Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tai Chi vs. Shuai Jiao (no, this isn't one of THOSE threads)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty good translation, Monkey.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

Thanks, Wastrel. Savvy Chinese, I take it?

Comment

Enough to recognize "Research Institute". Which I think is pretty good. The only one that threw me was the Candian-Chinese thing.
        Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

I was at a Halloween party tonight and was chatting with a the husband of a coworker and the subject of martial arts came up.

He mentioned he did Tai Chi, of which I am fairly familar, and Shuai Jiao, which honestly I never heard of before. As he put it his instructor taught the two were one and the same, Shuai Jiao was the practial application of the stuff he learned in Tai Chi. Thus I was very suprised to hear about the "other teams" attitude towards Tai Chi when I read your story when I got home.

Maybe this guys school was unusal, but from what he described I wasn't suprised you could hold your own in a Shuai Jiao match, especially given the attack strategy of your opponent.

Comment

Dunno . . . I don't want to give the impression that these guys were big assholes or anything. After the match, they were pretty polite--although they did try to stick me with a silver medal instead of a gold the following day. The fact that the Sifu looked down his nose at me may not have been because of my style at all. Maybe I just don't look like much of a threat (it's probably the pigtails).

However, despite the fact that Shuai Jiao resembles Tai Chi on a superficial level (at least it did for them), my opponent did seem caught off guard by a lot of the neutralizations I used.

As far as Shuai Jiao being the "practical element" of Tai Chi goes, I'm not sure what to tell you. Where I train, Tai Chi is the practical element of Tai Chi.

Comment

Exquisite.

pigtails
              Er.........

Yeah.....when I heal up I'd like to get all the TO people together and do some throwing down.

Also, do you compete in pushhand comps?
              We'll do some together when we meet. I expect to get thrown around bit.
              Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Originally posted by The Wastrel
                I will. Ankle pick.
                An Ankle Pick is just an App of "Pick Up Needle" a Taiji Standard .

Taijimen know how to deal with them .

Just because they dont Stand on their Toes dosent mean that they are Immobile , nor that they dont know WHEN to move .

Comment

Damn, Osiris was sooo right

Comment

Also, do you compete in pushhand comps?
                    We'll do some together when we meet. I expect to get thrown around bit.

Comment

"As far as Shuai Jiao being the "practical element" of Tai Chi goes, I'm not sure what to tell you. Where I train, Tai Chi is the practical element of Tai Chi."

I might have misunderstood, but it sounded like his instructor just taught it all in one program. He made it sound like the "Tai Chi" he taught was like forms and the Shuai Jiao was like sparring.

Comment

An Ankle Pick is just an App of "Pick Up Needle" a Taiji Standard .

Taijimen know how to deal with them .

Just because they dont Stand on their Toes dosent mean that they are Immobile , nor that they dont know WHEN to move .
                        Kind of exactly my point Djimbe. Only in reverse. I wasn't trying to pull a "street fighter" atitude, the word I use for the notional arms race.

I was just trying to point out that the story (not Monkey's) is implausible because it rests on a pastiche of wrestling techniques that is possible only if you don't know anything about wrestling.

The idea that wrestlers are totally confounded by rooting is ridiculous.

Comment

I was just trying to point out that the story (not Monkey's) is implausible because it rests on a pastiche of wrestling techniques that is possible only if you don't know anything about wrestling.

The idea that wrestlers are totally confounded by rooting is ridiculous.
                          Who proffered this Idea ? I just Re-Read the Thread , and I didnt See it Intimated by ANYONE . Who said that ?

I was just pointing Out that an Ankle Pick would NEVER Blindside anyone from a Decent Taiji School , becuase its one of the most Obvious Applications of the Form that there could ever be .

Comment

back in college when i did taiji i had plenty of opportunities for semi-friendly matches with wrestlers. it was funny how well i fared seeing as how my ground game was (and is) lacking. some of them would get pissed off after a while of me just standing there with my feet planted, i would just sink and turn.....'gawd dammit you faggot, do sumpthin you piece of shit!!' one actually yelled at me.
                            This is implausible. As Vargas said, "sink and turn" is not some kind of wrestler-mystifying technique.

Comment

maybe it was WWF lol
                              CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Comment

Oh, I was mystified by that 'technique', all right, just not quite in the manner it was intended. Sometimes, I wonder if the people who claim to have gone up against a real honest-to-God college wrestler realize how explosive those guys really are. We have two ex-college guys at Jackson's and it is almost im-fucking-possible to get them on the ground or prevent them from taking you there. I'm not saying that story was bullshit, but the thought did cross my mind. . .
                                "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
                                "Shadow Box"

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X