question for athiests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question for athiests

I'm just curious so bear with me here. Do you think athiesm would be less popular if there were less Fred Phelps/James Dobsons and more John Shelby Spongs/Michael Dowds? Would athiesm be less popular if religious folk in the media didn't seem so ignorant and hateful all the time? Yes or no and explain why.

In case you have no idea who I'm talking about, this is Spong http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/1764/spong.html and this is Dowd http://thankgodforevolution.com/

Query: would atheism be more popular without Richard Dawkins?

Comment

No. If anything, if Phelps and Dobson didn't exist, atheism would be more popular since people wouldn't be hated for it.

A good chunk of people already don't believe in the Christianity bullshit. If it wasn't pushed on them, they would have an easier time just realizing that they are atheists.

I don't think it would be less popular with more Dowds and Spongs. Right now you have a lot of idiotic Christians and that doesn't deter new members.

Comment

Perhaps it helps spread to word about the bullshit but not a massive impact.

Question to theist, does the past of your organised religion not deter you from being a part of it? I see being Catholic like being part of the KKK, as an active member you support the organization and everything it stands or stood for ie the countless deaths in the name of God. I'm not assuming your Catholic its just an example.
        Originally posted by sochin101
        Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
        Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

Comment

Originally posted by Abusivemelon
          Question to theist, does the past of your organised religion not deter you from being a part of it? I see being Catholic like being part of the KKK, as an active member you support the organization and everything it stands or stood for ie the countless deaths in the name of God. I'm not assuming your Catholic its just an example.
          Well, I'm not a theist, but I do have to ask, "Have you renounced your citizenship?" The vast majority of the things you want to blame on the church were actually perpetrated by countries for secular gains. Quite alot of them by your country.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
            Well, I'm not a theist, but I do have to ask, "Have you renounced your citizenship?" The vast majority of the things you want to blame on the church were actually perpetrated by countries for secular gains. Quite alot of them by your country.
            Fair point but a country changes political ideals and I had no say in where I was born. Living in a country does not mean you condone the actions of the people in charge, I feel being an active part of a club (for lack of a better word) with those unchanged morals as there is still active condemnation of those who do not fit into "gods chosen group."

Belonging to organised religion is a choice, you can study the book of your choice independantly. It would be hard for me to set up life entirely independant of political groups.
            Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
            Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

Comment

Also I do not blame the church, I am of the opinion humanity as a whole will find reasons to brutalize each other but voicing your support for an organization of that kind is contrary to the morals laid down by the religions themselves.
              Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

Comment

I am an atheist. There is no proof that a god exists. Whether the people who support the belief in said god are well spoken and reasonable or knuckle dragging morons doesn't change that fact. Another word for believing in something without evidence is delusion. :happy:
                Walrus Mike

http://www.phillymma.com/

Comment

Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
                  Two different things. Humans will always fight and kill each other over anything. But if you remove religion you remove an excuse and the real issues become apparent. And once the real issues are laid bare propper assesment over whether fighting is really worth it can begin.

EG Missionary: "The priest over there wants you to Kill those infidels 'cause God dosent like them. and youll go to hell if you dont."

Worshipper: "Well ok God is always right and I dont want to go to hell eeer. guess I have to"

Verses

Beurocrat: The president WANTS YOU to go kill those peole cause he wants their gold, and their wimmin and their buffalo are fat and tasty

Random potential recruit: Fuck Off. go kil yourself AND GET A REAL JOB

Comment

Originally posted by Hungry
                    Beurocrat: The president WANTS YOU to go kill those peole cause he wants their gold, and their wimmin and their buffalo are fat and tasty

Random potential recruit: Fuck Off. go kil yourself AND GET A REAL JOB
                    Meh, religious motivated violence is ridiculously rare in history compared to the other stuff. And religiously motivated non violent change is pretty much the only kind. Prety much every positive step forward in human ethics before the most recent century has been motivated by religion and led by the religious, and even now non religious folks empirically don't do as much for their fellow man (charity, community involvement).

Now I don't personally think that religion is actually required for that, and we may even have reached the point where it may be more in the way than it is pushing us forwards, but the whole notion that "religion makes more violence" is a load of ahistorical horse dung.

Comment

Originally posted by M1K3
                      I am an atheist. There is no proof that a god exists. Whether the people who support the belief in said god are well spoken and reasonable or knuckle dragging morons doesn't change that fact. Another word for believing in something without evidence is delusion. :happy:
                      I think that's only delusion if you don't realize that there's no evidence to believe in something.

Comment

Originally posted by Abusivemelon
                        Fair question. In my personal view, the actions you are referring to are the worst possible blasphemy imaginable (using the name of God to do harm to one another). I AM very concerned about the things to which you refer and that's why I don't go to church or have very fond feelings towards organized religion as an institution. Some churches might be great but I've never felt church was that important to develop a relationship with God and seeing as I don't believe God endorses Church related slayings, those things have nothing to do with my relationship with God, but I can see how it would scare some away and that's why I made this thread.

Comment

I would still be an atheists id just be less worried.

Comment

Originally posted by kracker
                            I'm just curious so bear with me here. Do you think athiesm would be less popular if there were less Fred Phelps/James Dobsons and more John Shelby Spongs/Michael Dowds? Would athiesm be less popular if religious folk in the media didn't seem so ignorant and hateful all the time? Yes or no and explain why.

In case you have no idea who I'm talking about, this is Spong http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/1764/spong.html and this is Dowd http://thankgodforevolution.com/
                            In America? I don't know. But I do know that I'm an atheist because it makes sense, not because I'm rebelling against any overt religious influence (because there really isn't any here), I think that the vast majority of Northern European atheists will concur with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Robot Jesus
                              I would still be an atheists id just be less worried.
                              I bet you either did or did not eat a hot dog yesterday - either way we are all going to hell because of it or not.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X