Tingsen Xu Grandmaster of Tai Chi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tingsen Xu Grandmaster of Tai Chi?

Anybody know anything about this guy? He is teaching a Tai Chi Class at my Girlfriends College. And she asked me about it so I thought I'd get the answers from you guys instead of making stuff up lol! So has anyone heard of him or trained with him? BTW I already googled him so don't just post links please.

What is his name? what style of Taiji?

Comment

like the title says :)

name: Tingsen Xu
      Style: all that is listed is Tai Chi Chuan

Comment

Well, I don't know of ANY style of Taiji that has a Grandmaster OUTSIDE China.
        But find out the style of Taiji and maybe we can see who this guy is.
        Ask your lady if the moves are ALL the same speed, ask her if he mentions "jing".

Comment

She hasn't taken the class yet, it starts next semester and she is researching her options. It's for a PE credit so she thought it might be a neat option to learn some new stuff. HE is also a proffessor and medical researcher at Emory.

Comment

Styles of Taiji:
            Yang
            Chen
            Sun
            Wu

I think that is it.

Comment

What's this? A tai chi grandmaster here in Atlanta? Strange that I haven't heard of him.

Anyway, it's easy enough to see his skill. Contact him and ask him to push hands or spar. If he refuses, especially pushing hands, then chances are he's full of crap. You could also ask him for a brief description of the 8 gates. If he doesn't know what you're talking about... boolsheet!

Heck, if you give me a contact email, I'll question him myself. I'd be elated to find a genuine tai chi master in Atlanta.

Comment

If I had a nickel....

If I had a nickel for every dirty old Chinaman who claims to be a Taiji master I'd be a fukking millionaire.

How exactly DOES one become a Taiji master anyway? You stand in a few weird poses and wave your arms around. Then you convince some dimwitted American that you can use your chi to eat yourself a few apples and oranges and then shiit out a fruit salad.

Hasn't anyone woke up to the whole Taiji thing yet?
                "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Comment

If you do contact him please don't imply that one of his prospective students was checking up on him. I'm sure my GF doesn't want any undue attention as she is totally unexperienced. anywaay...

An article in Emory student newspaper:
                  HERE

discussion thread about him on a tai chi message board:
                  HERE

He is a prof so his email shouldn't be too private.

Basically I want opinions because I don't know anything about CMA.

Comment

Fukk Taiji
                    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Comment

Forget push hands, forget chi.
                      A taiji MASTER can show you the MARTIAL ART of Taiji, if this guy can't, forget it.
                      you can learn the exercise of Tai Chi anywhere.
                      If this guy starts showing you/her, how he can "push" someone away, of "defeat" them "non-violently", he is just another Tai Chi Yogi.
                      Now if you shows you some serious power, some fa jing explosive shit, LEARN from him, there are VERY few of those around.

Comment

Dressed in a flowing black and white silk uniform, he stands in the middle of a tranquil, grassy courtyard.
                        *snicker*

Seems like he's in the whole "Tai Chi for Health" camp. Not the martial art camp. So if that's what she wants... Cool. But she won't be learning to fight.

Regards,
                        Matt

Comment

Lineage Chart

Found this online. Although it's not 100% thorough, it does list an awful lot of Tai Chi lineage holders. Someone put in a metric fuckload of work to assemble this information.

Tingsen Xu is listed as a student of Po Bing-Ru, who studied under Yang Cheng-Fu. This is a Yang Style lineage; Yang Cheng-Fu being the real deal.

HOWEVER, you've really got to be wary of anyone calling themselves a grandmaster. Especially of something like Yang Style Tai Chi, which may well be the most commonly practiced style on the planet. While I can't attest to Doc Fai Wong's abilities, I've see him referred to as the grandmaster of Yang Style in several places.

Tingsen Xu has probably got some real skills. But it sounds like he's either made up his own style (a favorite tactic among Bullshidokas) or is a little off his nut. Still, he's probably worth checking out.

Comment

The Yang from Yang Chen fu, is the long frame form.
                            It sucks.
                            Yang luchan, now that was YANG Taiji.

Comment

Yang Lu Chan also taught the Large-Frame (dajia) style. Small-Frame was reserved for Yang family members, but as Yang Lu Chan's grandson, Yang Cheng Fu should have known it. Whether he taught it to disciples, however, is another story.

For your reference, Wu Quan Yu, who was one of Yang Lu Chan's disciples, was eventually taught the Small-Frame style. He later "formed" (if you could call it that; he didn't really set out to distance himself from the Yang Family) Wu Style, which continues to teach the Small-Frame.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X