how do u practice sweeps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do u practice sweeps?

how do you incorporate sweeps into solo training? doing it in the air doesn't help and bags are too high. also out of curioisity what part of the foot do you use(different styles do it differently) when u sweep, i use the bottom of my foot then scoop

I think using the heel is better

Comment

Re: how do u practice sweeps?

Originally posted by TheHungsta
      how do you incorporate sweeps into solo training? doing it in the air doesn't help and bags are too high. also out of curioisity what part of the foot do you use(different styles do it differently) when u sweep, i use the bottom of my foot then scoop

could you clarify what you mean by the bottom of the foot

Comment

My foot only leaves the ground when I do a kick sweep, otherwise the bottom of my foot is flat on the ground. I make contact with my shin.

When practicing sweeps solo, I sweep chairs.
        “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

Re: how do u practice sweeps?

Originally posted by TheHungsta
          My favorite training drill (I initially learned it in silat and saw it again in xingyi) for sweeps is the following combination:

-do a circular sweep from the outside to the center
          -do a linear sweep from the center to the outside
          -repeat

If you want some resistance, do it at speed in the pool. Yes, you will look like a goof.

Comment

There are a few basic types of standing sweeps.

1) Sickle - your foot is basically flat (skimming floor) and hits the opponent's heel or front ankle as low as possible. The result energy breaks the friction between their foot and the floor. If their weight is on the swept foot, they fall down.

2) Shaving - This is where you (usually) turn your foot sideways and hit the opponent's ankle with the bottom of your foot as they are stepping. Your opponent needs to be moving or already off balance to do this well.

3) Reap/Chop - Your whole leg cuts through your opponent's, usually making contact on his calf. O soto gari is a chop.

4) Hook - Similar to a reap/chop, but you lift upwards to "uproot" the opponent's leg.

How do you practice them solo? Well, I know that Masahiko Kimura was known for practicing his O soto gari on small trees. Supposedly shaolin monks practiced their Iron Broom sweep on trees as well.

Perhaps if you could get some sort of table with long legs and put a bag of sand on top of it, it might give you a feeling for sweeping a person. Though a person is definitely better.

Comment

Originally posted by Skummer

3) Reap/Chop - Your whole leg cuts through your opponent's, usually making contact on his calf. O soto gari is a chop.

Thoughts on this.
              I actually learned an "o-soto geri" in Wing Chun....
              Then compared it to the one in JJJ....

Variations, kick the achilles nasty, good for hurting the guy.
              (Hitting with the heel of shoe.)

The reap/chop, good for explosive throw.
              (Contact with your calve, or back of knee.)

The "grapevine" of the leg making you fall on them in side mount.....

Edit: Oh yeah, I seem to be able to throw a hip/body check into O-soto geri once in a while.
              Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

I practice 'em with a straw broom...

Comment

I more do backheels than sweeps
                  What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
                  http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Comment

Skummer, in the sickle what part of your foot do you hit with?

Comment

In the sickle sweep you generally hit with the front of your own ankle. Though it can be done in reverse where you hit with your heel.

Comment

PizDoff- I've been taught that Osoto-Gari always has a hip/body check to it. If you are too far away to body check then you are too far away for Osoto-gari on a resisting opponent.

How where you taught it? My experience is form Judo and Shidokan.

Comment

My sensei loved sweeps followed by a straight punch-grab the head-knee to the face. We'd just do them in the air, then against a nonresisting opponant (who was to do sweep defense, an inward lift, and then use the same leg to do a side kick, and then try them out sparring. Inward crescent kicks are similar and it might help getting them down on the bag.
                          "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

Working...
                          X