

Originally posted by Justme
        THE PRINCIPLE BECAUSE IT WAS ALWAYS THERE BEFORE THE TECHNIQUE EXISTED.... Ask the frog. Be one with the Frog. The Frog K-N-O-W-S about principles and techniques.....
        The FROG is unique, he has attained enlightenment.
        Unlike us poor slobs...

Comment

'doctrine or assumption requires mental recognition. that came after technique.'

recognition is not what determines existance. Just because you did'nt 'see' it before, doesn't mean it wasn't there the whole time. It was. It just took a while to notice it.

'depends on what definition u are talking about. but i would like to add that many people make an assumption that their principles work when they are not fundamental laws.'

YES!!!

so, if their principle does not work, what is it based on?

and if it does, what is it based on?

Comment

it's based on some hockey pockey master that has never fought in his life and the comic book battles that go on in his little head.

when you fight enough, you realize there is no fundamental law (def. code of conduct) in the context of fighting. every law is broken, hence not a law. there are no principles. only techniques and favorite techniques.
            (not including physics and why things work!)

Comment

What about when you don't 'fight' during violent conflict?

What happens when you address violent conflict in the training (lots of hard contact in a variety of scenarios and formats), but don't espouse the thinking that your actions are combative, or that you're engaging the attacker(s) with a 'fighting' mindset?

Just wondering if any of you have experience in this type of martial training.
              Last edited by Shooter; 1/08/2004 1:46pm, .

Comment

i'm not 100% sure what you are getting at...but anyways.

by the sound of things, you guys are just banging arms........if it isn't combative and it's not meant for fighting, u're dancing. full contact dancing.

dunno how this has to do with principles though.

Comment

Yeah...we're just banging arms. LOL

Comment

heh heh. i dunno what u're talking about. the post was a little..fuzzy.

so what does this have to do with principles anyhow?

Comment

one of my friends went to a school where they just banged arms. he thought he could fight until he actually sparred people outside of his school. thing was though, he had some tough arms.

Comment

It has everything to do with principles and nothing to do with techniques. I'm describing how I approach my TCC.

The main principle of which is neutralization. But don't confine that idea to just the physical. While physical/tactical method is often a part of conflict, it's not everything.

Comment

'What about when you don't 'fight' during violent conflict?

What happens when you address violent conflict in the training (lots of hard contact in a variety of scenarios and formats), but don't espouse the thinking that your actions are combative, or that you're engaging the attacker(s) with a 'fighting' mindset?

Just wondering if any of you have experience in this type of martial training.'

the ultimate. beyond their ken.

Comment

'when you fight enough, you realize there is no fundamental law (def. code of conduct) in the context of fighting. every law is broken, hence not a law. there are no principles. only techniques and favorite techniques.
                            (not including physics and why things work!)'

after a promising start, IronBuddha takes a nosedive, crashes, and burns.

Comment

i'm not 100% sure what you are getting at...but anyways.

by the sound of things, you guys are just banging arms........if it isn't combative and it's not meant for fighting, u're dancing. full contact dancing.

dunno how this has to do with principles though.

------------------

You are dismissed.

Comment

Originally posted by kuntaokid
                                'What about when you don't 'fight' during violent conflict?

Just wondering if any of you have experience in this type of martial training.'

the ultimate. beyond their ken.
                                I have a hard time telling when you are serious or kidding.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X