X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Lord of the Rings is Racist

According to Lloyd Hart and his article that you can read here
    http://paris.indymedia.org/article.p..._article=13086

I just can't get over this guy's last few paragraphs; all of Europe's advances in math, writing, and transportation are thanks to Africa and Asia? Western medicine isn't as good as Chinese herbalism? Rap is a good cultural counterbalance to the racism of the LotR films?!?!?!

Let's just say my head is spinning.

Also, that he says "people of skin color"......... as opposed to what, people whose skin is transparent? What the fuck?!

I love some of the responses though, I think there's one by a native American to the effect of "I assure you, sir, the people of the Cherokee Nation do not have fangs, claws, and un undying thirst for blood".... that was great.

Comment

Just about everything from indymedia is bogus.

Comment

Since the Lord of the Rings was intended by it author as a British epic myth cycle, it is hardly surprising that it is heavily influenced by Anglo-Saxon mores and patterns.

Much these same arguments are levied at LOTR for being "sexist" because there are no strong women characters ... I always wonder if these people missed Galadriel, who is offered the One Ring freely and REFUSES IT OF HER OWN FREE WILL and Eowyn, who is THE pivotal figure of the Battle of Pelennor Fields, or Arwen Undomiel, who inspires Aragorn to take up his Kingship in the first place ... I mean, really ...
        Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Well, nowadays when someone sets out to write a "strong female character", by definition that character must never recieve the help of a man and must then proceed to defeat men left and right as if they were nothing.

Showing strength of character but not kicking a man in the balls apparently makes a female character "weak" or somehow servile to the male lead......

Whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
            Well, the movie is CLEARLY designed for white consumption and relies heavily on on portraying valued white cultural and physical characteristics as righteous and what doesnt fit in as evil.
            I noticed most of the monsters were dark-skinned. SOMEONE CALL THE ACLU!!! :D
            Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Comment

if someone is to be blamed it would be tolkein and not the makers of the movie. however, this would be ridiculous as well considering what the book was intended to be (see jkd chicks post)

Comment

I hate race politic's. There the reason that in every beer commerical there is 3 white dudes and one black dude that run into three white chick's and one black chick.
                "ARGH SURF NINJAS *implodes* " the cruel fate of Stold3

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
                  I noticed that too and alluded to that in the part you quoted. If you notice though, I didnt say call anyone.
                  Osiris, have you ever read other fantasy books? There is race of elves called the Drow, dark skinned or black. They just happen to be one of the most vile and evil races depicted in the D&D world. :eek:
                  Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Comment

in the Dungeon's and Dragon movie, didn't a black dude also play a clown.

Fanasty geek's are like totally racist.
                    "ARGH SURF NINJAS *implodes* " the cruel fate of Stold3

Comment

Originally posted by Meteora
                      I hate race politic's. There the reason that in every beer commerical there is 3 white dudes and one black dude that run into three white chick's and one black chick.
                      I saw something like that in 'Not another Teen Movie.' Great movie, academy award material. :cool:

Malik: Sure, why not? I am the token black guy. I'm just supposed to smile and stay out of the conversation and say things like: "Damn," "Shit," and "That is whack."

Comment

Originally posted by Meteora
                        in the Dungeon's and Dragon movie, didn't a black dude also play a clown.
                        I didn't pay much attention to that movie, quite frankly, I thought it was terrible. Now, if you want to talk about a great movie, Blazing Saddles bar none.

Fanasty geek's are like totally racist.
                        I know what you mean, they even got monsters like the Black Slime.

Comment

Os, when you come to Canada you can be my token black guy :)
                          I'll have the coolest parties on campus! I already have pizd lined up as the token Asian, complete with badazz martial art skills!

Comment

Originally posted by elipson
                            Os, when you come to Canada you can be my token black guy :)
                            I'll have the coolest parties on campus! I already have pizd lined up as the token Asian, complete with badazz martial art skills!
                            Come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever seen a black Canadian. :confused:

Comment

Guys, sometimes a Black Slime is just a Black Slime, you know ...
                              Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X