Using the Wing Chun Blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using the Wing Chun Blocks

I was wondering if anyone uses a bon sau to enter into joint manipulation? I'm thinking this sort of blocking would be a way to make hapkido or aikido types of upper body locks practical. Just an idea.

I use the bon sau to stop baseball bats.

Comment

i use them occasionally, but they are not technically compatible with the aikido i have been taught.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand.

The bong sao is kinda weaker due to the way the arm is positioned.....
        I think you should maybe enter with a lap sao or pak sao for more control....
        Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

I haven't been trained at all in wing chun but I read an article on the bon sau and it looks like a perfect way to enter a pal kum chi (hapkido term). I will look into the lap sao and pak sau, maybe have a couple private sessions to learn them.

Comment

pal kum chi lock (Elbow lock) man I got to proof read

Comment

What's a bon sau?

Comment

It is possible to bong sau, lopsau, and then apply armbar with the arm you used to bong sau.

Bong sau is n elbow up, hand down deflection. Type it in google images for pics.

Comment

I've learned it, and used it to trap and punch. BUT, I haven't tried it in a real self-defense situation on THE STREET.

Comment

I find bong sau to be a quick response against a strike when your sitting down. One of my friends would always launch surprise attacks on me and it seems maybe 8 out of 10 tens bong sau was the best reponse to a quick punch. Although I much prefer to use palm and outer ridge hands blocks but because most of the time my friend attacks me is when my arms are down i use the bong sau (not always but most of the time).
                    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

Originally posted by TheHungsta
                      What's a bon sau?
                      The Hungsta doesn't know what a bong sau is?

This is a bong sau: http://www.wingchun.hk.com/Sifu_bong.jpg
                      Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

Its not really a good depiction but I guess that it will do for now. Bong sau is a rising block and it deflects a mid/ to somewhat high punch inwards and away from the body. Its best combine with a shift.
                        Aniother useful block is a palm block. Very simple and straight forward. And outside ridge hand block. In combination with palm blocks you can deflect a series of rapid punches to your face with these two moves. It works on the ground as well. There isnt any chambering of the block like those of karate. Similar to MT's palm block agaisnt punches.
                        Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

It isn't meant to be a "block" really.
                          Nothing in wing chun is. Everything should be thought of as a deflection or interception.
                          I notice a lot of people apply bong sau as a stationary wing arm, much like a karate block.
                          It should be done with forward "drilling" intent.
                          Pizdoff is right about it not being too strong. Bong sau is only strong in one direction, forward/back. It should be used as a transition to something else very quickly such as a lap sao (as was previously mentioned).

Comment

the wing chun i'm learning, we were told not to call it a block. blocking carries with it the idea that i'm chasing his hand, in wing chun you simply cover. if it's to whatever side, u just cover, with a gon sao or kwan sao, tan sao with punch etc. where i train we tend not to prefer the covers, but the more proactive responses, like covering with the tan and a punch etc.
                            you can do what he's talking about, we do it in tai chi as well. "entering techniques" to make contact then go into chin na( wrist locks etc). i personally don't place a lot of stock in it, but it can be done.

Comment

Good point, Monkey.
                              Kung fu is translated as "stand around and talk."

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X