Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tai Chi vs. Shuai Jiao (no, this isn't one of THOSE threads)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a light sparring session with a wrestler (not sure what style, he said he did 'pro wrestling', this meant very little to me).

I got pounded. He just kinda walked up to me ignoring my (probably feable) punches and roughed me up a little. Now if i had shaolin skills, this might have been a different story...

Comment

I really cannot see a tai chi guy (definately not Yang style) causing any trouble for a half-decent Shuai Jiao student..not in a similar weight category. Maybe someone who studies a more throwing based method of tai-chi like Sun or Chen would have a chance..

If the original story is true, then it is not simply down to tai chi, there are no doubt other key factors involved. However, a student of any kung-fu would benefit greatly from studying a throwing art like Shuai Jiao or Judo..

Comment

Fuck weight categories, what is up with that shit????
        I thought Martial arts were suppose to be effective "irregardless" of size.
        Weight divisions is BS.
        You wanna show how good you are? beat a guy that outweights you by 100lbs, then I will be immpressed !!!!

Comment

I really cannot see a tai chi guy (definately not Yang style) causing any trouble for a half-decent Shuai Jiao student..not in a similar weight category. Maybe someone who studies a more throwing based method of tai-chi like Sun or Chen would have a chance . . . If the original story is true, then it is not simply down to tai chi, there are no doubt other key factors involved.
          Fuck weight categories, what is up with that shit????
          I thought Martial arts were suppose to be effective "irregardless" of size.
          Weight divisions is BS.
          You wanna show how good you are? beat a guy that outweights you by 100lbs, then I will be immpressed !!!!

Comment

The comment on weight divisions was a comment in general, not aimed at you at all.
            But good answer.
            Although I believe that if you routinly tarin with people that outweigh you or are "bigger" than you, the better you will be for it.
            "Maybe someone who studies a more throwing based method of tai-chi like Sun or Chen would have a chance "
            I don't know about Sun, but the Chen style I have seen had 70% strikes, some throws and locks, no pushs.
            I wouldn't call it a "thowing based system".

Comment

Well, looks like we'll have to test this guy ronin69 and anyone else that wants to come to TO and play.
              Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Promises, promises.....

Comment

>>>>>>>>>>>
                  I really cannot see a tai chi guy (definately not Yang style) causing any trouble for a half-decent Shuai Jiao student..not in a similar weight category. Maybe someone who studies a more throwing based method of tai-chi like Sun or Chen would have a chance . . . If the original story is true, then it is not simply down to tai chi, there are no doubt other key factors involved.
                  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Interesting thread, but Im curious about this statement. Why wouldnt Yang style work in this case? Why woould Sun or Chen style work better?

Comment

Although the Chen style is know for its "combat effectivness" in Asia, I don't know of anyone who teaches that way here.
                    The Yang style is very respected in Asia also, the OLD yang style, the one the kept the "small" frame, the Fajing ( explosive moves) and the teaches cavity presses and strikes.
                    The Sun, I know nothing about.

Comment

As for the shuai jiao guys my guess is that they are from China and thats why they wernt that succesfull. The Chinese government (a bunch of idiots) has this tendency to water down anything martial. Including shuai jiao. Fighting tends to be discourage. Now the guys from Taiwan tend to be good wrestlers. They dont have all this goverment interference nonesense. There are three main styles of shuai jiao that originated in China. There are a bunch of misc. unknown styles as well.

As for Wu style tai chi it does have wrestling moves in the system. It was created buy a guy who took Yang Tai chi and wrestling. He combined the two to form Wu tai chi. Whatever you do dont take tai chi from anyone from China maybe with the exception of Chen style. If you must, learn from someone from Taiwan or Macao.
                      Yang style Tai chi from what I understand was created more so for its health benifits and is a challenge to use for fighting. The only teacher that really teaches it for fighting is Yang Jwing Ming in Boston.
                      Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

This is all true - forgive me for remarking that Sun/Chen is more throwing-based, they are still predominantly striking arts.

Yes, I have also heard good things about the old form Yang style of Tai Chi - but, and I admire and respect tai chi here (I don't think it sucks!), I simply don't think that most tai chi taught in the west is taught with a view to fighting. There are some academies that train in a combat orientated way i.e. more contact based with sparring and emphasis on application rather then drills and forms. Still, these skills take an age to learn and against someone who continually trains in a sport/full contact capacity (such as Judo or shuai jiao), they simply won't be prepared.

In competitions, grapplers and those trained in throwing arts naturally have an advantage because they can train their chosen speciality in a more realistic way then tai-ch etc. How many tai chi schools that you know also teach you to take a punch so that your structure does not collapse when you are stunned?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X