Equilibrium and Gun Katas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equilibrium and Gun Katas

For the people that have seen this, what did you think?

I thought it was an interesting concept, and it made for some pretty cool action sequences.

In particular i liked the last fight between Bale and some other guy, where the fighting was close quarters.

that movie was damn good, though i question the validity of the whole gun kata concept, but damn good movie none the less.

the core idea is that gun fights follow some set pattern. and, though i have no experience of any kind inthis myself, it seems a bit unrealistic. aren't they usually very chaotic?

Comment

wouldn't you also have to account for the mental state and skill of the shooter?

of course, we don't really have all the details of the gunkata and the research that went into it, so i suppose it might be difficult to analyze it. plus, they only needed enough to make th emovie anyway
      Last edited by MaverickZ; 1/01/2004 10:04pm, .

Comment

I managed to find this on my search through the net, it's a quote by someone in the movie.

"The Gun Katas: Through analysis of thousands of recorded gun fights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element.

The Gun Kata treats the gun as a total weapon. Each new position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents, while keeping the defendant clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire."

Basically, you get used to how people will react in certain situations, and then you react in turn to that. Obviously, different people will react differently, but you'd think after watching thousands of gun fights, that a few patterns would begin to show, not unlike watching hand to hand fights.

It is very stylish, that's for sure.

Comment

that quote is straight out of the movie by the way.

i suppose the clean and clear group tactics of swat sorta echo that kind of idea, though they concentrate on covering all the angles rather than picking certain angles that are most likely to be used (i think).

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X