Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MMA as a throwback

Hello
    I wasn't sure were to post this, but I actually believe it's more for the traditional martial arts forum, even though I speak of mixed martial arts here.

There's a parallel, I believe, between the original form of kung fu, and more generally all "traditional" styles, and mixed martial arts.
    The spirit was the same, I believe. It was "keep what works", with generous doses of "we kick ass, we don't write haiku" thrown in the middle.

Don't you think that what you see today in MMA is almost a genetic throwback to those times?
    You do TMA, I did too for the matter (Judo, even though Judo wasn't there at the times I speak of), so you're probably better qualified to answer.

I also believe that with time more and more of TMA will eventually flow into MMA, for they are still young.
    What's your opinion on this, and what part of your TMA you would like to see used, you believe it would stand well, in MMA circuits?

Who cares ?

Martial arts is martial arts. Be it tradiional or modern as long as it works and you are happy with your training methods whats the big deal how old it is or where it comes from.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

I agree, but that wasn't the point, really... it just seems to me that MMA are, in a way, more "traditional" than most "traditional" arts.

Comment

When people say MMA they refer to a fight scene where any martial art fighting style maybe used. Most of the time you get MT with BJJ.

As opposed to your neoclassical tournaments where only one method of fighting is allowed. For example if you go to a boxing match,the competitiors are only allowed to use boxing. If you go to a Kyokushin Karate tournament, the competitors are only allowed to use Kyokushin and so forth. Quite often MMA is composed of traditional styles.
        Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

i get your point Orion...'same thing....different time'...it's almost as if something is repeating itself in a sense. you can trace back the crosstraining of many TMA to who knows when...all is MMA has been and always will be??!?! heh
          Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.
          -Albert Einstein

Comment

I am not referring to the styles as much as to the spirit.
            The spirit being - let's keep it close to reality.

Comment

Good points Orion, I agree whole heartily.

I'm reading a terrible book about the Samurai right now, but one thing that stuck out in my mind was, that during times of prolonged peace, the techniques and fighting methods deteriorated. They weren't being used. I think that's why, alot of traditional styles now, have so much "junk" techniques.

Fast forward to now, where they one one again being used again, and you see people going BACK to a pragmatic approach to MA. I agree this could be a MAs Reinesance.
              :qleft1: :new_cussi :qmickey: :evil7: :XXcat: :XXfish: :5crackup:

Comment

Ground grappling is new! Mixing styles is modern too. Throwback LOLOLOL!
                "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Ground grappling is not new.
                  Mixing has been done at a lesser extent in the past though. Such as "choi lay fut" and other arts.
                  Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

Ground grappling is as old as jujitsu, circa 2000 years, in the East, and older in the west (Pankratium in Greece, well before Christ).
                    Mixing styles was the original form of martial arts. Most kung fu styles were products of mixtures (Hung Gar, Choy Leet Fut, Taiji, just to name a few), and most kung fu fighters cross trained all the time.
                    "Pure" stylists are the result of mcdojos.

Comment

Orion said it right! " "Pure" stylists are the result of mcdojos."
                      Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

:sigh: Another one of my pathetic flame attempts goes under.
                        "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Exactly. No one martial arts style has it all. It is important to experiance more than one martial art. But it all comes down to how much time and money you have.

Comment

You TMA guys take way too much credit; MMA is composed of TMAs? I don't think so. Most MMAers that cross-train train in: boxing, MT, BJJ, and wrestling. MMAers that don't cross-train - like myself - will train in something that covers everything: Vale Tudo (which isn't a style), shootfighting, etc.
                            The point being that it's just fighting and it isn't about styles, or mixing styles; you don't go in to the ring with a collection of styles to fight with, you just go in to fight. The style that you use is entirely personal.

Comment

Muay Thai is a classical art.
                              BJJ comes from Judo and Jujitsu. Jujitsu is very old, and very traditional. Jujigatame and udegarame are very classical techs.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X