X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KALARAIPPAYATTU Indian Martial Art?

Can't pronounce it...never heard of it.

http://www.indiatraveltimes.com/kalarippayatu/

It's definitely real, but I don't know much about it.

However, it's also known as Kalari & Kalaripayat, and AFAIK it's originally from the state of Kerala in India. So if you want more info, you might want to try those words in your favorite seatch engine.

Comment

In the Book: Comprehensice Asian fighting arts, there is some info.
      And also the book:
      The way of the warrior

Comment

Ronin, you do a lot of reading don't you kid? I appreciate it.

Comment

First, thangs for the "kid" remark, I feel younger already :)
          Dude, my library can put some real libraries to shame !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ronin69
            First, thangs for the "kid" remark, I feel younger already :)
            Dude, my library can put some real libraries to shame !!!!
            I'd take that up you Battle of the BOOKS challenge!:D

I know what you mean. I have TONS of material over the years.
            ______
            Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
            -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
            The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
            -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Why don't you two bookworms post your libraries as a new thread. Perhaps others, that can read, will join in.

Comment

I started "collecting" Ma books in 86 and before I know it...
                I have SO much stuff , I need a whole room just for the books.
                Nice to have though :)

Comment

speaking of books, here's the only book i know that's readily available on indian martial arts: 'When the Body Becomes All Eyes' by Phillip Zarrilli. it's fairly scholarly, and knowing something about hinduism (which is quite a task in and of itself) would be a good to have coming to book. the guy who wrote it comes more from a dance and performance background, so a great deal of the book focuses much more on a cultural aspect....this isn't a howto manual at all. its a good read, however.

Comment

ronin69 you started collecting MA books in 86!!! Thats when I started collecting as well.
                    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

Thanks spazman.

Comment

The first mag I ever got, the 20th anniversary of Black Belt magazine, but the first book ever was in 82 a german gook on Shotokan, I started collecting in 1986, that first book? Mas Oyama's Hard cover: This IS karate

Comment

spazman...haha, i get that a lot, especially at karaoke night.

Comment

My girlfriend is currently in Kerala, which is where Kelari comes from. She sent me, of all things, an article from a women's magazine that she had been reading, that describes a mother/daughter team of Kelari practitioners. For what its worth, the art is described as including:

meithari: "simple breathing excercises. A series of workouts beginning from the lower extermities helps students acquire flexibility and strength"

kolthari: "this stages involves training with wooden sticks and staffs"

ankathari: "daggers, swords, shields, and spears are some of the weapons that one is exposed to at this stage"

Verumkai: "The practitioner can combat with the armed, or the unarmed, using bare hand fighting techniques"

Marmachikila "Marmachikilsa is an effective cure for ailments like rheumatism, back problems, paralysis and other nervous disorders, wherein therapy is induced by giving suitible pressure to the marmas- the vital pressure points in the body".

I also had a Silat teacher use an arm lock on me that he said came from Kalari, leading me to believe that the art includes grappling.

A special thanks to Femina magazine, the number one source for information about Indian martial arts in my room.

ec

Comment

hmmmm.....thank you. "marmas"

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X