Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jenfucius
    replied
    i thought this thread was going to be about ridiculous suits that people wear. like the purple suits pimps wear to church on sundays and stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Jenfucius
    replied
    rosa parks also got pissed off at that guy in the movie barbershop for making fun of her. like many liberals, rosa parks apparently has no sense of humor.

though mocking a civil rights icon isn't that brilliant a move either.

Leave a comment:

• Jenfucius
    replied
    Originally posted by Freddy
    Something like that would probably never happen in Canada.
    what, you mean like a war of independence, you canadian swine? drink maple syrup and drown in it, you ugly canuck.

Leave a comment:

• blankslate
    replied
    Interesting commentary on topic....

>Subject: Rosa Parks and a missed generational opportunity
    >Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 03:16:46 -0500
    >
    >By Leonard Pitts, Miami Herald columnist
    >
    >
    >MIAMI - It's not that the legal issues aren't compelling. Indeed, for us journalist types, there are few things sexier than a First Amendment lawsuit.
    >
    >But where the case of Rosa Parks v. OutKast is concerned, what scrapes at your heart is something beyond the law. For all that the case may say about freedom of speech, it says more about the disconnect between African-American generations, the wrenching sense that an inheritance of pride and purpose was somehow never passed down.
    >
    >For those who missed it: The Supreme Court decided this past week to allow Parks to go forward with a suit seeking unspecified damages from OutKast, a rap duo that named a song after her. Said song is not about Parks. Nor is it about the Montgomery bus boycott, which she famously triggered by refusing to give up her bus seat in 1955.
    >
    >The closest the song comes to referencing that history is the chorus: ``Ah ha, hush that fuss/Everybody move to the back of the bus.'' Still, Parks' lawyers say she feels exploited. They also claim the song sowed confusion in the marketplace, cutting into sales for A Tribute to Rosa Parks, a gospel album released in 1995.
    >
    >Both arguments are weak. It stretches credibility to suggest even the most naive consumer could mistakenly buy an OutKast CD while looking for gospel. As for exploitation: The Neville Brothers used Parks' name in a song (Sister Rosa) some 14 years ago, and she didn't call her lawyers then. It's surely not coincidental that the Nevilles are middle-aged and conventional and that their song was a tribute to Parks.
    >
    >OutKast, on the other hand, is Andre 3000 (Andre Benjamin) and Big Boi (Antwan Patton), two young men from Atlanta who, although capable of literate social commentary, are not above musical thuggery, the kind of potty-mouthed declamations so popular in hip-hop. This includes, but is not limited to, the deadly N-word.
    >
    >Benjamin and Patton have said, with touching cluelessness, that naming the song after Parks was their way of honoring her.
    >
    >Problem is, and I don't mean to be harsh, they wouldn't know how to honor Rosa Parks if you wrote out instructions. The rappers and the 90-year-old icon are as unalike as residents of different planets. Which is, for all practical purposes, what they are.
    >
    >The difference is not just generational, not just about the gap between swing and rap. Rather, it's about a fundamental disparity in perception.
    >
    >Rosa Parks is from a time when the average black man or woman felt duty bound to live a life that reflected well on black people as a whole. If there is a single word for what African-Americans of that era prized, projected and sometimes died to defend, that word is dignity.
    >
    >Understand that, and you understand why Parks is mortified to find her name on an OutKast CD.
    >
    >Still, it's sad to see her going to court to get it removed. Seems just more proof of the discontinuity of African American generations.
    >
    >It sometimes feels as if each new crop of black Americans is, in some sense, starting all over again, going out with no tether to the sacrifices that made their lives possible, no recognition of their debt to past and future, no inclination to draw on an inheritance of purpose and of pride.
    >
    >Which is why many of their elders are vexed by them, turn away from them, give up on reaching them. But just whose failure does that represent?
    >
    >OutKast is the product of an uncensored age, an age when people cross the line so routinely it has all but been erased. We could argue about what it means, but that's beside the point.
    >
    >Parks became an icon because, faced with a moral challenge, she made a decision. I wish she had found a way, some method beyond the courts, of helping these young men to understand what that means. Understand that the process never ends.
    >
    >And that they have decisions to make, too.
    >
    >
    >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >Pitts is a Miami Herald columnist.

Leave a comment:

• manchuria
    replied
    my interpretation of this is that they are not describing a person as much as an event, unfortunately for the person in question their name has become a reference to the event in which they participated, therefore they are not using "Rosa Parks" as it pertains to the person, but rather as a description of the event, i think that if they lose they should at worst have to modify the title so it is clearly in this context.

Leave a comment:

• Sharlintier
    replied
    Originally posted by blankslate
    I like 'em, I like Shar too!
    Well there is 2 strikes against you in life :D

Leave a comment:

• blankslate
    replied
    I like 'em, I like Shar too!

Leave a comment:

• Sharlintier
    replied
    Osiris just because you don't think they suck does not mean that I don't think they suck...

It's a matter of what you like, and I don't like them....

Leave a comment:

• blankslate
    replied
    'LACS and 'PRICES, 'LACS and 'PRICES, that's the way we .....

Leave a comment:

• blankslate
    replied
    "I'm sorry Miss Jackson"

Leave a comment:

• Sharlintier
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wastrel
    Dude, she's a person of historical importance.

What, you can't write a book about her now? Can't mention her in reference to the Civil Rights movement?
    Writing about what she did and what is on record is one thing... but when you seem to advocate the opposite of what she did and then want to slap her name on it... I would say that is a bit different wouldn't you?

"The lyrics do not mention her by name, but the chorus says, "Ah, ha, hush that fuss. Everybody move to the back of the bus." "

Give me a fucking break

(Granted I think Outkast sucks rocks so I wouldn't listen to them if I was paid, so all I can go by was this little chorus quote if the quote is misleading then I may think differently)

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Mantis
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wastrel

What, you can't write a book about her now? Can't mention her in reference to the Civil Rights movement?
    There is a newsworthyness exception to the rule. So there is no appropriation if she is reported in the news or something like that. So yes, she can be in a history book.

I think there might be a problem if someone wrote a book just about her, without consent.

If she can argue the "You are making money off of my name without permission." She has a case.

In the case at bar, the music group is going to have a hard time coming within the exception. They have to argue that they did not benefit (profit) from using her name.

Once she dies, the cause of action dies with her (with some exceptions :D )

Leave a comment:

• The Wastrel
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Mantis
    replied
    Okay, I looked into it, I guess the name is sufficient for the appropriation / invasion of privacy cause of action. Being a proponent of privacy, I can not fault her. Public figure or not it makes no difference. I also hate that it came down to a lawsuit, but hey we don't know what happened behind the scenes before the suit was filed.

Now if there was no commercial aspect, we wouldn't see this case. Sad but true, that's the way it is.

Leave a comment:

• Justme
    replied
    Whos Outkast?

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X