My First Time Free Sparring...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Time Free Sparring...

Okay, last night was my first night of free sparring full contact. Well, I should be honest and state that my first 'official' full contact free sparring was two weeks ago. But the thing was, is that I was fighting a third degree black belt in Uechi Ryu, and the rule was that all he could do was block my attacks. So I don't really count that.

But last night (Friday night) I had my first opportunity to full contact free spar the same guy again.

I actually did a lot better than the first time and got a lot of hits in. My shins were hurting like hell from kicking a heavy bag (One of those bags that gets progressibely harder the lower you kick it) so I only got in about 9 kicks, compared to my 30+ punches. Obviously I didn't win the match, and the guy (who we'll call Gary) kept trying to sweep me, which in the end is how he won.

I would have gone for sweeps as well, only I'm a yellow belt practicing for about 8 months in Uechi Ryu, and he's been doing it for 9 years now. So I didn't know how to effectively make a sweep. Never the less, I tried my best and by the time we were finished he shook my hand and complimented me on my remarkable improvement. Saying I was getting a lot faster, stronger, and he was impressed with my cockuto(Sp?) strikes. Which is basically a wrist strike.

So all in all I was quite pleased with myself, even if my shins are bruised and hurt like hell, and my chest is bruised up pretty bad as well. But it was an enjoyable experience and one I won't forget.

By the way, in case you were wondering why I'm fighting a 3rd Dan when I have so little training. I wanted to see how all my training applied to a fight and how I could use it effectively, not just on a bag. So my Shihan told me if I was up to it I could free spar some of the advanced students. I agreed, and will continue to spar them every friday night. Believe it or not, for all the pain I'm in...I'm looking forward to it.

P.s. Sweeps hurt like hell on hard wooden floors.
    "did Phrost just call me a 'bitch'?"-Omega

"The collective IQ of bullshido was reduced with the departure of Wastrel. It further dropped due to the retention of (Serious Harm)."
    - The all knowing Dochter

"but like, it's possible to develop such a level of reflex that you can literally detect someones movements through sensitivity, and block without even thinking"-Apostol

That's the amazing thing about Ninjas, for sneeky cocksuckers, they are all over the place, like dog shit on your shoe.-Ronin69

Congratulations! Seems you had a good learning experience.

Comment

I'm hoping they'll de-tenderize soon. I do a lot of training on the bags and makiwara, but actually putting myself into a combat situation changed everything. I mean, I knew it would but I had no idea the pain would be so...real. It was an almost enlightening experience. As long as the ribs and shins don't break or crack, I'll be happy with whatever bruises and sores I'm given.

Realistically it wasn't about winning for either of us. Gary could honestly care less about whether or not he beat me. He made that quite clear, his intention was for me to experience not just the pain but also to realize Taisen Deshimaru's words when he said, "Intuition and Action must spring forth at the same time." He wanted me to learn to see an action and react to it immediately without hesitation or thought. I obviously wasn't trying to win, because I was there for the learning experience all in itself.

I do have a question though. For those of you who do free sparring and such, what do you do to train you're body? I use the makiwara, bags, and kotekiti(SP?) that's where you're opponent punches you're body and you take the blows because they do it in a specific manner to train your body.

So what do you guys do? My intention isn't to take that idea and use it. Because obviously I wouldn't know how to do it properly, but I'm curious as to how you're style or you're gym trains you.

I take Uechi Ryu karate-do just for reference sake.

"The collective IQ of bullshido was reduced with the departure of Wastrel. It further dropped due to the retention of (Serious Harm)."

"but like, it's possible to develop such a level of reflex that you can literally detect someones movements through sensitivity, and block without even thinking"-Apostol

That's the amazing thing about Ninjas, for sneeky cocksuckers, they are all over the place, like dog shit on your shoe.-Ronin69

Comment

Indeed, that's what I'm trained to do. Both block and breath out and tense the muscles upon being hit or when you know a hit is about to land. I'm finding the circle block to become very useful, especially when they aim for the chest.

Comment

Good advice Edge.
          "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Comment

Uechi-ryu, respect. I cry everytime I see someone break boards with their toes! And nice to see someone else who uses the wrist strike (we call it Ko Uchi)
            Anyway as for conditioning we use the same as you and also pairing up and performing blocks simultaneously, ie facing each other and both performing Gedan Uke with the same arm, so the blocking parts hit. I know Uechi-ryu also practice Sanchin, but I don't know if you've done that yet at your level? That's a good way to practice your breathing/taking hits. Oh I study Goju btw.

Comment

Yeah, Sanchin was one of the first things we learned. It's awesome to say the least and a lot of my practices deal greatly with it. Part of the reason why is Uechi Ryu considers it a basic we need to learn.

The toe-kick...ah, so much fun. The conditioning is a bitch and hurt likes hell, but well worth it. Wrist strike is awesome because it deals a lot of damage to the opponent and takes little for it to be conditioned (at least in my case) just do some push ups with it and your good to go.

My first time with a hooker? I have yet to personally spend time with a hooker so I wouldn't know. But I'm sure its fun.

Comment

Benny The Jet used to train some interesting "Impact" drills on himself and with a partner to toughen up....somewhat masochistic but look at the results...

anyway, hookers, have your cake and eat it too....pesky diseases....

Comment

They have diseases? So I guess all those myths and rumors were actually true...damn.

Anyways, I think that theres a fine line between masochism and an intense will power. I can't claim to have either, but I wish I had the super willpower and want of pain to get better.

Comment

So you spar without any gloves or shin pads? Do you wear a mouth gaurd or caup at least?

Comment

Uh. No.

We do at times, but this is full contact. It's not super realistic, but they try and keep it as realistic AS legally possible. Thus, we fight without any gear on at the higher ranks. However, I'm no highly trained student. I think what it is, is my shihan wants me to train for full contact. Since, karate is becoming more of a sport rather than a combat system. We don't stand around just randomly punching the hell out of each other, we work on technique.

Comment

I wasn't trying to offend. I was just curious we spar almost every class in Shidokan but 90% of the time we "pad up" cuts down on injuries a lot. How often do you spar wiht pads versus this "naked" sparring. hehehehe (naked)

Comment

Hookers, cake, eating, naked sparring ?????????

Damn, I like this thread !!!!!

Comment

LOL. No, I didn't think you were trying to offend. I was just explaining.

I spar with pads during normal classes (Monday-Thursday). We don't spar every night, but some padding is required those nights. On Friday night only do I spar 'naked' with the advanced students.

But I spar more frequently 'naked' rather than with the pads on. So I'd say it's 75% without gear and 25% with gear. Injuries are frequent, but nothing people can't heal from over the weekend. Nothing serious that is.

Comment

Thanks Ronin, I try my best to make it enjoyable for all.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X